Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #31
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
When this site started, many, many years ago, everybody had the same starting point, so people were accumulating Karma very slowly. As the Karma points, and time spent on a forum accumulated (because, as we know, Karma points you can give is computed from your Karma and also number of days you were registered), people were able to give more and more Karma in a single act of "thanking for the post". That caused that people had even more Karma and could give higher number of points. The result is that now there are some members that can give you 100 000 Karma points with a single click. So the amount of Karma Points that you can receive from long-time members has grown almost exponentially.

It took me looooong time to get to the point when I had 6000 points. That was after I received many thanks for my Monster Review for PB 360°. Since then, I have, in some cases, received significantly more points from just one user for a single post. But, as previous posters said, you can't see how much Karma you have received from individual poster, so newbies that can only give you 10 points are just as important as old-timers that can give you significantly more
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:19 AM   #32
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
the simple answer is entropy ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #33
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I must say I'm glad someone brought it up, as I've noticed this phenomenon as well.

I was busy with a new job and hadn't been around MR for a few months. On my return I, too, was surprised to see so many people, particularly relatively new members, who had a significant amount of Karma. I assumed that maybe MR had some sort of 'new policy' where newbies joining were given more Karma on signing up than before. I have no idea, though.

As for the Karma itself, I'm in favor of it. Yes, plenty of users have high number of posts. But the Karma count shows how much a particular user's posts were seen as positive (whether because they were informative, helpful, humorous, or due to blackmail).

I like it and see no reason to get rid of it.

Last edited by afa; 08-10-2011 at 06:28 AM.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #34
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Nice set of "karma facilitators" in your profile pic there, afa.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #35
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
It's Karmageddon!

I have a feeling something has gone haywire with the karma system - mine has taken a sudden jump too.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #36
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
the simple answer is entropy ....
That Roudolf Clausious must have been one hell of a thinker for his time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
Nice set of "karma facilitators" in your profile pic there, afa.
See that's the sort of stuff that makes you smile and press the karma button if you have any left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
It's Karmageddon!
I have a feeling something has gone haywire with the karma system - mine has taken a sudden jump too.
Sometimes . . . I must admit . . . to haywireness . . . I have . . . put the karma amount in the wrong field and realised afterword that a newbie with 10 karma points got my full share of what I could give and they probably were wondering why I posted them a message saying "100".
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #37
sock puppet
Banned
sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'sock puppet knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: eSock
Do you really think that sock puppets can morph through firewalls and give newbies hundreds and hundreds of karma points. Hmmmmm let's see how many I have to give.

Oh no! NONE! There's no karma button for newbies.

Last edited by sock puppet; 08-10-2011 at 08:28 AM.
sock puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #38
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
The zeros in the karma is just arithmetic. One can modulate the amount of k to be given.

Now, my friend wannabee has 3790000.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-08-10 at 2.20.22 .png
Views:	257
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	75348
Because he is my friend, and because I like him (the two things do not overlap perfectly, but they do in his case), I got the fancy to give him some karma. which I did, and now his karma has one more zero.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-08-10 at 2.25.36 .png
Views:	260
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	75349
See?
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #39
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
To be honest, I often forget about the karma. There have been some outstanding posts that I 'should' have clicked but got involved in a reply and just forgot. So I don't put much stock in the numbers (which, by the way are showing a lot of rounded values today). I'll try to pay more attention and use it more appropriately -- if I can remember.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #40
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Can Karma go down? Only I'm sure my Karma began with 2 and had 8s in it and when I logged in a few weeks ago noticed it's now a round number with lots of 0s. So either I'm going mad, lost karma or something strange is going on - could be any of those really!
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #41
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I got a couple of gigantic boosts from a couple of members. 14 karma adds for the over 400,000 doesn't really compute well and the amount I've recieved isn't really related to actual helpfulness. My most helpful post probably recieved the least amount of karma.

I give karma when:
1) someone helps me out
2) someone points out something I didn't know
3) someone makes me laugh or smile
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #42
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
14 karma adds
Hey, a new way of bragging.

I have over 35 pages of Karma in my user control panel. I think there's 15 per page, so that's a total of 530 Karma adds. I've been a member for four years, so that's about 130 per year, or a little over one every three days.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #43
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
... and when I logged in a few weeks ago noticed it's now a round number with lots of 0s. So either I'm going mad, lost karma or something strange is going on - could be any of those really!
Somebody decided to give you some Karma. [S]he used a calculator and computed exact amount to give to you so the resulting number of your Karma points is nice round number. Obviously such contributor must be able to give such amount of Karma points. Some users here can now give LOTS of points at once and obviously consider such "prank" amusing ;-)

Last edited by kacir; 08-10-2011 at 09:29 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #44
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Maybe an additional indication could be the number of times somebody has received karma.
So we can differentiate between somebody with 100k karma and 120 gifts and somebody with 100k karma and 10 gifts.

EDIT : or set a maximum to the amount of karma that can be given in one shot.

Last edited by Gaurnim; 08-10-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #45
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
People who post in the lounge tnd to have higher Karma then people who do not. It could be that new posters are going to the social topics, hanging out, meeting folks and getting Karma. I give out 62,000 Karma per hit right now. I don't alter the amount of Karma I give so if a new persons posts something funny in the what are you drinking thread then I give them Karma.

I give out Karma in other topics as well but I tend to check the drink thread most frequently. (shrugs)

Karma really doesn't mean much so I fial to see why it is a big deal.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote