Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have 3-4 main chars, and each of them have a group of primary supporting chars that match them. So not sure how you count that. Those supporting chars are pretty fleshed out, and critical to the story, but then I also have a layer of "that guy in the background that makes the scene real"

For example you might have 2 chars go to a gas station in NJ were gas attendant helps them. That attendant needs to be there (self serve is illegal in NJ) for the scene to be believable, but he is more of a prop then a character. Probably most good stories have a ton of those kinds of characters.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
DarnellSaki
The Boy With 1000 Stories
DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexuz 7
It depends, I think in fantasy stories you can get away with a huge cast of characters, and if you feel like it's overburdening to your readers you can make a character map at the back of the book.

The trick however is to make each character have a distinct voice so they stand apart from eachother.
DarnellSaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #18
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
a man eating shark (why are there no woman eating sharks?)
A colleague's loyalty. Ever heard the term man-eater?
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #19
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
Yes, I suppose that you could have them turn cannibal and dispose of some character with a burp. Or maybe have a man eating shark (why are there no woman eating sharks?) chew its way through some superfluous characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
You have to maintain control or your efforts chance becoming tedious both for you and the reader or even sloppy.

If necessary, try random character elimination.
These two suggests sound like very similar suggestions

As the cast and threads of a story grow I do think that a certain amount of random karma (good or bad) is appropriate and realistic. Of course it remains important that you don't appear to be just killing off your problem children.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #20
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
I got to agree. In fact you could consider me an expert on the species, both fresh water and salt water. I don't have any missing limbs thank goodness but I got a lot of scars and like a friend of mine likes to say "I built a lot of women houses."

On the plus side of things, I am starting to get a whole lot of darling grandchildren.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #21
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
DarkScribe
a man eating shark (why are there no woman eating sharks?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Pronounced collegiality is a trait of army ants, killer bees, wasps and some other groups.

Last edited by frahse; 09-21-2012 at 06:36 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #22
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
I use 1 or 2 main characters for short stories (usually 1), and 1 to 4 supporting characters. I use 1 or 2 main characters for novellas, and 3-6 supporting characters. Thus far, I've used 3-5 main characters for novels with about 3-20 supporting characters.

There's usually a few mentions of other people with little description and no background, such as portly cook, tall shopkeeper, man on the street #2 . . .
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote