Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #181
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Most people use PSP chargers for their 505. Much cheaper.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #182
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
No 505s came with AC adapter... optional accessory... not sure why that should be shady though, they never claimed it included an AC adapter.
I actually found that the AC necessary is a pretty standard one, and was able to use one from another piece of electronics. You just have to make sure to match the power spec EXACTLY. I lucked out and had an old Sharp PDA with the identical specs.

Didn't know about the PSP also being the same, but yeah... those should be pretty affordable too, since about a zillion aftermarket chargers had to be made for it.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 12:37 AM   #183
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by faolan View Post
I just installed the latest version. Had some issues with it at first trying to start up and of course the PRS-505 decided to do it's normal OMG! FREEZE thing it likes to do if you put too much stress on the device. I do have to say, I did see some improvement in performance and I'm loving the new features. Sudoku, anyone?

My initial criticisms on rendering still stand though, and I if there is an option to "fix" this, someone please mention it because otherwise I'm going to sound like a real douche.

@ Spiffy: I agree, I would love to see the author add some sort of throbber on the screen to let you know the function is loading and perhaps a loading bar as well to show actual progress. Visual feedback is always a good thing. I noticed on first boot of the software always takes a while. I guess it must be doing some sort of set-up, but without any feedback you are right that it is hard to tell if it actually working or has failed.
Well, at least the version I posted about had those little circles which appeared to tell you the unit is "thinking". The problem was that if you touched any kind of button while it was doing so, the unit locked up.

I find myself using the Sony boot choice more often lately. The ability to browse through the metadata is a hard thing to lose (also, I think as I mentioned, the jump ten pages functionality is something I use a lot, and this alternate firmware for some reason just doesn't do it).
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #184
marla77
marla77 began at the beginning.

Device: Itouch
Where is the root internal memory file in PRS-300, I tried and copied the files to many different files but when I restart the reader it stucks on Boot menu and when I choose ebookapplication it does nothing
marla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #185
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
The Root has a clue in the word... it is the base of the device memory that shows on your computer where all the files and folders are... just drag and drop all the folders to the reader... you don't put them in anything but the Reader itself... if you're not familiar with with Windows file handling procedures then get a more experienced Windows user to help you...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #186
buggritt
buggritt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Just my two penneth.
Great software with the font choice and sizes. Also the epub filling the page.
Problems are - it's seems to use a lot of power. When fully recharged via ac adaptor, the battery metre stays where it was. Some pdf files of mine lock the software up.
Shame - it's tons better than the original.
buggritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #187
johnc.eire
johnc.eire began at the beginning.

Device: kobo H2O
I got tired of reading this extremley long thread to see if the css issue had been sorted out, so decided to try the software out and see...
Nope.
On my PRS505, all my books except one are in rtf format and they appear to be OK.
The one pbub book I have looked awful, I'm afraid. The font at the start was HUGE, laeving room for about only 40 words on the first page. I'd seen that there was a 'font change' option available, so pressed on...
The font size kept changing throughout the book, and with no apparent reason. The predominately large font text suddnely switched to a much smaller size in the middle of a line and then back again a few words later.
Yes, the justification issue has been solved, but the random font size changes make this alternative a non-runner as far as I'm concerned.

Decided to remove the software and keep tabs on this thread instead.

Removing the software brought it's own set of problems.
The instructions say to delete all the files that were copied to the reader as part of the install. OK, which oines are they? Eventually solved this one by having two 'explorer' windows open and matching the list of folder names between the reader and the unzipped install package. Cumbersome, to say the least...

Restarted the reader, and found that:
1. it had lost track of the book I was reading before starting the removal process - Went to that book manually, and then found the reader had forgotten what page I was on. Not a terrible problem, but disturbing, just the same.
2. Checked a couple of other books and found that the 'history' had been wiped there, too.
3.Then noted that all my bookmarks had gone - has that been metioned before in the tread? Still not a biggy, but again, disappointing.
3. All my collections had gone! That *really* upsets me - I had a large set of collections defined (300+) in order to gather groups of short stories together, while keeping them individually available.

Like I say, I'll keep checking this thread from time to time, to see what developements occur.
The original Sony firmware leaves a lot to be desired, and the idea replacing it is sound. Unfortunately, the quality of this alternative is a few steps behind the Sony one as yet...

Good luck with futue endevours, ebookapps, but you've got a bit of work to do yet - as far as I'm concerned
johnc.eire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #188
serige
serige will become famous soon enoughserige will become famous soon enoughserige will become famous soon enoughserige will become famous soon enoughserige will become famous soon enoughserige will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350
Looks like this is a very impressive application, can anyone confirm if this application will work on the the newer PRS-350?
serige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #189
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS–300, Sony PRS-505
Yes, version for PRS-350/650/950 has been just released
Download it from http://www.ebookapplications.com

Main features:

-Support for all major ebook, image, compression audio formats.
-In-book dictionary
-Ability to install additional dictionaries and fonts
-Simple and intuitive interface, fully functional file manager and many other features

When alternative firmware is installed there is easy way to return to original fimrware

Supported formats:

-Books: PDF, DOC, EPUB, RTF, HTML, CHM, TXT, DJVU, FB2, PDB, PRC, TCR, ZIP, RAR ---including multi-file ZIP и RAR compressed files
-Comics formats: CBR, CBZ
-Image formats: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, TIFF, PSD, PICT, PCX, PGM, PPM, SGI, TGA
-Music: MP3, WAV, FLAC, OGG, AAC

All features of alternative firmware:

-Quick start (less than 5 seconds)
-Simple and convenient interface
-Fully functional file manager with support of all types of file operations.
-Flexible user settings, such as fonts, page settings, supported languages, custom fonts etc.
-Convenient in-book navigation
-Bookmark, page and page layout settings
-Flexible settings for PDF/DjVu,CBR/CBZ and images scaling (zoom).
-Bilt-in dictionary, support for custom dictionaries.
-Screen capture
-Current version has six applicaitons: Chess, Sudoku, Calculator, Schultse table and Dictionary in addition to the built–in dictionary.
ebookapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #190
fanoI
Connoisseur
fanoI began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Hi!
I (a lot of people, too!) thought EbookAppication was... dead happy to see you're back

Now 2 questions:
  1. There will be new firmware for 300/500? Or they are discontinued for you, too?
  2. Will you ever have support ODT - open document format? It's a little sad to see .doc well supported and not a free format
fanoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:22 AM   #191
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
3. Do you have plans for a T1 version?
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #192
fanoI
Connoisseur

It's to say that T1 is already hacked having Android inside I suppose there will be very simple to open it completely

Maybe EbookApplication(s) can do an "Android Distribution"?
Old 11-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #193
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanoI View Post
Maybe EbookApplication(s) can do an "Android Distribution"?
Maybe you can tell us what's missing on T1 that can only be obtained via the software from EBALLC? i haven't tried it, but I cannot imagine it being more powerful or versatile than Cool Reader or a combination of Cool Reader with eBook Droid.

Last edited by porkupan; 11-22-2011 at 05:20 PM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #194
fanoI
Connoisseur

Not I've tried directly T1 but as you can see it's already "rooted" so...

However attached you can see a simple document to test bold, underline, italic, footnotes and so on...
In the following standards:
  • rtf
  • doc
  • epub
  • htlm
  • odt
  • xml (word 2003)
  • fb2

So you can see the problems of this firmware and (I hope) try to solve them.

http://www.4shared.com/file/RkDj7osG...plication.html

P.S. The firmware is v1.10.04 on PRS300!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #195
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi All, Many thanks to those who have already helped me on this forum! I downloaded the Ebboapplications file to my Sony PRS 505 and followed instructions as on their website. The choice of menus appeared 1. Ebookapplications 2. Sony. However, when I choose the Ebook applications, it does not work. Nothing happens even when I wait a few minutes. The Sony choice still works fine. I downloaded the files on a Mac (OS 10.4). Could this be the source of the problem?
Thanks in advance, Rojofo.
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
djvu, epub, fb2, firmware, sony