Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #136
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Anyone tried this with FB2 books? I would probably never buy a Sony device on principle, but it's good to know it could hanlde FB2, if this alternative software does a decent job.
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:01 AM   #137
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
I'm using only fb2, and it works great with them, opening times are about 2 seconds for a book.
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #138
Fis2
Fis2 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenDonkey View Post
I'm using only fb2, and it works great with them, opening times are about 2 seconds for a book.
I have problems with several FB2, usually ones generated with BookDesigner 5.0.
Could you try this one? try
Fis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #139
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

The moment I go home, which will be in about 4 hours I will
Old 10-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #140
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur

Sorry man, I completely forgot. I tested it and it is really not working, ebookapps should see why
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 04:21 AM   #141
Fis2
Fis2 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenDonkey View Post
Sorry man, I completely forgot. I tested it and it is really not working, ebookapps should see why
If you convert it to LRF using Calibre and then back to FB2, it works on this firmware.
Maybe a code problem.
Fis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #142
Achiever
Getting Experience
Achiever began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Wink You are great

Wow your Firmware is great, I wish you could do a semilar one for the new generation of sony's ereaders, for the PRS 350/650.

Hope you'll get one of those and work a little on them.

Because more and more people to come with the new sony ereader and I think they all want to have your firmware advantages

Thanks anyway you did a great job.

I like innovative programmers like you so much, you can't imagine.
I'm looking forward for a new firmware.

Achiever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #143
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS–300, Sony PRS-505
We made a file search and flexible font sizes in eBook Applications firmware. Please check the version 1.9.0.1
ebookapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:49 AM   #144
readyread
readyread began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
I "installed" v1.9.0.3 on my Sony PRS 505.

My first impressions:
* Firmware starts fast
* Configuration options are great (font types, font sizes and so on)
* I love the zoom options in pdf-mode
* left and right justified text => great!

This firmware really enhances the PRS 505! Thanks for this amazing piece of software!

But while testing the firmware I also found some drawbacks:
* An epub-file takes a minute or two til its loaded
* The value of the battery display jumps nearly with each buttonclick between several stages
* If I turn off the device or simply go to another page I can see the contents of the last page on empty places -> It seems that the sony-firmware clears the screen in a clearer way
* css-styles and paragraphs in an epub-file are ignored
* If I open a pdf-file and switch to landscape and also select the zoom-option "text width" the firmware ends in an endless loop when I skim to the next page. Only the progressbar shows that the display is not frozen but after an hour I didn't like to wait any further so I had to press the reset button because no other buttonpress revitalized my PRS 505. After that the fully loaded battery was empty! Is the powerconsumption of the firmware so high? -> It would be nice if there is something like a "cancel"-button
* When I loaded the same pdf after the reset of my PRS 505 it seems that everything works with the same settings (landscape + zoom on text width). But the problem is that some lines are not readable because they flow out on top or bottom of the viewable area
* Selecting the option "switch back to sony firmware" needs also a manual reset because the hourglass-screen does not disappear even after several minutes

Last edited by readyread; 11-13-2010 at 04:37 AM.
readyread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #145
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I made a wiki entry for this product. Enjoy.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #146
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle, inkBook, Kobo
Thank you for this great alternative firmware. My Sony PRS-505 feels like a new machine now, with many of the essential features that are totally missing in the original firmware. Everything is so customizable and easy to use: the folder-based file manager, custom fonts, page settings, dictionaries, etc... It's really great.

I can read the fb2, text, and rtf files without problem, with all the formatting and images showing up as they should. Epubs, though, lose their original formattings: no italics (or they show up as bold), and the emdashes (—) disappear totally... Some prc, docs, and htmls files open well enough, but others are imcomprehensible... I hope these problems will be solved in the next firmware versions.

Still, it is such a great and generous effort that I must thank you again for your dedication.

Last edited by sein; 11-15-2010 at 05:15 PM.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #147
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Device: iPhone
Does this alternate firmware support reading RTL text?
The current Sony Readers doesn't handle RTL languages properly.
For example, when trying to read Hebrew ePub, the text is displayed from left to right which is wrong (and obviously not readable.)

Thanks!
carmelra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #148
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS–300, Sony PRS-505
Yes, it does and it also renders Hebrew correctly
ebookapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #149
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookapps View Post
Yes, it does and it also renders Hebrew correctly
Thanks! I tested it and can confirm that it's much better than the original firmware. In general, it's even possible to read the text. However, there are a few problems that prevent a good reading experience.

Below are a few photos I took (very bad photos, I know...) that demonstrate the current status and issues I found:

1) The main device menu: The text is displayed left to right and therefore it is not readable in Hebrew.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DeviceMenu.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	61708

2) The book settings menu: The text is displayed left to right and therefore it is not readable in Hebrew.

Name:	BookMenu.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	61709

3) TOC: The text is displayed left to right and therefore it is not readable in Hebrew.

Name:	TOC.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	61710

4) Main Book Reading area: The text is displayed right to left and therefore it is readable. However, it's not reflowing properly. Lines are getting breaking without a real need (you can see it in the photo that a few lines has no period at the end). That's annoying.

Name:	MainTextArea.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	61711

5) Main Book Reading area - Text with punctuation marks: The punctuations are not being displayed properly. They appear to the left of every relevant character.

Name:	PunctuationsText.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	61712

Last edited by carmelra; 11-25-2010 at 05:13 PM.
carmelra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #150
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Overall I like this firmware, but I have a few issues (at least on the 505).

1.) if you touch ANY buttons while the unit is "busy" (whenever those little circles appear to tell you the unit is "thinking"), you stand a large chance of locking the unit

2.) the "jump ten pages" functionality of holding down the navigation buttons--a pretty standard convention--is missing

3.) the battery meter seems... wrong

There are also the formatting issues others have mentioned, particularly with ePub.

Last edited by Spiffy; 12-09-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
djvu, epub, fb2, firmware, sony