Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Don't like formating of most free books

I've noticed that most free books have this formating where there is a space between paragraphs. I really don't like this because it means less text fits on the page. This is probably so it is easier to read on a computer screen.....thus not meant for ebook devices.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Personally, I prefer the space between paragraphs, even on my PRS500.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
I've noticed that most free books have this formating where there is a space between paragraphs. I really don't like this because it means less text fits on the page. This is probably so it is easier to read on a computer screen.....thus not meant for ebook devices.
I agree. Try those on Feedbooks, we indent the paragraphs instead of adding an extra white space: http://www.feedbooks.com/help/kindle
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Personally, I prefer the space between paragraphs, even on my PRS500.
My old eyes have an easier time reading with the blank space between paragraphs.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
... we indent the paragraphs instead of adding an extra white space....
Heh, I like to have both indents and the extra line. Ain't it funny how much personal preferences can vary on such things?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Heh, I like to have both indents and the extra line. Ain't it funny how much personal preferences can vary on such things?
Yeah, I also noted this sort of personal preferences with margins.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Take a look at most of the free books on MobileRead. You'll see them indented without the excess line space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #8
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
And I honestly don't mind it either way. I usually don't really notice...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:44 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The answer is simple - create your own books, like many of us do here. That way you can format them the way that YOU want them.

I suspect the reason for blank lines between paragraphs isn't for computer screens but the opposite - PDA screens. These are very narrow, and indents don't work very well.

When you've created your books, please upload them here so that others can share them. Look forward to seeing the results of your work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #10
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
i hope that one day they have it such that u can change the formatting! it's an ebook...this should be one of the benefits of ebooks over paper books.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
i hope that one day they have it such that u can change the formatting! it's an ebook...this should be one of the benefits of ebooks over paper books.
You can change the formatting. Use tompe's "mobi2html" tool and you can "explode" any DRM-free MobiPocket-format book into its Open eBook source. Do whatever the heck you want to it (it's just HTML), then rebuild the book with the free "MobiGen" tool.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #12
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can change the formatting. Use tompe's "mobi2html" tool and you can "explode" any DRM-free MobiPocket-format book into its Open eBook source. Do whatever the heck you want to it (it's just HTML), then rebuild the book with the free "MobiGen" tool.
I guess that what markbot would like to see, is such an option on the device itself. Somewhere in the settings, you could switch between "no blank space" between paragraphs, or "blank space".

That's actually something that could be possible with most formats. In epub for example, you could have a different stylesheet that would basically add this blank space after the </p> tag.