Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Getting ready to buy

Hello,
I have been searching the forums for a few days getting ready to purchase a new 505. I have an older Mac powerbook with me, I have read about and downloaded libprs500. I have limited access to a PC so I want to make sure that I purchase the correct format.

1. Fictionwise has multi-format ebooks obviously I will look for the Sony Format first after that should I do the LRF conversion?
2. I am outside the U.S. My wife will be shipping mine to me should I have her authorize it first? How many computers can you authorize it for?
3. What all comes in the box with it? I already know I will need a charger. How about a cover, Memory stick etc???

I am sure I will have tons more questions, However I will search the forum before I post.

Thanks,
Jerry
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I think the total number of devices which can be authorized to an account at the Sony Connect web-site is 6 (if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me!) which can be any combination of computers and readers. The reader is not linked to a specific computer, but of course the computer it tries to communicate with the Connect store needs to be authorized, since the content is downloaded to the Connect software on the computer and then later transferred to the reader as you wish.

I see no need for your wife to authorize it first while she's in the US, other than to make it easier for her to download the bonus books you want.

For books which Fictionwise doesn't have in Sony format, you can purchase the LIT format version and then use programs which are discussed in other threads here to strip the DRM from the LIT file, and then use LibPrs500 to convert to LRF format.

For the charger, buy the less expensive Sony PSP charger, since it is the same and works just fine. You can even buy a car charger for about $20, if you'll be travelling a lot and won't be near reliable electrical sources at night.

In the box you get the reader and a cover and the USB cable. No Memory Stick, no charger. The 505 can read up to 8GB memory sticks and only up to 2GB SD cards. Be forewarned, though, that using the memory stick and/or the SD card will run the battery down faster, and will also slow things down on the reader after you get a certain number of books on the memory stick and/or the SD card.

While it will be possible to put many thousands of books on an 8GB memory stick, it can seriously deteriorate your reading experience, and many people on this forum don't use memory cards at all for just that reason.

Depending on the type of reading you plan on doing, you can put several hundred essentially text files on the reader itself without need for memory card, which should be more than enough for all but the longest travels. (we're talking months and months -- a typical vacation of 1 to 3 weeks will certainly be fine with book you can load into the internal memory of the reader without memory cards.)

Enjoy! I can't imagine how I got along without it since I'm having a blast reading many fine books available through Project Gutenberg and not available in print anywhere.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
I have limited access to a PC so I want to make sure that I purchase the correct format.
My favourite format is rtf.
There are quite a few sources where you can get formats easily convertable to rtf. Like Baen, project Gutenberg, and many, *many*, MANY other places. You should probably start by going through the e-books collection on this site. Just click on the link on the top of this page.

If you still wish to purchase books a good choice would be *.lit format. You can then use program convertlit (search this forum) to convert the book to html and then use OpenOffice to convert to rtf.

Please experiment with rtf files until you find a combination of fonts, fontsizes, indentations, margins, ... that is the most pleasant to read for you.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Thanks,
For all the input after I posted on the charger I found the thread about using a PSP one which I have. The only issue I see with the .lit format is I am using a Mac so I thought I had to stay with LRF or PDF.

Jerry
Old 01-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
The only issue I see with the .lit format is I am using a Mac so I thought I had to stay with LRF or PDF.
FYI, keep in mind the PDF format books that you generally buy are DRM'd and WILL NOT work on the Reader. Other PDFs will work with varying degrees of success. PDFs formatted for an A4 or Letter size page will generally display poorly. PDFs formatted closer to 3.5" x 4.5" (like what Feedbooks has) or so should display just fine. Of course there are tools out there to convert Letter PDFs to a more usable format which folks use with varying degrees of success.

FWIW, I'm using a MacBook Pro and buy LIT books and convert them in Windows XP via Parallels or Bootcamp and it works fine with the Sony software and MS Reader. I don't know if that's an option for you or not.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:46 AM   #6
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Im using a mac and there is no need to run windows XP at all!! just use libprs to convert your lit books to lrf.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:56 AM   #7
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

I have already downloaded libprs I will find a couple books to experiment on with the conversion. I do not have the luxury of running windows on my Mac because it is an older powerbook. I have virtual PC but it is a Windows 98 version.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Im using a mac and there is no need to run windows XP at all!! just use libprs to convert your lit books to lrf.
I do use libprs500 for conversion. How do you get around the fact that to download a LIT book that you've purchased you need an activated copy of MS Reader which only runs in Windows?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
FYI, keep in mind the PDF format books that you generally buy are DRM'd and WILL NOT work on the Reader. Other PDFs will work with varying degrees of success.
Locked PDFs (that you can not print, copy, etc.) do work. I only had a problem with one PDF, a 24 inch by 36 inch blueprint.

You need a cable that would charge a PSP from a USB, AC (240V?) or car (12V?) outlet.

It will take up to a 2GB SD card, and up to a 8GB memory stick pro duo (MSPD) - not a memory stick or a memory stick pro. It's tough to find stuff, so I use one ($13) 2GB SD card for math books, one for Java books, etc, etc, etc.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
But you DO need a Windows machine, with Internet Explorer, and an activated copy of Microsoft Reader, in order to be able to purchase LIT books in the first place. I am assuming that you ARE talking about legitimately purchased LIT files!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:47 PM   #11
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I do use libprs500 for conversion. How do you get around the fact that to download a LIT book that you've purchased you need an activated copy of MS Reader which only runs in Windows?
The LIT books from Baen seem to be zero-DRM involved. (I purchased a few today and am very pleased that they don't have DRM.)
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:32 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgharold View Post
The LIT books from Baen seem to be zero-DRM involved. (I purchased a few today and am very pleased that they don't have DRM.)
Yes Baen's book are DRM free, but they're pretty much the only ones. For most any other Lit book you must have an activated copy of MS Reader installed (along with Internet Explorer) to download the book.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So what we are trying to say is that if you want DRM free eBooks, you NEED Windows. Saying you have a MAC and do not need Windows is not true.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote