Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
Mari
Mari began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Unhappy Disappearing bookmarks on PRS-600

OK I need help...I have a refurbished PRS-600, which I received from Sony after my beloved PRS-505 died and they could not fix it.

Here is the situation: I am reading a book, and as always put a bookmark so I can go back to that page. Now, whan I turn off the device completely and turn it back on, the bookmark is not in the "All Notes" section. The book is in the "Continue Reading" section, but it is back on the first page as if I was never reading it.The number of bookmarks in the "All Notes" section goes back to the amount it had before I set the bookmark. As if it was never there. It's been happening pretty much every time I read, but only recently. If I just have it in sleep mode I guess it is still there, but I don't want to just have it constantly like that,as it drains the battery.I don't know if the type of book file or whatever has anything to do with it,but I really thought there was no limit to the amount of bookmarks/noted you can have.

It's weird because I have even started going into the "All Notes" folder after I set it to make sure it is there before I shut down(and it is!). I am not sure why this is going on but any advice would help--I am getting tired of trying to remember what page number I was on,and I really want to figure this out because otherwise the reader works fine.

Last edited by Mari; 07-25-2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: typo
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:30 AM   #2
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Wow, I don't know. I got my PRS-600 brand new and it never does that unless the book gets deleted or the memory formats. Maybe you can email Sony and ask them.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
I never tried completely turning off my PRS-600, but I never had such a problem. I just put it to stand-by mode by sliding the switch for 3-5 sec or just leave it open so it will go to stand-by mode by itself after an hour (check the Power Management settings in the Advanced menu). Every time I return, I have all the notes and bookmarks correctly set AND "Continue reading" is never on page 1.
Try stand-by (one way or the other) and check what will happen. If not, I agree with banjobama that you could ask Sony. Let us know.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
To be honest, I leave my reader in stand-by or sleep mode all the time. I might shut my reader off completely once every month or so, but rarely. It doesn't really use all that much power staying on in sleep mode and it doesn't damage the reader, so I usually don't turn it all the way off. I know that doesn't help you too much but it might be a work-around solution until you get things a little more figured out. It's done that to me too a couple times but it's never been to the point where I was annoyed or irritated.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Mari
Mari began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Thanks so much for your replies!
I am going to try just putting it on standby for now. I think when I do that everything is still there. But, I do want to be able to shut down the device. This is so strange, it NEVER happened with my PRS-505 and I have read a few books in this one and it was fine...for some reason it keeps staying at 58 bookmarks in the Notes section.Even when I make a few bookmarks, check in the book notes and see they are there,go to the Notes menu and see the new amount (62 or whatever)...once I shut down, it is all gone, back to 58.
It wouldn't bother me too much, but I have been so busy that I read here and there when I get a few minutes,so it really sucks to have to try to memorize what page I am on and set the text size of the book and all that, every time. Not to mention I can't skip between books at will, since none of the bookmarks stay. Where would I get the Sony email? Would it be better to call you think?
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert