Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Unhappy Wifi/sync issues with Kobo Glo

Hello,

As far as I can tell, sync has never been fully functional on the Kobo Glo but I was never using it. Now, with Pocket integration in 3.0, I use it every day and this is the problem I*have:

1) Very often, a sync will never finish. Everything seems fine but the "sync wheel" keeps turning and turning. If I*disable the wifi, it warns be to cancel the sync (which doesn't work). Only solution is to reboot.

2) When I successfully sync and disable wifi, wifi cannot ever reconnect. It happens every time. So to reproduce :
- Sync
- Disable wifi once the sync is finished
- Reenable wifi

From now on, the wifi icon will stay greyed out before disappearing. It will never be able to catch any signal anymore. Solution :*reboot.

3) That one has always happened, as far as I can tell: during a sync, the whole device will freeze completely. Nothing happens any more. Only solution:*reset (long push on the power button).

Those experience are very frustrating.

Am I the only one encountering those issues?
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Update :*for 2) not even needed to disable the wifi. The wifi will connect only once after a reboot. Then a new reboot is required.
Advert
Old 11-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, but I am not seeing this. I can sync many times without a restart.

I occasionally see the never ending sync, but can track it to other issues. At work, it means the WiFi router needs to restarted. At home, it means the ADSL connection has problems. In both cases, other devices/computers are also having similar looking problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
ploum
Zealot

So the user erikssenmar867 has the same problem on both Glo and Aura HD.

This is not related to the wifi network has the kobo doesn't even try to connect to it. If I go in the preferences and choose another network, it fails immediately (without waiting for at least 1-2 second, to try).

The Wifi icon itself appears less than 1 second when trying to connect.

I've tried to reset completely the Kobo without any success. This was introduced with 2.10.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:25 AM   #5
ploum
Zealot

DavidFor solution that solved the problem for me:

Kobo have changed something recently to improve the speed of reconnecting. Something might be wrong with that. Try adding the following into your "Kobo eReader.conf":

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
FastWifi=false
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 04:03 AM   #6
ploum
Zealot

Ok, I managed to try with yet another wifi router and, with this one, it works. It's incredible :*the kobo would connect to one and not the other.

I have no idea what could cause this.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
zweiundachtzig
zweiundachtzig began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo (N613)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploum View Post
Ok, I managed to try with yet another wifi router and, with this one, it works. It's incredible :*the kobo would connect to one and not the other.

I have no idea what could cause this.
Hi ploum,

I bought a Kobo Glo yesterday and think that it has the same issue as yours. However, the device did not freeze on me up to now, but any action requiring internet access after the initial connection is lost just aborts with a "there was a problem...." message.

All wifi networks that I could test up to now where WPA2 with CCMP/AES encryption ("fritz!box 7240 home router and android tethering), and I would like to keep it that way.

Do you know which kind of wifi protection your networks were using? The one that worked and the one that didn't.
If I don't get the unit to work during this evening, I'll try to get a new one tomorrow...

Thanks for reporting your problem! I hate this kind of "soft errors" that first work. Its really hard to search for them with google etc.

Best

Update 1: Reducing the wifi security to WPA with TKIP did *not* help. Same problem: Wifi connects, send device to sleep, wake it up, wifi does not work

Update 2: sadly the "FastWifi=false" from DavidFor did also not work. First, I thought that it changes the behaviour, because the Glo still had wifi after awaking it, but maybe I just waited less time before turning it on again. A second try resulted in the original problem.

Update 3: Last try was rebooting the router. Also to no avail. The router log shows that it actually connects to and disconnects from the wifi, 2 times in short repetition, before failing. The log shows no details about the authentication outcome, though. Let's see if I get a new unit tomorrow at the store...

Last edited by zweiundachtzig; 12-06-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: update
zweiundachtzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
palomino22
palomino22 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
just bought a kobo glo, third one actually, first wouldn't start, second won't sync books from online library. book files show up in my computer, not in kobo. any ideas?
palomino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
zweiundachtzig

Ok, today I exchanged the unit at the store. The new one shows the same behavior. M newest insights (tl;dr: no solution found):
  • It works with the wifi at my parent's home (IIRC a Speedport W 701V router with b+g standard on channel 2 with WPA/WPA2 PSK)
  • tried to emulate the same settings with my Fritz!Box and it didn't work, even without any encryption. I'm puzzled...
Old 12-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
ploum
Zealot

zweiundachtzig > It seems that, for whatever reason, the Glo doesn't want to connect on some routers. What is really strange is that it doesn't appear for any other devices we have at home (including :*a desktop PC with a wifi card, a laptop, a netbook, two smartphones, a tablet).
Old 12-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
zweiundachtzig

Lightbulb

I kind of fixed my problem a little bit... maybe yours too?

In some other forum I have read about DHCP issues and investigated a bit further.

The freshly booted Kobo got two different IPs for the same MAC addresses, which is kind of odd. I suppose it sends out two DHCP request in quick repetition. See attached screenshot from the router webpage. Also the 255 address is strange, because (depending on the subnet size) it should be for reserved for broadcasts (?)

Now, I have set the DHCP to always assign the same IP address to this MAC and rebooted the router to get rid of the current double allocation. Good thing is that it correctly receives one IP address now, bad thing is... it solve the problem only a little bit. After sleep mode the stupid "There was a problem ... please try again" message is still popping up. BUT, trying it again actually worked! Without a reboot.

Maybe other routers are a bit more fault tolerant against the double DHCP request? Or answer quicker to avoid a second request.

Credit where credit is due: This guy had the same idea already in 2011
http://www.lesen.net/forum/ebook-rea...ten/#post42126 (if you can read / google-translate german)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KoboGlo-Fritzbox-DHCP-Problem.png
Views:	812
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	116467  

Last edited by zweiundachtzig; 12-10-2013 at 08:04 AM. Reason: small addition
Old 12-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
ploum
Zealot

Today, I switched my ISP and I have a brand new router. The bug persists and the kobo only receive one IP.

But as I said previously, the kobo doesn't even try to send one single packet.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:30 AM   #13
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I don't know if this would be any help to anyone having issues, but I experienced the following with my Glo.

Initial setup worked fine with wifi. Managed to connect and go through the whole process with syncing etc.

Today I tried to sync again after enabling the wifi from the home screen. The sync caused the Glo to hang, requiring a reset.

I noticed that the wireless connection doesn't get automatically re-enabled if you press the wifi icon on the home screen. It shows the wireless is enabled, but does not show the wifi icon. To get the wifi to work you need to go into settings, Connect to network. It then searches for a network and connects to the known network (one already created during the setup process) correctly.

Sync managed to complete correctly. Disabled wifi from the home screen, and re-enabled it and saw the same issue where the wifi didn't connect automatically upon enabling it again.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:20 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by zweiundachtzig View Post
I kind of fixed my problem a little bit... maybe yours too?

In some other forum I have read about DHCP issues and investigated a bit further.

The freshly booted Kobo got two different IPs for the same MAC addresses, which is kind of odd. I suppose it sends out two DHCP request in quick repetition. See attached screenshot from the router webpage. Also the 255 address is strange, because (depending on the subnet size) it should be for reserved for broadcasts (?)

Now, I have set the DHCP to always assign the same IP address to this MAC and rebooted the router to get rid of the current double allocation. Good thing is that it correctly receives one IP address now, bad thing is... it solve the problem only a little bit. After sleep mode the stupid "There was a problem ... please try again" message is still popping up. BUT, trying it again actually worked! Without a reboot.

Maybe other routers are a bit more fault tolerant against the double DHCP request? Or answer quicker to avoid a second request.

Credit where credit is due: This guy had the same idea already in 2011
http://www.lesen.net/forum/ebook-rea...ten/#post42126 (if you can read / google-translate german)
I would have to say that the firmware in your router has problems. Unless your router is very oddly configured, the address ending in the .255 octet is very likely to be the broadcast address for the address block and that address WOULD never be given out by any DHCP server even close to standards compliant.

One way to check if your router is misconfigured is to take a look at the netmask (PC, ipconfig from a command prompt, Mac or Linux, ifconfig from a command prompt). If it is 255.255.255.0, you are using a single class C block and the 192.168.xxx.255 address is the broadcast address.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:55 AM   #15
ableeker
Enthusiast
ableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
My Kobo Aura HD, and the wife's Glo had the same problem, after a reboot they connect succesfully, but when they've gone to sleep, they won't reconnect at all, until the next reboot. We only had this problem after updating to firmware 3.0+, the 2.10 firmware and earlier didn't have any problems connecting. Our router is a Fritz!box 7360, a Speedtouch 780 worked though.

As zweiundachtzig mentioned, some users of the German forum lesen.net had the same issue, and they offered the tip to set up DHCP on the router in such a way that it assigns the same IP address to the Kobo's every time. That solved the problem with our router! I feel it should work with a non-fixed IP address, and it actually did before the 3.0 upgrade, so it's a bit of a work-around, but it's working for us.
ableeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reboot, sync, wifi