Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #136
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
thinpad:

That is nifty. I have need of an app to make simple floor plan doco. Maybe that will do the trick. Worst case it got me looking when I had no idea such apps existed on Android.

Off to spelunk the bowels of the Play Store for apps...
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:47 AM   #137
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
It isn't bad at all. I'm hoping he paid version will improve even more.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #138
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
It isn't bad at all. I'm hoping he paid version will improve even more.
haven't had time to do anything with Floor Plan Creator but it does look pretty useful.

For now I've been focused on using the s-pen. Ihave to say it's wonderfully useful. I'm impressed with the accuracy of cursive writing. Some of the, ahem, " words" would serve as names in any Fantasy novel about middle earth. I' ve just never been able to adapt to onscreen keyboards & the s-pen is just like using the old PDA pens. of course everything is so much More accurate today but ease of use is a thing of beauty .

Will post links to some nifty YouTube videos but am fading FAST.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #139
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, writing is really surprisingly accurate, if the Newton had been this accurate we'd all be using Apple devices today. The more you write with it the more accurate it becomes truly useful AI.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:41 AM   #140
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Received a Note 8 for my birthday a few weeks ago. This is big news, because I (formerly) hate(d) Android.

I am in love. I got the white one, which is what I wanted. I love the S-Pen and S-Note. I've barely scratched the surface of what this device can do, but it seems to have nearly endless possibilities.

So far the only drawback I have found is with using the device as my primary e-reader - Aldiko insists on storing ebooks in the main memory, and there doesn't appear to be any way to coerce it into accessing them from the external SD card.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 02:43 AM   #141
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Link2SD should fix that.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #142
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Link2SD should fix that.
Thanks, I'll look into it!!

* I should also clarify here that that small drawback is an Aldiko problem, not a device issue.

Last edited by phenomshel; 07-25-2013 at 02:53 AM.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:57 AM   #143
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Received a Note 8 for my birthday a few weeks ago. This is big news, because I (formerly) hate(d) Android.

I am in love. I got the white one, which is what I wanted. I love the S-Pen and S-Note. I've barely scratched the surface of what this device can do, but it seems to have nearly endless possibilities.

So far the only drawback I have found is with using the device as my primary e-reader - Aldiko insists on storing ebooks in the main memory, and there doesn't appear to be any way to coerce it into accessing them from the external SD card.
amazing device isn't it? I ended I ended keeping the white model even though I much prefered the Brown/Black. I saved $50 plus it is in acase 90% of the time anyway, The savings paid for a Wacom CS- 3002W Bamboo Feel Stylus [ Be certain on +he EXACT model number as the CS-300W or CS-3000W apparently do not work properly with the Note 8.0 ( too big of a off-set on the screen).

Still working on a detailed review but a couple changes, mere niggles really, are rethinking button layout (always pressing volume, on/off & Home buttons when handling device).

Autocorrect & suggest needs a TON ofwork to even reach the level of the standard Android keyboard. But that can be addressed with software so we might see improvement inthe next couple updates. Spell check is 'simply mon-existant when writting with the stylus. These issues are ihe largest bottleneck for my use. Fix them & handwritting speed would reach close to the typing skills of most folks using a "real" keyboard. Pen input already blows any on screen keyboard I used away.

Lag on HWR is present but just a matter of learning to work with it. Still faster algorthyms have to already be in the works. Yeah it can be that bad at times. Part of the problem, the screen is too smooth. a help might be a screen protector which offers a paper-like feel while writting.

I'm disappointed that Spigen will not be offering one of their Glas t. tempered glass screen protectors. They are perhaps the best screen protectors out there in that they offer true shatter/crack protection if you drop you tablet. Check this YouTube video to see what I mean.

[yt]TfgKLwGnOZs[/yt]

Stylus calibration would be nice so we can nice more easily us a stylus better suited to a given individual.

Last edited by rkw; 07-26-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:10 AM   #144
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness

Quote:
Yes, writing is really surprisingly accurate, if the Newton had been this accurate we'd all be using Apple devices today. The more you write with it the more accurate it becomes truly useful AI.
Nice to read it improves. So far, and it's only been about a week of daily use, I'm a bit frustrated now & then with HWR along with SPEEL chack and suggestions. I look forward to observing an improvement. No matter it's not so bad for me that it would put me off the family. [ see it just replaced "family" with "faimly" for some reason.]

I also have yet to figure out how to improve accuracy on periods, commas, apostrophys and other puncuation. Maybe I'm "training" it wrong? Do I need to use the suggestion bar more rather than delete & rewrite?

EDIT: Something I've noticed in my behavior is using hand written input I seen more willing to carefully read what I write before pressing "send".

Last edited by rkw; 07-26-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:32 AM   #145
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness

I forgot to add a very cool side benefit from an under appeciated feature the s-pen brings.

If you are using Tapatalk HD [don't know about other versions] hover the S-pen over the short snippet for a post or thead &a popup will display that snippet. I oivginallf thought hovering was cute but sort of useless. Now I am lost w/o it & use it constantly in different apps which support it.

The scrolling feature has become very useful for me as well.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #146
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

After entering a comma or a full stop it is important that you enter the next letter, a minuscule alerts the software that it was s comma you entered a majuscule that it is a full stop. When you want to enter numbers there is a special numbers mode, start there and after a while the software has learned how you write numerals and you will be able to do it directly.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #147
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness

Quote:
After entering a comma or a full stop it is important that you enter the next letter, a minuscule alerts the software that it was s comma you entered a majuscule that it is a full stop. When you want to enter numbers there is a special numbers mode, start there and after a while the software has learned how you write numerals and you will be able to do it directly.
Kuma,

You made me open a dictionaryr... putz...haha

I had no idea miniscule also means " lowercase" and I assume macroscule is uppercase. Cool to learn new word use and alternate definitions. Thanks!!

I had noticed it seems better at parsing numbers when I write. And yes the number pad makes life easier at times.

I've been relying, mostly, on my experiences with Palm OS in the "before time". Sometimes that helps, other times not so much. I am seeing improvement with punctuation if I try and stay ahead of the parser as it seems to read the scribbles in context.

I also see improved text accuracy if I stay parallel to the lines in the input box. Keeping lowercase proportional to ucase helps too.

In general I'm really impressed with the effort Samsung put into the code. st's bona couple years since I needed my own MS based PC so resided if apps using Wacom on Win based tabs/convertible PC's have advanced inthis area but I can only assume so. That said I'm still very pleased with what this device offers,

One weirdism I notice is ... oh, heck the thought was there but it went *poof* just as fast. I'll remember soon I'm sure.

I do guess I should RTFM on text input to get a few clues. But its'been so long since a manual was truly useful that it's become my last thought when learning a new device or software.

I don't know about anyone else but it has been forever since a computer has been so much fun and useful. I really do look forreasons to use it. For a longtime I've been totally bored and uninspired with all my PC's including a series of quite underwhelming Android tablets.

I can't wait forthe next large version. Only reason I have not sold my Infinity is I had Asus TF 300T with the same resolution Asus TF 300T which has the same resolution as the Note 10.1and it was not easy to use for long sessions. The Infinity (TF 700T) is 1980 x 1200 and wonderful on a 10" screen at close range. I just can't drop back knowing how much nicer the same resolution is on the Note 8.0. The great equalizer for my Infinity is the keyboard dock. Worst case is I use it only as a tiny notebook while I wait for the next Noto 10.1 early next year I am guessing. If I can't wait I'll try and work a trade with someone.

Oops!! I really rambled sorry, blame the morphine?? hehehe
Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #148
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
This is something that I don't like about Aldiko as well. I ended up switching to Mantano Reader, which references your books from wherever you prefer to store them without creating duplicate copies.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #149
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Speaking of the Note 8, I really wish Samsung would make something like this with high resolution. I'd have been very interested if it had had a 300ppi screen, because I love my original Samsung Galaxy Note phone and its S-Pen.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #150
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Well, Samsung will begin selling the Ativ Q any day now. Highest resolution of any tablet on the market today.