Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #166
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
This isn't one of the religion threads, you know.

Anyway, I don't believe in conversion...
carmelra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #167
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelra View Post

Anyway, I don't believe in conversion...

It would be nice if the vendors offered Hebrew fonts. I'd like to see them rendered properly on my Kindle without having to resort to PDF files or inserted graphics.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 05:49 PM   #168
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
Still loving this firmware - moved to it at least 2 months back once the custom fonts were added. Full justification and the clock make it worth it, right off the bat.

Just a big THANKS to the developers for continuing to work on this, as you have made my SONY Reader much more useful, and a purchase that I can continue to enjoy.

Some have made comments about the lack of margins, but I actually prefer that. On a 5 inch device, getting text all the way to the end of the screen is appreciated.

Probably the only caveat I'd love to see corrected is the lack of formatting, such as a line break between paragraphs. But this is a minor quibble. I'm getting a Kindle soon, but my SONY PRS-300 will still be my mobile device, thanks to this firmware.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:02 AM   #169
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

It would be nice if the vendors offered Hebrew fonts. I'd like to see them rendered properly on my Kindle without having to resort to PDF files or inserted graphics.
It seems the problem is not related to missing fonts but to lack of support in Right To Left languages. Anyway, this discussion is related to a different thread.
carmelra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #170
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelra View Post
It seems the problem is not related to missing fonts but to lack of support in Right To Left languages. Anyway, this discussion is related to a different thread.
Thanks for that link!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #171
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Well this is annoying. I just grabbed the latest version and this one won't even boot. I get to the Boot Menu and pressing the "1" key does zip. Pressing the "2" key launches into the normal Sony firmware successfully though--so its not like the Boot Menu is seizing up the whole unit or anything. The ebook Applications choice just doesn't work.

Had the previous version on there before this, but wish I'd backed it up, because the ebook apps website doesn't seem to keep the older versions on hand.

I'm waiting at least 2 minutes, so its not like its still loading (plus pressing the Sony boot option wouldn't work if it was).

EDIT - Never mind. As with most technical problems, it came down to user error. I unzipped the new version onto my SD card, but forgot the previous version was installed on my device memory. This obviously caused a conflict. Clearing all the files off my SD and copying the new version to the device memory fixed it all.

Last edited by Spiffy; 01-03-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #172
noxx
Enthusiast
noxx began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
hello...

....run this firmware on a PRS 650?

regard
noxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #173
Novasea
Enthusiast
Novasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Where do I find the root directory of the internal memory of my Sony prs 505?

I am quite sure I can install this...if I know where to install it.

Thank you

Last edited by Novasea; 01-04-2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to say thank you.
Novasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #174
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
The root directory is the internal memory... mount the reader and then anything to go in root directory is just drag'n'dropped on the mounted internal memory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novasea View Post
Where do I find the root directory of the internal memory of my Sony prs 505?

I am quite sure I can install this...if I know where to install it.

Thank you
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #175
Novasea
Enthusiast
Novasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Thanks,elcreative...worked like a charm.
Novasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #176
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad you got it working... good luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novasea View Post
Thanks,elcreative...worked like a charm.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #177
faolan
faolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-505
I just installed the latest version. Had some issues with it at first trying to start up and of course the PRS-505 decided to do it's normal OMG! FREEZE thing it likes to do if you put too much stress on the device. I do have to say, I did see some improvement in performance and I'm loving the new features. Sudoku, anyone?

My initial criticisms on rendering still stand though, and I if there is an option to "fix" this, someone please mention it because otherwise I'm going to sound like a real douche.

@ Spiffy: I agree, I would love to see the author add some sort of throbber on the screen to let you know the function is loading and perhaps a loading bar as well to show actual progress. Visual feedback is always a good thing. I noticed on first boot of the software always takes a while. I guess it must be doing some sort of set-up, but without any feedback you are right that it is hard to tell if it actually working or has failed.

That being said, it is working like a charm and I love that I can read my books while I charge it. <3 <3 <3 In a way it's a lot like KDE's PIM: the more I use it, the more it grows on me.
faolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #178
elcreative
Wizard

You've always been able to read while charging with the 505... what's special about this, allow reading whilst plugged into computer USB??? Otherwise, if it's using the barrel connector on an external PSU then always there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by faolan View Post
That being said, it is working like a charm and I love that I can read my books while I charge it. <3 <3 <3 In a way it's a lot like KDE's PIM: the more I use it, the more it grows on me.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #179
faolan
faolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
You've always been able to read while charging with the 505... what's special about this, allow reading whilst plugged into computer USB??? Otherwise, if it's using the barrel connector on an external PSU then always there...
My 505 never came with a the AC cord so the only way to charge it is via USB. Don't know if that is because I bought it on special at Walmart, or if Sony packaged the AC as a separate accessory, which would seem kind of shady. Anyway, not allowing you to read while it is pugged in via USB is bogus, but seems to be the default for a lot of devices for some reason.
faolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #180
elcreative
Wizard

No 505s came with AC adapter... optional accessory... not sure why that should be shady though, they never claimed it included an AC adapter.

There is actually a very good reason for not allowing reading whilst charging via USB... USB charging is designed for recharging from a computer whilst allowing the user to add/delete books... this means using Sony Reader Library or calibre which are accessing the memory to do this, reading at the same time would then have two different OSs accessing the same memory at the same time... not good news. I assume this software either disables the computer access to allow reading or blocks simultaneous activity as I'm guessing that reading and adding books probably don't work simultaneously or a book being read maybe marked as unavailable to the computer... clever work but still more likely to have problems than just not allowing it...

Tags
djvu, epub, fb2, firmware, sony