Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Post Request to Test "Sun Tzu's The Art of War" eBook

Greetings,

I would be grateful if some people could test the attached 4.9"x6.9" PDF on their various eBook devices, and provided me with some feedback on the quality along with potential suggestions for improvement.

If this is not the appropriate forum for this sort of a posting, I apologize. Please inform me and I shall remove this post and repost it in the appropriate place.

Sincerely,

AHI

Ps.: The PDF uses 4.9"x6.9" paper size--in other words, it should display flawlessly (at regular magnification) in most second generation ePaper devices.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf taowde_ebook.pdf (217.1 KB, 361 views)

Last edited by ahi; 05-17-2009 at 04:25 PM.
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is a 12pt font size version of the same PDF. Would it be ideal to provide 3 font size editions? 10pt, 12pt, and something larger still?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf taowde_ebook_12pt.pdf (224.9 KB, 337 views)
Advert
Old 05-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The book looks great what most eBooks should look like.

The layout is very clean and easy to read.
Great job on the format

A few things.
- The margins are too thick. I would recommend reducing the margins
- Font size I liked but some folks might find the size a bit too small. Removing the margins should fix this.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
ahi
Wizard

Thanks, =X=! Glad to hear it's going in the right direction!

I assume when you say the font size might be too small, you are referring to the first (10pt font size) document.

Here's is the same document with 11pt fonts, and a smaller margin. (I should note that the 12pt and this 11pt PDF's did not have their bookmarks and related metadata fully fixed up yet.)

Is it better? How do you find the margins? (They are now the thinnest they can be made due to the idiosyncrasies of the text's typesetting.) Is the ruled header helpful and non-disruptive? Are the page numbers helpful, or do some readers have automatic page numbering that it may conflict with?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf taowde_ebook_11pt.pdf (216.0 KB, 325 views)
Old 05-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Using EZ Reader (Hanlin V3 type) with OpenInkPot, I am able to read the 12 pt. version but would be more comfortable with a 14 pt.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
ahi
Wizard

Try this one, slayda! 14pt font, and minimized margins.

Can I ask if your preference for a large font size is technological (small font sizes are generally difficult to read on your reader of choice) or personal (whether due to preference or less than 20/20 eyesight)?

Unfortunately the larger the font size the more difficult it is to keep the typesetting ideal--but even this 14pt version is pretty good.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf taowde_ebook_14pt.pdf (242.2 KB, 340 views)
Old 05-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Thanks, =X=! Glad to hear it's going in the right direction!

I assume when you say the font size might be too small, you are referring to the first (10pt font size) document.

Here's is the same document with 11pt fonts, and a smaller margin. (I should note that the 12pt and this 11pt PDF's did not have their bookmarks and related metadata fully fixed up yet.)

Is it better? How do you find the margins? (They are now the thinnest they can be made due to the idiosyncrasies of the text's typesetting.) Is the ruled header helpful and non-disruptive? Are the page numbers helpful, or do some readers have automatic page numbering that it may conflict with?
I've looked at all the books 10/11/12/14pts. The 11pts with small margins looks the best. With the Sony readers a user can get away with 12pts but 14 is just too large. People can always increase the font size but they cannot decrease them.

The headers works and I think are a good idea. I like calibre's approach where it makes the header a smaller font than the body and puts it in the upper right corner so that it is readable but small and out of the way.

The page number is useless and only take up precious space. Most if not all readers have some form of progress tracking as well as page count. If your ebook is catering to eBook Readers I advise removing them.

Oh I forgot to mention this but the PDF files do not have the "Author" meta data filled.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
Vanquiz
Vanquiz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I tried 10/11/12 on my PRS-505

I found the 10/11 are too small, 12 is still small compared with my usual 9pt lrf, but I think it's the best fit for me.

I also tried to convert the pdf to 9pt lrf with Calibre, but then all the space / header / etc are gone, so I went back with the PDF 12.
Vanquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquiz View Post
I tried 10/11/12 on my PRS-505

I found the 10/11 are too small, 12 is still small compared with my usual 9pt lrf, but I think it's the best fit for me.
That sounds quite odd... is the PRS-505 (which I am eagerly anticipating in the mail next week) not 4.9 inches by 6.9 inches? If it is, there should not be such a large discrepancy in the font-size... 12pt looking smaller than 9pt.

Is the 14pt too large, Vanquiz? Or is it your preferred size?
Old 05-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
Vanquiz

That's what confused me too, Im not quite sure the technical detail with all these ebook things, since Im new to this, but here's what I have.

Im using Caecilia font (Using Valloric guide on changing default fonts on 505), then with Calibre, 9.0 is my preference size when converting to lrf.

First, I thought 10pt PDF is perfect for me, but turned out even 12pt PDF is much smaller compared to my usual 9pt LRF. Maybe the Caecilia font have something to do with it, Im not sure.

I havent try the 14pt yet, but I thought since 12pt is works fine for me, I didnt bother to try the 14pt.

Last edited by Vanquiz; 05-18-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #11
ahi
Wizard

Vanquiz, any chance you'd be able and willing to post a photo of your device viewing the 12pt version of the PDF? One of the pages in the chapters already (as opposed to the title page or copyright page)?

Your explanation did not yield me any clues as to what could cause what you describe... unless somehow you are actually viewing material at 12 pt fonts, despite your preference setting of 9pt...

If you can, thanks in advance! If you cannot--I shall have to learn to live with this mystery.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
Vanquiz

Pardon the quality, I took this with my cellphone :P

For comparison, I also took my usual 9pt LRF shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_050.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	29230   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_047.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	29231   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_051.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	29232   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_049.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	29233  
Old 05-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #13
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquiz View Post
Pardon the quality, I took this with my cellphone :P

For comparison, I also took my usual 9pt LRF shots.
Thanks!

Hmmm... your 9pt font size seems larger than 9pt to me. Maybe some other forum members can comment?
Old 05-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #14
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
That sounds quite odd... is the PRS-505 (which I am eagerly anticipating in the mail next week) not 4.9 inches by 6.9 inches?
The device is ~5x7 inches. The screen is just a touch bigger than 3.5" x 4.75".
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #15
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
The device is ~5x7 inches. The screen is just a touch bigger than 3.5" x 4.75".
How embarrassing... my bad then. I'll repost properly sized PDFs later today.