Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-16-2006, 06:16 AM   #1
Drops
Connoisseur
Drops began at the beginning.

Question Irex policy for DOA units

Hi folks,

it seems like a lot of users have received units that were dead on arrival (battery charging issue, screen problems, freezes,....).

We have bought a pretty expensive unit, so I thing Irex needs to change it's policy about these DOA units. It is not acceptable to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery of the Illiad, send it back and wait some more weeks for the repaired unit.

A customer-friendly approach would be to send a new unit and pick up the old one at the same time (maybe not for defective units after a certain time, but certainly for DOA).

I suggest we put this text (maybe with modifications. Suggestions?) in the Irex forum and "sign" it. Maybe Irex will listen and answer.
Drops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
DrBibber
Iliad geek
DrBibber began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
I second it
DrBibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2006, 07:30 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I have to agree, that this would be a very customer friendly way of handling things.
iRex should consider doing it that way.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:30 AM   #4
DuckDodgers
DuckDodgers began at the beginning.

I agree, mine was more or less DOA (It would only work attached to the Travel Hub). The fault was reported the same day it arrived, wait another week for the return box to arrive, its been away for week now. Only update from IREX, was in rely to my query.
DuckDodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:40 AM   #5
mtech
mtech began at the beginning.

Totally agreed. I'm still waiting for them to send me the box. It takes several days before they act on the email.
mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2006, 07:40 AM   #6
Drops
Connoisseur

Link to Irex forum:

http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?p=785#785

Please help us over there by "signing" it. Even if you didn't receive a dead Illiad, this will help new users - and in the long run Irex.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:43 AM   #7
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I would agree. I suggested to them that the process for DOA should be to send a replacement unit and a return box at the same time. They can take your credit card number to charge for the replacement unit if the original hasn't been returned after a reasonable period of time. Something like 10 days would seem appropriate. This speeds the process for the user and covers them in case people want to hang onto the unit.

I'm suspecting they haven't really thought through the direct business model very well. Since their plan has been to focus on the indirect market they are probably setup to have that function managed by the direct seller and they really function as a bulk service behind that. Just my .02. I've had decent responsiveness from them, but it is clear their policies are not end user/customer focused.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:54 AM   #8
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
Actually, i think exchanging the iliad and using the repaired iliad for the next exchange would be significantly customer-friendlier.

Only difference would be that your return box isn't empty but contains an iliad.

/waiting for news from iRex concerning my iliad - it was handed over by ups on monday morning.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:59 AM   #9
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Apparently my iLiad will be up to another 2 weeks in repair.

I have stressed that I find this unacceptable. I also tried to complain to their head office, but they refused to take my complaint, apparently that can only be done theough the German office.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:43 AM   #10
Drops
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz
Apparently my iLiad will be up to another 2 weeks in repair.

I have stressed that I find this unacceptable. I also tried to complain to their head office, but they refused to take my complaint, apparently that can only be done theough the German office.

Sorry to hear that

But I would love to read this in the other forum. I hope someone at Irex will read it and think about their policies.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:35 AM   #11
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
bad service can kill a company, look at techtronics.com sold loads of dvd players even supplied to the international space station but went bankrupt due to reported bad support.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:45 AM   #12
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Check here: statement from irex
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:58 AM   #13
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
iRex answer:
Quote:
Yes, we are aware of the issue and we agree this is not a situation that our customers should suffer.

I share a little bit of information with you all:
For the moment, our repair shop is not functional due to the lack of spare parts. They can only repair a few of the cases.

There was a chance to solve this issue quickly, and we tried to pursue this path, as having the repair shop 100% functional is beneficial for both users and iRex.
Basically, if we repair we do not work on the next sofware version for instance...

We have exausted now the alternative to have the repair shop 100% functional, so we will repair some cases and we will exchange the device in other cases.

We are currently examining all repair cases reported and get back to the users with the problem this week with accurate information about what they can expect.
DOA are most likely to be exchanged, but first we need an overall view on the issue.

Apologies for the incomvenience.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:17 AM   #14
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drops
Sorry to hear that

But I would love to read this in the other forum. I hope someone at Irex will read it and think about their policies.
As requested, I have posted the full sorry tale on the iRex forum
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:12 PM   #15
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
When I read about iRex's 'plight' ... I dunno whether to be happy or shocked. That they are so honest or so bad with planning.

The last I check, if they have such a problem with staffing, it's time to increase headcount!

Is the web designer also doubling up as repair tech?

PS: Nope, I didn't get an iLiad ...
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote