Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Torture!!

Found this quote recently

"Writing in English is the most ingenious torture ever devised for sins committed in previous lives." -James Joyce

And

"Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way." -E. L. Doctorow

The second one I fully agree with, btw.

src: http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/2012/...-writing/Power
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
MidnightBlue
écureuil secret
MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Found this quote recently

"Writing in English is the most ingenious torture ever devised for sins committed in previous lives." -James Joyce

And

"Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way." -E. L. Doctorow

The second one I fully agree with, btw.

src: http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/2012/...-writing/Power
I don't understand the Doctoror quote, it makes no sense to me. A reader is limited in that they can only see what is ahead of them, the writer has no such limitation.
MidnightBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Ozman
Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ozman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Nexus 7
The two main schools of thought about novel writing are (1) Carefully plan the outline chapter by chapter, scene by scene; (2) Start with a character/situation and see what happens.

From my unscientific surveys, (2) is far and away most popular method of the world's greatest authors. I think Doctorow was referring to this method.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I rather think Mr. Doctorow was referring to the fact that while an author may know where they are starting from and where they wish to be at the end of a story or novel that said author never quite knows where they will go inbetween. Even with an outline that says x happens then y happens etc. it is possible (even probable) that the course of the story or novel will veer off from that rough plan. I mean if you are planning a road trip from say NY to LA and you know how much gas it will take and what the main routes are you can still find yourself having to detour round construction or an accident etc. so that the route you planned for and the route you ultimately take aren't exactly the same one. The same goes for writing a story or novel I would think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
I don't understand the Doctoror quote, it makes no sense to me. A reader is limited in that they can only see what is ahead of them, the writer has no such limitation.
Many writers have no more an idea where the story is going then the reader, often less. For example, Steven King in his book, On Writing admits that he does not know where his stories are going before he writes it, and is often surprised at the twist and turns his stories take. He states that he has no idea how the books will end, until he writes the end.

That is what I see in that quote at least.
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Many writers have no more an idea where the story is going then the reader, often less. For example, Steven King in his book, On Writing admits that he does not know where his stories are going before he writes it, and is often surprised at the twist and turns his stories take. He states that he has no idea how the books will end, until he writes the end.

That is what I see in that quote at least.
That's how I read it, too, but it's definitely not true for all authors.

My current WIP is a 4-book, 80-chapter piece that has been meticulously outlined from start to finish. I may find surprises along the way, of course, but I have more of a road map than just me headlights.

Still, different strokes, different folks.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I would've thought that was writing in German. Or maybe writing English translated from German.

Quote:
My writing is like driving a car during the day: I can see right to the horizon; and as long as my map will get me where I want to go, I'm good.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #8
aobduser
aobduser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aobduser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aobduser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aobduser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aobduser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aobduser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aobduser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aobduser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aobduser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aobduser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aobduser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

RE: AllOBD2.com

I only agree with the sec too.
aobduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
"Writing, at its best, is a lonely life. Organizations for writers palliate the
writer's loneliness but I doubt if they improve his writing. He grows in public
stature as he sheds his loneliness and often his work deteriorates. For he does his
work alone and if he is a good enough writer he must face eternity,
or the lack of it, each day."
-- Ernest Miller Hemingway

"In the deepest hour of the night, confess to yourself that you would die if you
were forbidden to write. And look deep into your heart where it spreads its roots
the answer and ask yourself; must I write?"
- Rainer Maria Rilke

"A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity."
- Franz Kafka

Everything goes by the board: honor, pride, decency...to get the book written. If a writer has to
rob his mother, he will not hesitate; the "Ode on a Grecian Urn" is worth any number of old ladies.
- William Faulkner
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Those aren't writers... they're fanatics.

Not every writer is like that, not even the good ones.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'll pick writing in English any day over writing in French.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekster View Post
I'll pick writing in English any day over writing in French.
Me too. Or English over Lithuanian for that matter.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Me too. Or English over Lithuanian for that matter.
Well my native tongue is American English, so of course it seems the easiest to me to work worth. I think if I moved to another country and spent 15 years there reading/writing/speaking their language primarily, my opinion of the "easiest" one might change.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
"If in doubt, add more spaceships and explosions"

-Me
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
LMB said: Challenge the characters near the point of breakdown and see how they come out of it.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote