Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
USB Power Supply for 350/650

Hi!

I would like to start this thread where we can share experience about USB Power Supplies for PRS 350/650.
Please, post info about both those that work and those that do not work, preferably with links.

Thanks all for cooperation

Update.

Thanks a ton to lack for generating this list.
I only copy&paste it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lack View Post
I compiled the replies.

Feel free to correct me if anyone spot any mistake.

Doesn't work:
iPod charger A1205
iPod charger A1102
iPad charger
Rocketfish USB power adapter for the car: http://milo.com/rocketfish-usb-vehic...-adapter-black
Belkin Charger for iPod http://www.lasystems.be/Belkin/F8Z22...ct/184312.html
Logitech Harmony 700 remote's charger
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...roduct=1419902
Nyko charger for Sony PS3 controllers

Works:
blackberry charger
http://powertraveler.com
the power adapter that came with the Apple component video cables for the iPhone/iPod
http://search.dse.com.au/search?w=e9...e0106d1&ts=new
Nook charger
HTC evo charger
http://www.powermat.com/us/powermat-2x.html
Amazon Kindle 3 USB cable and plug
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travelpower/e5bd/
http://www.charge4all.net/
Logitech MX Performance Mouse kit
HTC Tattoo Charger
VersaCharger Pro from Boxwave
Nokia N8
ZTE Blade
Samsung Galaxy S i9000
LG phone charger
Griffin Model 17B061001
Nokia micro-USB Travel Charger
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
Motorola SPN5334A
http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Fol...1079015&sr=1-1
Sony Ericsson cell phone charger

Last edited by astra; 12-02-2010 at 08:28 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

This is merely a rehash of this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98482

You even posted in the other thread near the top. No need to rehash or have multiple threads on the same subject especially when most AC adapters designed to accept a standard USB cable and produce 5volts will work. Not to mention that most cellular phone AC adapters designed for 5volts with a micro-USB connector will also work, excepting oddball companies like Apple.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-23-2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: DUPLICATE THREAD
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Accordingly to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98208 you are wrong.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Signed Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura v2, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Not to mention that most cellular phone AC adapters designed for 5volts with a micro-USB connector will also work, excepting oddball companies like Apple.
And yet mine works... First of the list :

Apple iPod charger : Model No A1205 W005B050

Confirmed to work, at least here... heh
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post

Thanks. Although, no sign of it in the UK.
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
Quote:

The ones that came with my iPhone and iPad don't.

Nor does the Rocketfish USB power adapter for the car:
http://milo.com/rocketfish-usb-vehic...-adapter-black

That, or there's something wrong with my 350, but it does charge just fine when plugged into the computer.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Those of you who have a multimeter, can you please check if your charger has pins 2 and 3 of the USB socket shorted?
The USB Battery Charging Spec says:
Quote:
1.4.5 Dedicated Charging Port
A Dedicated Charging Port is a downstream port on a device that outputs power through a USB connectory, but is not capable of enumerating a downstream device. A Dedicated Charging Port is required to output at a minimum current of IDCHG at an average voltage of VCHG.

A Dedicated Charging Port is required to short the D+ line to the D- line.
I think the last point is what Sony used to decide whether to charge or not.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I've got a generic adapter:

Model: ADS-5A-06 05005GPG
Input: 100-240V - 50/60Hz, Max 0.3A
Output: 5V DC 1.0A

I use the supplied USB cable (my adapter is simply an adapter, no cables attached)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I've got a generic adapter:

Model: ADS-5A-06 05005GPG
Input: 100-240V - 50/60Hz, Max 0.3A
Output: 5V DC 1.0A

I use the supplied USB cable (my adapter is simply an adapter, no cables attached)
Does it work with 650?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
Cheeseandpickles
Banned
Cheeseandpickles began at the beginning.

Device: Prs 600, iPad
dude, just buy a blackberry charger and call it a day.

I dont see why your being so anal about this.

90% of all micro-usb chargers work, no matter the origin device.

I myself have tested with a nokia, motorola, blackberry and a unversal charger that just had a usb port connected to the usb cable. All work with a 650 with no problem.

Even the ipad charger works, you just cant read with it.

Last edited by Cheeseandpickles; 09-24-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Cheeseandpickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #11
Cheeseandpickles
Banned
Cheeseandpickles began at the beginning.

Device: Prs 600, iPad
Quote:

I think this is the charger for the older ipods...I have a feeling that mine works too but i dont know where it is. I just use the Ipad and iphone chargers with my old classic.

The iphone/itouch/Ipad charger pushes slightly more power and has different wiring. Thats why the reader thinks its plugged into a PC. It still charges though, it is just unreadable because it goes to the usb connected screen.

the exact same thing used to happen with the older model too.

Last edited by Cheeseandpickles; 09-24-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Cheeseandpickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Does it work with 650?
Why else would I post it here

It is a generic usb adapter, where you have to attach the cable yourself.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseandpickles View Post
dude, just buy a blackberry charger and call it a day.

I dont see why your being so anal about this.

90% of all micro-usb chargers work, no matter the origin device.

I myself have tested with a nokia, motorola, blackberry and a unversal charger that just had a usb port connected to the usb cable. All work with a 650 with no problem.

Like Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid!" I tried to tell him that and that this thread was unnecessary, but some people are chronically anal.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #14
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseandpickles View Post
The iPad charger doesn't work with my 350. This is what happens:

- "USB connected" appears above a blank screen
- The red charging light does NOT come on
- About a minute later, the message "Charging Stopped. The Reader is unable to charge as no power supply is being detected" appears
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Why else would I post it here
because:
Quote:
post info about both those that work and those that do not work
and you didn't say anything. I am no mindreader!
Thanks anyway although, I cannot find it in the UK.