Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
RainIntoRainbows
RainIntoRainbows began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini, NOOK Color, NOOK Classic, Kobo WiFi
Question Can't Delete Calibre Library Directories

I'm not sure what on earth I've done, and it's been this way for awhile now, I'm just finally starting to (attempt to) fix it.

I had my Calibre libraries in a folder designed to backup to Google Drive. I eventually got tired of Google Drive, as I was repeatedly ending up with errors, so I uninstalled it, created a new Calibre Library, and moved all my old books over. They are added just fine to my Calibre Library now, but the problem is that the old directories where they were stored can't be deleted. When I attempt to delete, I get a message that states: This is no longer located in <path>. Verify the item's location and try again.

I'm sure I'm probably not explaining this well, but I'm now stuck with "dead" folders that can't be removed. Does anyone know what's causing this, or how to delete these folders that Windows seems to think aren't even there?

Thanks.
RainIntoRainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A

What did you do?

If you try and delete a shortcut and the target is gone, it might complain.
All I can think of:
1) is your file system is damaged (you are seeing a ghost) , run the disk repair utility
2) you no longer have (delete) Rights to those folders: Google 'Taking ownership'. Note: Usually the message is different.

You have rebooted
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Some things to try if not tried already:

1. If just using the tools available in Windows probably the first thing I would try would be to open the cmd: prompt and type "rd [Drive:]path /s"

So, for example, if the folder you are having problems removing is D:\myfolder\books type after the cmd: prompt

rd D:\myfolder\books /s

It is case insensitive.

2. Because I have it already installed, I would myself try the application Unlocker. While this is oriented to deleting known to be locked files and folders it will often delete them if there is no apparent reason for the problem. If wanted to try it is at http://emptyloop.com/unlocker/ . To use just highlight the troublesome folder in Explorer, right click, select Unlocker and follow the instructions to delete. It is safe to use.

3. Sometimes you may find that even though you cannot delete a file or directory in Explorer that you can rename it and it may then be able to be deleted.

4. Ensure that the problem folder is empty (even if it looks empty). Open the cmd: prompt and type the path to the folder followed by del *.* . Then try to delete the folder.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Are you looking at the file system with Windows Explorer. I'm recall one popular 3rd party file manager would get 'persistent ghosts' into its mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
If wanted to try it is at http://emptyloop.com/unlocker/ . To use just highlight the troublesome folder in Explorer, right click, select Unlocker and follow the instructions to delete. It is safe to use.

If unlocker doesn't delete immediate or offer a delete on reboot option, try booting in to Safe Mode and deleting there

Maybe worth running a chkdsk on the drive

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
RainIntoRainbows

Thanks - Nothing Working

I've tried every.single.thing. and nothing works. From more investigation, I'm wondering if this might be coincidental (since these are the folders I had in my Google Sync) and more related to Google than Calibre.
Advert
Old 07-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
RainIntoRainbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Are you looking at the file system with Windows Explorer. I'm recall one popular 3rd party file manager would get 'persistent ghosts' into its mindset.
Yup, sure are. Unlocker even tells me it can't delete, and to see if it will work after rebooting, which of course doesn't work, even in Safe Mode.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainIntoRainbows View Post
I've tried every.single.thing. and nothing works. From more investigation, I'm wondering if this might be coincidental (since these are the folders I had in my Google Sync) and more related to Google than Calibre.
Given what you have tried so far I suspect that you are correct.

Unfortunately (well I am glad really ) I know nothing about Google Drive so cannot offer anything related to that except to say that from my experience it is not entirely unusual for cloud applications to produce ghostly relics.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
RainIntoRainbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I know nothing about Google Drive
I highly suggest you keep it that way. In general, I'm a big fan of all things Google, but the Google Drive Sync? Nightmare. Total nightmare.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
1. Try boot from your install DVD and delete the file from command line

2. Download an eval (45 days) copy of cfi Shelltoys from http://www.cfishelltoys.com/ - it's safe, I've used for 5+ years on XP, Vista & Seven - it adds a sub menu to your Windows Explorer right click menu

Use its Delete on Reboot option - this has worked for me on files that I couldn't remove with unlocker

I hasten to add this was on other peoples computers, the problem were probably caused by games, although in one instance it was definitely the Bonjour software that came via an early version of ITunes.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-14-2013 at 07:25 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainIntoRainbows View Post
I highly suggest you keep it that way. In general, I'm a big fan of all things Google, but the Google Drive Sync? Nightmare. Total nightmare.

Just talking in general terms in the following.

I assume that when you said that you "uninstalled" it you deleted the folders in the cloud first? If not, maybe the synch'ing folder(s) on your PC are inaccessible due to some outstanding dialogue between them and the cloud based ones.