Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #196
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
OK, ordered the paperwhite and looking forward to it!

Rats, just when I had decided to put my old KFire on eBay (am using my Kindle Keyboard much more, only use the Fire for nighttime reading), they bring out a new one and release it in Germany. Well, nevertheless...

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #197
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
After the initial disappointment about the Paperwhite being US-only for now, I resigned to it and was even glad to have another ~6 months or so until deciding whether to get it or not ... and today I saw that a local bookshop that imports ereaders has the Paperwhite for preorder.

So, while I don't actually need it (and I'm pretty sure I'll miss the page turn buttons - it's often cold in my room, so I read under a blanket or fleece throw and with page turn buttons, can keep my hands warm under the blanket and still be able to turn the page; this was one of the things I really LOVED about going from paper books to the K3), I succumbed to the temptation.

150 euro for the ad-supported WiFi version... quite a bit more expensive than for Americans, but I doubt I could get one from Amazon direct any cheaper, as they won't sell me the ad version even once the Paperwhite goes international, and with shipping and customs and VAT... will probably come to about the same anyway.

Now I just have to wait. The only problem is that the local shop has no covers for the Paperwhite up for preorder, and Amazon doesn't allow me to preorder the cover either, so I'll have to read it naked. Shouldn't be too much of an issue as I don't really take my current Kindle out with me either anyway, so it sits safely in the shelf when not being read.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #198
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post

Now I just have to wait. The only problem is that the local shop has no covers for the Paperwhite up for preorder, and Amazon doesn't allow me to preorder the cover either, so I'll have to read it naked. Shouldn't be too much of an issue as I don't really take my current Kindle out with me either anyway, so it sits safely in the shelf when not being read.
Most Kindle Touch covers will fit the Paperwhite.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #199
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Most Kindle Touch covers will fit the Paperwhite.
Yeah, but I don't have a Kindle Touch, and as I rather like those new magnetic covers for the Paperwhite, I'd rather not go through the whole importing and customs etc hassle for something very expensive (once you add in the shipping, VAT, etc, and the covers are expensive even without all that) that may or may not fit and won't be what I'd like to get, anyway...

Of course, it's my own fault for preferring the official Amazon covers for the Kindle - I am sure there are lots of other nice ones out there but pretty much all of them seem to go for the "little diagonal strips in the corners" approach, and that doesn't appeal to me at all.

But anyway, as I'll be reading it at home, at least unless I decide to take a trip abroad next summer, and the most it will travel is two metres from the bookshelf to my bed and back, I'm not too concerned about having to wait. I keep my K3 in its Amazon unlit cover folded back - I don't think I've actually closed the cover for a year if not more.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #200
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
The new covers from Amazon also turn the Kindles on an off when opened/closed -- neat trick and not one the third party covers will likely do.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #201
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
The new covers from Amazon also turn the Kindles on an off when opened/closed -- neat trick and not one the third party covers will likely do.
Actually, there is a Youtube video of the Poetic cover doing just that. It only comes in black though.

daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #202
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
This is one of my favorite features on my iPad cover.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #203
Azythe
Azythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with others

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
Of course, it's my own fault for preferring the official Amazon covers for the Kindle - I am sure there are lots of other nice ones out there but pretty much all of them seem to go for the "little diagonal strips in the corners" approach, and that doesn't appeal to me at all.
to the official amazon covers!

I dislike the irritating stripes that hold the kindle too. I find it distracting when reading. I also seen other covers that use 3M adhesive to hold the back of the paperwhite to the case, but I'm highly doubtful of its quality after prolonged usage.
Azythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:43 AM   #204
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
None. Would have had the paperwhite if it was available to me over here. I've settled for the kindle touch and actually think it's a nice upgrade.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote