Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Amazon metadata and covers?

Just downloaded most current version of Calibre, ....

I bought the first 5 volumes of "The Golden Age of Science Fiction" from Amazon....and cannot get metadata or covers.

I've noticed this with other indi author books bought from Amazon or Smashwords.

What am I missing/not doing?

Thanks!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Those books probably dont have entries in either isbndb or google books. They most likely do not have isbn numbers either, which makes it rather difficult to get their metadata automatically.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Those books probably dont have entries in either isbndb or google books. They most likely do not have isbn numbers either, which makes it rather difficult to get their metadata automatically.
Okay...I did manage to stumble and find the Amazon metadata download plug in and enable it.

That wouldn't make a difference?
Old 11-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

no, the amazon plugin only comes into the picture after an ISBN has been found for the book.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
no, the amazon plugin only comes into the picture after an ISBN has been found for the book.
Ah......thank you.

One more question.

They do have a "asin" number. Is that just Amazon's catalog number?
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yes that's an Amazon specific number. IIRC Amazon has stopped getting ISBNs for e-book editions, it only assigns them an ASIN
Old 11-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Just downloaded most current version of Calibre, ....

I bought the first 5 volumes of "The Golden Age of Science Fiction" from Amazon....and cannot get metadata or covers.

I've noticed this with other indi author books bought from Amazon or Smashwords.

What am I missing/not doing?

Thanks!
DG
Since you can't use Calibre to Download the cover.:
You CAN drag the Cover from Amazons page onto the "Brown Book" in the meta-data editor. It may not be as "Spif", but you have a cover.
I also sometimes copy and paste text from the descriptions page into the "comments" section.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
DG
Since you can't use Calibre to Download the cover.:
You CAN drag the Cover from Amazons page onto the "Brown Book" in the meta-data editor. It may not be as "Spif", but you have a cover.
I also sometimes copy and paste text from the descriptions page into the "comments" section.
Thanks.....thats exactly what I did, except I used the 'save picture as' to use the cover....

I guess it never occurred to me to actually manually save the metadata and cover.....

how spoiled it THAT??
Old 11-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
how spoiled it THAT??
Don't Ask... Don't Tell...

Don't get Hit :P
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #10
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Thanks.....thats exactly what I did, except I used the 'save picture as' to use the cover....I guess it never occurred to me to actually manually save the metadata and cover.....how spoiled it THAT??
Also do not overlook the author's website. Numerous times I have gotten book summaries; then via Edit Metadata; Edit Metadata Individually; and pasting into comments.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
I publish books and monographs on Amazon's Digital Text Platform, and it has never occurred to me to include metadata. Should I do that, and would it solve the OP's problem? What sort of stuff should be in it: author, title, publisher, narrative description? I write my stuff in html; I don't use Kindlegen or Mobipocket Creator.

I do include a cover, at least on my recent publications, but it's grayscale. I suppose I should future-proof these books by making it color. Would Calibre recognize the cover thus included? (Its name/id is merely "cover", which is how the Kindle navigation finds it.)
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
I publish books and monographs on Amazon's Digital Text Platform, and it has never occurred to me to include metadata. Should I do that, and would it solve the OP's problem? What sort of stuff should be in it: author, title, publisher, narrative description? I write my stuff in html; I don't use Kindlegen or Mobipocket Creator.

I do include a cover, at least on my recent publications, but it's grayscale. I suppose I should future-proof these books by making it color. Would Calibre recognize the cover thus included? (Its name/id is merely "cover", which is how the Kindle navigation finds it.)
I'm not sure that is the problem, but Kovid can answer better.......the books I wanted to download metadata from did have covers and descriptions, but no ISBM#'s...that seems to be the problem

Am I correct, Kovid?
Old 11-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yes, the problem is the absence of an ISBN.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #14
ddjohn
Enthusiast
ddjohn began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX; Pandigital-7W
When looking for covers, don't forget Google Images. Pasting the title and author names into Google often returns the book cover in many different editions and sizes. I can then select the one I like best and past it into the meta-data.
ddjohn is offline   Reply With Quote