Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Facebook/Google Plus/Twitter—Does anyone here LIKE social media networks?

Having just read through the "Gah! Facebook!" thread and seeing that we appear to have a lot of people here who are somewhat less than enchanted by the big social media networks, I couldn't help but wonder—is there anyone here who actually likes any of these sites? While not a big poster on Facebook, for example, I do find it a convenient way to keep up with family members and things that are happening in their life. Not to mention it's a great way to find out about things our son won't tell us but has no compunction about sharing with the world.

Do you use any of them on a regular or semi-regular basis?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I have a Twitter account I never use.

It seems really ironic to me that I am a member of MR but I toally boycott Facebook/Twitter/Google Plus.

If I had to give a reason it would be security, or lack thereof, that seems to be a major problem, or was a major problem, with these sites. That and I just do not think I am an interesting enough person to have people wanting to know what I am up to every minute of every day.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used to be quite active on MySpace, but it got old after a while. Not that many of my relatives were active on it, though, and that makes a difference. Some of my relatives are almost daily posters on Facebook, especially the younger set, but I see posts from ones my age and older as well.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I use Twitter constantly. Much of my consumption of current event and issue discussion arises from Twitter, and its micro-contact/blogging form is highly compatible with my extremely limited social skills and needs - it is most of my social sphere (online and IRL). Also, I indulge myself in my penchant for absurdity with nary a smidge of feedback other than the occasional unfollow, so there's that. I also get more out of television by watching it in the company of Twitter, either with joint enthusiasm or injecting pleasure into stale reality TV via communal derision. It is all fun & games. I like it. It's the only social media that works for me. Oh, I also tweet the occasional photo for ego-feed, which is nice.

I dislike Facebook. I have a Google+ account which has been closed and opened a few times. I prefer its control and relative simplicity, but barely post.

I am @ozlangur on Twitter. You won't like me, and I'm frequently childish, ridiculous, melancholy, sweary, dull & NSFW. So don't follow me.

But I like Twitter. A lot.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
I like facebook a lot. My emo bunnies and I keep up with all the insane people I know, especially my family.

I also like twitter because it allows me to jot down all the random, nonsensical thoughts that float through my head.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Nope!
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #7
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
While not a big poster on Facebook, for example, I do find it a convenient way to keep up with family members and things that are happening in their life. Not to mention it's a great way to find out about things our son won't tell us but has no compunction about sharing with the world.
Exactly the same here. LOL What kills me is seeing how little discretion my kids use in posting/tweeting the most personal and trivial things, then hearing them call it "creeping my FB" when friends/family actually read them. :what:

Quote:
Do you use any of them on a regular or semi-regular basis?
Very, very rarely.
Guess I'm just a creeper.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #8
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I use both but prefer Twitter. Yay to a few positive replies now I have a few more fellow mobilreaders to follow
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I might get on Twitter just so I can follow @ozlangur oh, and @eproduction (or however it's spelled)

But don't hold your breath.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
...LOL What kills me is seeing how little discretion my kids use in posting/tweeting the most personal and trivial things....
That's our experience; except our son is 38 years old.

Our daughter uses more discretion, thankfully.

Heck, even our teenage grandson uses more discretion (the granddaughters aren't old enough to be interested in social media).
Old 10-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I might get on Twitter just so I can follow @ozlangur oh, and @eproduction (or however it's spelled)

But don't hold your breath.
There are a couple that I follow. Nate's tweets are of special interest to MobileReaders:

Nate the great ‏@thDigitalReader

Then there's this guy:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curiousity Rover Tweet.PNG
Views:	302
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	93498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Curiousity Rover Tweet 2.PNG
Views:	260
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	93500  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-05-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Add 2nd attachment.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I'm frustrated with both of them, we are encouraged to use them so people "like" us and will do business with us. I can't even remember my handles 90% of the time. maybe I'll look them up and post them here, maybe if I get "popular" I'll be the next big deal
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

The only social media site I have ever used is Facebook, and I actually find it useful. It let's me keep up with going on in the lives of close friends and family, we can exchange interesting or funny stuff we find on the web, and I also have “liked” a lot of sites and that keeps me up with new happenings, material, and in the case of public radio program Facebook pages alerts me before hand to broadcasts I might want to listen to. I do have a very small set of “friends” though, just people I really know well and like in real life.

Some of my family and friends on Facebook really seem to lose any sense of proper restraint in their posts though. These people also seem to have a huge lists of “friends” as well, often in the 100s. The deeply personal information that they essentially broadcast to 400, 500, 600 people, most of whom they only know on line, astounds me. In an extreme example I never saw anything before like all the back and forth of a very messy divorce put out there by a splitting couple. Add into that all the comments from many of both of their “friends,” often “friends” of both, and what a soap opera.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I have facebook and twitter, but don't like them much. I do more reading than blabbing.
I went on facebook to shut people up, mostly. I go and I play a couple of the games and ignore my "friends".

I unfriended about 180 people after my mother died. They were the ones who were active, online, and who forwarded me silly jokes but couldn't be bothered to say something comforting to me, they had not even noticed I posted about it. (And others who had had me hidden.... i mean sheesh, why bother?)

Facebook is so fake at times. Only people I have kept on are those who are real life people who we have a mutual interest in each other, after all that is what it really SHOULD be for when I'm using it as a social media thing.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #15
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
I used Facebook to keep in touch with family and friends. As I travel so much for work, it allows me to post a very short message to say where I am and that I'm ok, so my old dear doesn't have to worry too much.

My sister sadly uses it to comment on anything and everything, and I recently had to switch off a friend as her pro-semetic rantings got a bit too much for this poor lapsed Catholic....
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote