Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #496
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iznogood View Post
As far as I can tell, this is the Carolyn Wells that died in 1942. The book is not listed as "hers" on her wikipedia page, but I guess it's her. So the book became public domain this year from what I can understand
No, next year (a book enters the public domain at the start of the year FOLLOWING the 50th or 70th anniversary of the author's death), but, fortunately for you, that's tomorrow .

So wait until tomorrow morning, and then download it from PG Australia, and you'll be perfectly legal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:25 AM   #497
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Carolyn Wells died on March 26, 1942, so her works come out of copyright in most of the world tomorrow, 1st January 2013, has been out of copyright in Canada and Australia since 1st January 1993, and is currently available at Project Gutenberg Australia

You can also find a PDF scan of the book at Archive.org
By George! Why hasn't the librarians here in Norway pointed me to these sources earlier? I have been on the lookout for this book for the past six months. Guess what I'll be doing for the rest of the day

The link from the internet archive takes me to this page on google books. Here I can read the table of contents, but I cannot read the entire book. Is the PDF with the scanned images not available until tomorrow, or do I have to do something to access it, like register on google books or take some other action to get access to read it?
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 AM   #498
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The link from the internet archive takes me to this page on google books. Here I can read the table of contents, but I cannot read the entire book. Is the PDF with the scanned images not available until tomorrow, or do I have to do something to access it, like register on google books or take some other action to get access to read it?
It's because Google books realises you're not in the US, so doesn't allow you to download it. Use a proxy which makes you appear to be in the US (http://hidemyass.com works well and is free) and you'll be able to download it. But, as I say, if you want to be strictly legal, wait until tomorrow.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #499
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found another way to it. Instead of using the "PDF (Google books)" link, I used the "All files" link and downloaded the pdf from the internet archive.

I probably shouldn't say this, but I don't really care about "strictly legal". As long as noone gets hurt financially by it, I don't care about copyright laws, strictly or loosely speaking. It's not as though she loses a sale today, is it?
Old 12-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #500
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
As far as I can tell, this is the Carolyn Wells that died in 1942. The book is not listed as "hers" on her wikipedia page, but I guess it's her. So the book became public domain this year from what I can understand
Next year.

Works come out of copyright on January 1st of the seventy-first full year after the author's death. That is, all deaths are counted as happening (for copyright purposes) at the end of December 31st in the year they occurred.

In life+70 countries, if an author died on 31st December 2000, their works come out of copyright on 1st January 2071. If an author died on 1st January 2001, their works come out of copyright on 1st January 2072.

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-31-2012 at 08:12 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #501
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I found another way to it. Instead of using the "PDF (Google books)" link, I used the "All files" link and downloaded the pdf from the internet archive.

I probably shouldn't say this, but I don't really care about "strictly legal". As long as noone gets hurt financially by it, I don't care about copyright laws, strictly or loosely speaking. It's not as though she loses a sale today, is it?
We take a very hard line on copyright issues. I wouldn't assert that you don't care about the legal issues here if I were you.

Having said that, I can't get too excited about a copyright that's going to run out in under 12 hours.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #502
Iznogood
Guru

I just said that I don't care about the "strict" interpretation of the laws. Strictly speaking, in the "strict" interpretation of the law, this post is copyrighted by me. And nobody else is allowed to use it.

I just mean that what does it matter since the book is going to be public domain soon anyway. The estate wouldn't make any more money and no harm done in any case. As long as nobody suffers any financial harm in it, the law can be slightly bended, but not broken.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #503
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I just said that I don't care about the "strict" interpretation of the laws. Strictly speaking, in the "strict" interpretation of the law, this post is copyrighted by me. And nobody else is allowed to use it.

I just mean that what does it matter since the book is going to be public domain soon anyway. The estate wouldn't make any more money and no harm done in any case. As long as nobody suffers any financial harm in it, the law can be slightly bended, but not broken.
You are correct, no one else can use it but it can be quoted and referenced back to you.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #504
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You are correct, no one else can use it but it can be quoted and referenced back to you.
Isn't that part of fair use?
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #505
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
Isn't that part of fair use?
Yes, quoting and commenting with extracts are part of fair use.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #506
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Reguest: The Last American by John Ames Mitchell

The Last American by John Ames Mitchell (1845–1918) is a satirical alternative-history novella/short story.

I tried to convert the excellent PG source of the 1908 deluxe edition, but I couldn't figure out how to change the CSS of the numerous image based small caps and inline images to make it word as an epub. (It contains so many images that it almost qualifies as a graphic novel.)

I'd appreciate it, if someone with better CSS skills than me gave it the MR treatment.

(The color PDF is available at archive.org.)

Last edited by Doitsu; 01-05-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:23 AM   #507
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@Doitsu, I might take a try at it some time in future, if I ever finsh my huge Twain project. But I did look at gutenberg's illustrated epub version, and it looked pretty ok. Is there a special reason you don't like their epub version?
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 AM   #508
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyGrumpy View Post
@Doitsu, I might take a try at it some time in future, if I ever finsh my huge Twain project.
I really appreciate the offer and would like to see a version done by you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyGrumpy View Post
But I did look at gutenberg's illustrated epub version, and it looked pretty ok. Is there a special reason you don't like their epub version?
The epub might look OK at first glance, but at least in ADE 1.7 and 2.0 there are major display problems. For example, if you look at the chapter "13th May - [A] startling discovery this morning..." (page 37/physical page 57), there's a whole section with a b/w picture in it missing (In the Mouldering Chamber, 5-13_3s.jpg, page 41/physical page 61). (The content is in the epub, but it isn't being displayed.)
The same problem also occurs in many other chapters. I.e. often text followed by larges images is partially hidden.

Also ADE displays the "The document appears to have minor errors that might cause it to be displayed incorrectly." warning, which usually indicates that there's something wrong with the style-sheet.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #509
auchau
auchau began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
From Third World to First by Lee Kuan Yew

Hi,

I am looking for the Memoirs of Lee Kuan Yew vol 2 From Third to First World: The Singapore History 1965-2000, by Lee Kuan Yew.

Please help. Many many thanks.

P/S: I'm not sure if this thread is still for requesting and begging as its title, because you all seem to be discussing but I'm looking for the ebook in vain
auchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #510
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by auchau View Post
Hi,

I am looking for the Memoirs of Lee Kuan Yew vol 2 From Third to First World: The Singapore History 1965-2000, by Lee Kuan Yew.

Please help. Many many thanks.

P/S: I'm not sure if this thread is still for requesting and begging as its title, because you all seem to be discussing but I'm looking for the ebook in vain
I sincerely hope that this book is in the public domain, since the penalty for requesting copyrighted works is of course an immediate ban.