Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
ncguy68
Enthusiast
ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet, Asus TF300, Nexus 7
Nook Color Version 1.1 Update

Does anybody know where I can download a copy of the install file for update version 1.1? As far as I can tell Barnes and Noble no longer has it availabe at there website.

Thanks.
ncguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
You mean you want to back it out from 1.2 (the latest version) back to version 1.1?

I don't know where you could get that 1.1 update file, so I cannot help. It might not allow it even if you could find the file.

Maybe you could reset it to the factory settings somehow (there are probably methods mentioned in some of the rooting threads).

Last edited by RAH; 05-01-2011 at 07:54 AM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Just an Fyi if you go back to 1.1 it will update over the air in a couple weeks.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
ncguy68
Enthusiast
ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ncguy68 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know you have to reset to factory and then install the 1.1 update. To keep it from updating again you have to keep Wi-Fi turned off (which I always keep off).

I like some of the new features in the new update, but the hyphen issue is driving me nuts. Some pages have almost every other line hyphenated and I use my Nook Color mainly as a reader....not a tablet.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just wondering - if you reset your nook to factory, what version will you get? I bought my nook fairly recently and it came with 1.1, so if I did a reset that's what I'd get. I guess yours is older. Are the improvements contained in 1.1 significant over what yours had when you got it?
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
ncguy68
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Just wondering - if you reset your nook to factory, what version will you get? I bought my nook fairly recently and it came with 1.1, so if I did a reset that's what I'd get. I guess yours is older. Are the improvements contained in 1.1 significant over what yours had when you got it?

Mine came with the original version (1.0). 1.1 adds pinch/zoom in the browser....which I like.

Instead of going back to 1.1 I may root and install the android Aldiko Ebook reader. I wish B&N would allow Aldiko in there app store, but I doubt if they will.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
RAH
Guru

Yeah, I'd hate to give up the pinch/zoom in the browser too.

I know it's too late for you now (for version 1.1), but I think this should make people think about saving the 1.2 update (regardless of whether they like it or not), for future use if 1.3 does something they really hate down the road. A word to the wise!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
RAH
Guru

This got me thinking - how come no one has that 1.1 update that you could use - i.e. reset to factory and then sideload the 1.1.

I found it on this page:

http://www.geardiary.com/2011/01/26/...-improvements/

which has a link half-way down that says "Official Update File From B&N," which links to:

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pre...oad_update.zip

The file still exists and I just downloaded it. So, looks like you can do what you want, ncguy68.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
ncguy68
Enthusiast

Quote:
This got me thinking - how come no one has that 1.1 update that you could use - i.e. reset to factory and then sideload the 1.1.

I found it on this page:

http://www.geardiary.com/2011/01/26/...-improvements/

which has a link half-way down that says "Official Update File From B&N," which links to:

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pre...oad_update.zip

The file still exists and I just downloaded it. So, looks like you can do what you want, ncguy68.

Thanks A lot RAH! :-) I searched several sites that linked to the old 1.1 update, but they all linked by to B&N and that page had been updated to the new 1.2 update.

From now on I am taking your advice and saving backup copies of the updates for future use.

Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
RAH
Guru

I am glad I could help. I almost gave up the search after not finding it trying various phrases, but I finally got lucky, and even luckier that the file was actually still there! Yes!
Old 05-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
mckait
mckait began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
What about the new update with apps that I keep hearing about// how do we get that?
mckait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
ncguy68
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckait View Post
What about the new update with apps that I keep hearing about// how do we get that?

This link should take you directly to the latest update.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...ate/379002520/
Old 05-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #13
ncguy68
Enthusiast

Quote:
I am glad I could help. I almost gave up the search after not finding it trying various phrases, but I finally got lucky, and even luckier that the file was actually still there! Yes!

The re-vert back to version 1.1 worked fine. I restored back to factory, side loaded the update 1.1 file and waited for the Nook Color to reboot. Of course if I leave Wi-Fi turned on it will eventually install the 1.2 update.

Mmmm I wonder if there is anyway to block B&N at the wireless router? I know my router has a firewall, but I do not know if it can be used in this manner.

Thanks again for posting the old update. :-)
Old 05-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
RAH
Guru

That's an interesting idea of trying to block b&n via the router firewall. I think it might be hard to find out the address of what you would need to block. Certaijly worth looking into.

Glad the revert back to 1.1 went smoothly!