Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Need a fantasy book recommendations

Guess I am not as nimble as the rest of the fantasy book readers, although I do not mind the really huge size of the novels, I find it difficult to keep keep up with all of the characters that Greg Martin has in his books (song of Fire and Ice and so on). I need a book series with a simpler cast such as Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth. What do you recommend with a simpler cast?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, if you can't get the author's name correct (George Martin), maybe something along the lines of Go Dog Go!

I'm going to recommend my all-time favorite fantasy series: the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.

Last edited by queentess; 03-31-2011 at 04:58 PM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Guess I am not as nimble as the rest of the fantasy book readers, although I do not mind the really huge size of the novels, I find it difficult to keep keep up with all of the characters that Greg Martin has in his books (song of Fire and Ice and so on). I need a book series with a simpler cast such as Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth. What do you recommend with a simpler cast?
Maybe the Elizabeth Moon Paksenarrion books? Sheepfarmer's Daugher, Deed of Paksenarrion, and Oath of Gold. I enjoyed those when I read them years ago and I also see she has a couple of new ones set in that world I need to investigate (Oath of Fealty, Kings in the North).

I had the same problem with G.R.R. Martin. He doesn't follow his characters or has too many of them to follow and he doesn't have a coherent plot, IMHO. I got lost and gave up which is a shame because I loved the first book.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Maybe the Elizabeth Moon Paksenarrion books? Sheepfarmer's Daugher, Deed of Paksenarrion, and Oath of Gold. I enjoyed those when I read them years ago and I also see she has a couple of new ones set in that world I need to investigate (Oath of Fealty, Kings in the North).

I had the same problem with G.R.R. Martin. He doesn't follow his characters or has too many of them to follow and he doesn't have a coherent plot, IMHO. I got lost and gave up which is a shame because I loved the first book.
Sheepfarmer's Daughter is a Baen freebie!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I recommend two of Michael A. Stackpole's awesome stand-alone fantasy novels; Once A Hero or Talion: Revenant. Proof positive that "Epic" can be achieved in one book.

Series? Sorry, I'm not currently recommending any series
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
How about The First Law Series by Joe Abercrombie? I am reading book 1 The Blade Itself right now and it's very good. Not too many characters and really well written.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Sheepfarmer's Daughter is a Baen freebie!
Cool! Maybe I'll re-read the entire series.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
I'm going to recommend my all-time favorite fantasy series: the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.
Great series, I loved that one. A one volume fantasy that I would like to recommend is "Tigana", by Guy Gavriel Kay. A series that I've had a lot of fun reading recently is "The Riyria Revelations".
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Elantris or Mistborn, from Brandon Sanderson. The first is a stand alone book, the other is a trilogy.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Will try Brian Sanderson and Joe Abercrombie. Also Baen is also a good source as well.

Last edited by jbcohen; 03-31-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:43 AM   #11
TaureanBull
Guru
TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle 3-3G
Not sure which all have you read before. You can have a look at these books:-

Acacia Triology - David Anthony Durham
Coldfire Trilogy -C S Friedman
Demon Triology - Peter V Brett
Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
queentess
Reading is sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
How about The First Law Series by Joe Abercrombie? I am reading book 1 The Blade Itself right now and it's very good. Not too many characters and really well written.
I had problems getting into the First Law series. It had an odd tone to it. Didn't make it very far into book 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Great series, I loved that one. A one volume fantasy that I would like to recommend is "Tigana", by Guy Gavriel Kay. A series that I've had a lot of fun reading recently is "The Riyria Revelations".
I've read the first 3 in the Riyria Revelations, and they're so fun. I swear that book 2 was based around Trogdor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Elantris or Mistborn, from Brandon Sanderson. The first is a stand alone book, the other is a trilogy.
I seem to be the only person who loved Mistborn and hated (not disliked) Elantris.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
I had problems getting into the First Law series. It had an odd tone to it. Didn't make it very far into book 1.

I've read the first 3 in the Riyria Revelations, and they're so fun. I swear that book 2 was based around Trogdor.

I seem to be the only person who loved Mistborn and hated (not disliked) Elantris.
I fear that the last book in the Riyria Revelations might have the publishing date pushed back to 2012:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael...ia_Revelations

I didn't hate Elantris, but it took me ages to get through. I've been meaning to get to the First Law series. I'll be sure to take a look at Trogdor!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #14
jbcohen
Wizard

I beleive the dresden files are about vampires? Don't particularly care for vampire tales. However Brett, Freidman and Durham are possibilities. I was looking at Brett's novels this morning and they are looking good.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I beleive the dresden files are about vampires? Don't particularly care for vampire tales. However Brett, Freidman and Durham are possibilities. I was looking at Brett's novels this morning and they are looking good.
If the books are like the TV show or I should say, if the TV show followed the books, then its more about Demons than Vampires. In fact, I don't remember seeing any Vampire on the show. It was a very short lived show, unfortunatly.
The Dresden Files is one of the series on my Wish List.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote