Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #1726
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I didn't know that the enhanced copies took longer to process. But even so, the program just runs in the background, so what if it takes a long time?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #1727
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I didn't know that the enhanced copies took longer to process. But even so, the program just runs in the background, so what if it takes a long time?
Well that's true, but when you're looking at converting 722 titles (some @ 50-60 hours) like I am it just seems more daunting when you can only do one at a time at 1X. Gonna take a long time.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #1728
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
I use Nero 7 as I still have a copy from years ago, it can burn audible files to CD. If you still have a copy of Nero 7, 8 or 9 around, I've had great success using it along with UltraISO to convert them to MP3's without having to actually burn cd's, and it does it rather quickly as well so I don't have to wait while it plays the files "real time". I then take WinAmp Pro, which is still free I believe as they are shutting it down, and convert them to whatever size I need if it's too big to fit on one cd. My truck plays MP3 cd's and that's where I do all my listening.

Last edited by IcecreamLtDan; 01-07-2014 at 04:58 PM.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #1729
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I assume that others, like me, occasionally use their PC for other things, so having its resources taken up by a background process indefinitely is not ideal.
Even if the resource drain is small enough to leave your PC usable, using your PC for other tasks while these analog conversions are in progress can result in poor quality output.

But more importantly for me (since I have multiple machines that I could set to doing very time consuming tasks if need be) is the fact that I might get a book and want to listen to it on some other device that same day. I don't want to wait 16 hours, especially when I might find there was a problem of some kind and I might need to start it all over again.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #1730
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I assume that others, like me, occasionally use their PC for other things, so having its resources taken up by a background process indefinitely is not ideal.
Even if the resource drain is small enough to leave your PC usable, using your PC for other tasks while these analog conversions are in progress can result in poor quality output.

But more importantly for me (since I have multiple machines that I could set to doing very time consuming tasks if need be) is the fact that I might get a book and want to listen to it on some other device that same day. I don't want to wait 16 hours, especially when I might find there was a problem of some kind and I might need to start it all over again.
Can't say I ever noticed a drain on computer resources when I'm doing the conversion. But in any case, you can run the program overnight--if the book is lengthy it's usually in parts, and at least one or two parts a night would be doable. Yes, it would take forever, but it would get done. I've never had a problem running SoundTaxi--when I first got it, it ran for five days straight.

And why would you need to wait to listen to a book? Listen to it with the proper app if you can't wait, and then convert it for your backup.
Advert
Old 01-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #1731
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Can't say I ever noticed a drain on computer resources when I'm doing the conversion. But in any case, you can run the program overnight--if the book is lengthy it's usually in parts, and at least one or two parts a night would be doable. Yes, it would take forever, but it would get done. I've never had a problem running SoundTaxi--when I first got it, it ran for five days straight.

And why would you need to wait to listen to a book? Listen to it with the proper app if you can't wait, and then convert it for your backup.
Come on, are you one of those people that has a hard time imagining how anyone can do things differently than you would?
I gave up Sound Taxi a long while ago because the quality of the output was highly variable, and always adversely impacted by other use of the computer.
I'd hope it, along with PCs in general, have improved, but I suspect, given the nature of analog conversion, it will still be true for many people.

As for using the 'proper' app, maybe I don't want to. Using a little imagination, maybe the only 'proper' app someone has is the PC, and they'd like to take the book in the car with them.

Not to mention that PCs sometimes crash or lose power, or get inadvertently touched by other household members.
Unlike making barbecue or love, it's better to get things like this done faster rather than having them go on for hours.

Last edited by ApK; 01-06-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:18 AM   #1732
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Come on, are you one of those people that has a hard time imagining how anyone can do things differently than you would?
Apparently I am.

Quote:
I gave up Sound Taxi a long while ago because the quality of the output was highly variable, and always adversely impacted by other use of the computer. I'd hope it, along with PCs in general, have improved, but I suspect, given the nature of analog conversion, it will still be true for many people.

As for using the 'proper' app, maybe I don't want to. Using a little imagination, maybe the only 'proper' app someone has is the PC, and they'd like to take the book in the car with them.
Huh? You don't convert because it takes too long and uses too much of the computer's resources, but you can't listen without converting? Color me baffled.

Quote:
Not to mention that PCs sometimes crash or lose power, or get inadvertently touched by other household members.
Unlike making barbecue or love, it's better to get things like this done faster rather than having them go on for hours.
Fine, faster is better, but slow is better than not converting at all and risking the loss of material.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:27 AM   #1733
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I going to try Sound Taxi ...since it has a free trail version LOL ????? 1 How do I get the Audible books into it? 2 How do I get the Overdrive books into it? They are already on my PC [os Win 8] I just want them converted & backed up on my external WiFi HD... in case a site crashes or I not near my PC when I want to listen to them.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #1734
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I going to try Sound Taxi ...since it has a free trail version LOL ????? 1 How do I get the Audible books into it? 2 How do I get the Overdrive books into it? They are already on my PC [os Win 8] I just want them converted & backed up on my external WiFi HD... in case a site crashes or I not near my PC when I want to listen to them.
Audials One offers a free trial too. But you have to use iTunes with it. Audials sets up a virtual CD burner, so you are 'burning' your books to the hard drive instead of a CD. The couple times I did it, it went way faster than real time because it 'burns' more than one track at a time.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #1735
septentrion
Addict
septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2014, Kindle Voyage and Kindle Oasis 2
I'm a bit confused about all those programs. Should I understand that each one of them convert the audiobooks in real time?
septentrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #1736
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by septentrion View Post
I'm a bit confused about all those programs. Should I understand that each one of them convert the audiobooks in real time?
Almost anything (even the built-in sound recording tool on any PC) can "convert" a DRMed audio file in real time. It's basically just playing the sound and re-recording what's playing.

Soundtaxi and many of these other apps can convert MUCH faster, like 10 to 50 times faster depending on the system.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #1737
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by septentrion View Post
They should all have settings that allow different conversion times. The slower the conversion rate, the higher the quality of the converted file. I generally go for a much faster conversion, as I'm not that finicky about the audio quality of spoken word audiobooks.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #1738
ApK

Quote:
Huh? You don't convert because it takes too long and uses too much of the computer's resources, but you can't listen without converting? Color me baffled.
I was giving examples of reasons that various people (ie, not you) might have for wanting to get it done fast. Not all reasons necessarily apply to all people at all times. Abraham Lincoln said that, I think.

Quote:
Fine, faster is better,
Yea, I win! :-) It was the barbecue that won you over, right?

OK, enough of this foolishness.

Quote:
but slow is better than not converting at all and risking the loss of material.
Certainly, and it's nice to know there are a variety of options for freeing this stuff, and several that can do it in real time for free.

ApK
Old 01-08-2014, 12:40 AM   #1739
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Downpour Deal of the Week - exp 13 Jan
Quote:
A #1 New York Times Bestseller
A USA Today Bestseller

Mackenzie Allen Philips’ youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation, and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later, in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note—apparently from God—inviting him back to that shack for a weekend.

Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack’s world forever.

In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant The Shack wrestles with the timeless question: Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain? The answers Mack gets will astound you—and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You will want everyone you know to read this book.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:03 AM   #1740
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Guess I not going to get an answer to my question. sigh
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote