Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #31
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Both are with me at all times.
Even at work or while working? ... just kidding ..
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #32
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
e ink is dated. Whatever comes out with Qualcomm's Mirasol display. Shall be equipping most tablets and smartphones some years from now and shall render e ink single-purpose devices irrelevant.
Poor person, always missing today while waiting for tomorrow. . .

Me - Sony PRS-505 and Nook Color with CM7.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #33
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I think that you are correct and your answer was the reason why I asked. You said you moved to ASUS from iPad and you mainly use Kindle app. I enjoy and like iOs version better, so I do not fully understand the reason for your move

Ironically, I like the B&N Android version better than the iOs one.
I don't want to derail your thread with pro/anti Apple posts - but the iPad is a beautiful reader - I hated being tethered to iTunes on a PC/Mac and being unable to load my own files onto the thing without jailbreaking it. I decided to move to an Android tablet instead - and the ASUS TF was the top choice. I've not regretted the move. [I traded the iPad in using Amazon's electronic trade-in program - and the amount I got for it paid for the TF & its keyboard dock]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #34
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I don't want to derail your thread with pro/anti Apple posts - but the iPad is a beautiful reader - I hated being tethered to iTunes on a PC/Mac and being unable to load my own files onto the thing without jailbreaking it. I decided to move to an Android tablet instead - and the ASUS TF was the top choice. I've not regretted the move. [I traded the iPad in using Amazon's electronic trade-in program - and the amount I got for it paid for the TF & its keyboard dock]
Thanks for your input.

I don't mind talking about Apple pros and cons, I'm a device person, not a brand loyal guy ...

I actually share the same feeling about iTunes. But still is not so powerful and bad to make me take the move ... NO YET! at least ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #35
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Thanks for your input.

I don't mind talking about Apple pros and cons, I'm a device person, not a brand loyal guy ...

I actually share the same feeling about iTunes. But still is not so powerful and bad to make me take the move ... NO YET! at least ...
Yeah - iTunes was the deal breaker for me.

One reason I have remained loyal to the Kindle was that you never HAD to tether it to a PC in order to load books and read.
And if you did hook it up - its file system was accessible - no fancy tricks needed to sideload books - either via calibre or using the OS file manager.

Android tablets give me that level of independence & control.
And I eagerly await the arrival of the rumored Amazon tablet - I'm sure it will be fully integrated into the existing infrastructure - for books, music, video. The only question will be if it will be WiFi only, or if also 3G - will Amazon subsidize a carrier as with the Kindle - if the tablet is "locked" into the Amazon website.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #36
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Nook Color for my tablet stuff....soon getting a Nook STR... great eInk reader.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #37
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
PRS350+PRS950/iPad
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:38 AM   #38
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
e ink is dated. Whatever comes out with Qualcomm's Mirasol display. Shall be equipping most tablets and smartphones some years from now and shall render e ink single-purpose devices irrelevant.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:49 AM   #39
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
You'll eat those words out when Kindle and iPad come with it next year.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:55 AM   #40
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
You'll eat those words out when Kindle and iPad come with it next year.
Mate, you're missing the point by a mile. If you want to discuss the pros and cons of e-Ink/backlit, there's a million threads out there on this blessed topic. This particular thread is not about that. Give us a break.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:02 AM   #41
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Mirasol is not backlit nor LCD. It's also crisp clear, colorful and with amazing refresh times.

I also guess right until it comes in a mass-market product, it must be insanely expensive...

Last edited by Namekuseijin; 06-28-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #42
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
KSO WiFi / Nook Color (auto nooter)

Why these models? Price, color, display, and quality. Brand loyalty means nothing to me. I'll bash Amazon just as fast as I'll bash Apple.

Feature-wise, the K3 is the best ereader out there. On top of that, mine is free courtesy of Amazon's Special Offers program. My wish for K4 is a touch screen; which means a smaller size and bye bye keyboard.

I got the Nook Color because of its killer display and $250 price tag. Lack of app store access at the time was just a temporary setback, because I knew it would eventually get rooted and gain access to the Android Market.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #43
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Still waiting for that, but starting to doubt it'll ever come in a mass market product.

Anyway, OT:

e-ink side is hard to name. I switch equally between my Sony (at home) or BeBook (everywhere else).
LCD is my JE100. Though, I don't use it as a "tablet", but rather as ereader only. Still searching for a tablet for pure tablet stuff...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #44
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe

Pocket eDGe for shopping lists, games, and reading on the go (either tablet or e-ink side). Big eDGe for e-ink reading with web/dictionary/color lookup (on the tablet side).

I took my EE outside with my coffee this morning, folded over so only the e-ink side was showing, and read for an hour in the sun. The big screens (and weight) make it awkward at times, but I wouldn't trade the dual-functionality for anything I have yet seen.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #45
MAT160
Enthusiast
MAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS-600
Sony PRS-600 / Ipad 2
MAT160 is offline   Reply With Quote