Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #31
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Gifts are shipped unregistered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Some of my eink kindles arrived pre-registered, and some not registered. The ones that were not pre-registered did not have Special Offers until after I registered.

That makes me wonder if SOME Kindle Fires might be shipped unregistered (especially if purchased as a gift).
Gift Kindles are shipped unregistered. Non-gift Kindles are shipped already registered.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #32
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
To be honest, I'd be fine with ads on the lock screen. They don't interfere with me using the device in the slightest. Where I have the problem is with ads on the main screen when I am actually going to be using the device.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #33
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
TechCrunch is now reporting it will cost $15 to opt out of SO on the Kindle Fire.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/08/ama...offers-for-15/

The Verge as well.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/8/330...hd-ads-opt-out

Last edited by daffy4u; 09-08-2012 at 10:30 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I paid a little over $1,000 for my 13" MacBook Pro and it only has a 1280x800 screen... #applefail The FAOTD Splashtop Remote Desktop is sure going to come in handy now.
MacBooks have always been overpriced.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #35
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
$15 dollars when it's $40 on my Keyboard, ugh. Good, but still!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:56 AM   #36
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
$15 dollars when it's $40 on my Keyboard, ugh. Good, but still!
My K3 account says it's $20 to opt out. Same for KT.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:19 AM   #37
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
My K3 account says it's $20 to opt out. Same for KT.
Oh, yay, so they JUST now changed it. Hmmm. To unsubscribe or not...
Old 09-09-2012, 02:44 AM   #38
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
It's $20 each for my K3 and K4 to remove the ads. My K3 used to be $40, even though there was only a $25 price difference at the time of purchase.

Since the ads don't bother me, it's not worth wasting money to remove them. Besides, it appears that Amazon is about to resurrect their SO program; so here's hoping they have some really good offers.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #39
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
from what I've read, the 4G only alllows you 250 Mb a month. anyway. thats not enough to stream one movie a month. so essentally you'd be paying that premium to get email and some web browsing. Since many people can do that on their smartphones, it's not a very cost effective ootion. .Unless I'm missing something...?
Right. For $50 a year -- $4 a month -- you can check your mail, compare prices, get an address, check the weather, or find an address for your GPS inside your car. $4 a month and I no longer need a 'smart' phone with it's too small screen. Seems like a bargain to me.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:36 AM   #40
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Right. For $50 a year -- $4 a month -- you can check your mail, compare prices, get an address, check the weather, or find an address for your GPS inside your car. $4 a month and I no longer need a 'smart' phone with it's too small screen. Seems like a bargain to me.
That's not enough though. I mean, I went through 300MB in one entire day on my S2 Skyrocket on LTE before I had them switch me back to 3GB. I don't use 3GB, but I use more than 2 of it in a month, so it helps to have that extra bit. Web based GPS sucks your data easily.

You can estimate usage here:

http://www.att.com/standalone/data-c...tor/index.html
Old 09-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #41
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I don't have to estimate -- I have a college student with a smart phone with an unlimited data plan. Because it's unlimited, he does not bother to go wifi -- ever. So, he burns between 300 and 700m a month. I get that.

I have a smart phone which is paid for by my employer. It has by-the-byte data. I use it the way I described and rarely approach 100m in a month. So, for me, the 250m/mo for $50 per year is a good deal.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #42
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Just saw this: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-3126_7-...news&tag=title

$15 to opt out of ads
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote