Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-24-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
TheEternalVortex
TheEternalVortex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
What do you do after you finish reading a book?

After I finish a book, it just sits on the main screen, taking up potential space. I wish there was a way to mark a book as "done" where it would go into some separate section so I could still access it but it wouldn't show up right away. I don't really want to delete it, since I did pay $$ for it and I might want to refer to it again later.
TheEternalVortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I move it into a folder and the folder has a name that signifies to me that I've read the books in that folder.

HOWEVER, I don't do this with the books I've purchased from Sony.

Any suggestions on this topic would be most helpful.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I "do maintenance" on my Kindle (errr.. connect the Kindle to my PC) every 2 weeks or so. At that time, I move books that I've completed off of the device. I keep a couple of text files on the Kindle which have lists of series order, books-to-buy, etc. I maintain these on my laptop and put the most recent version onto the Kindle at this time. I then add new books to the Kindle. I let the Kindle keep the most recently opened books at the top of the home page. So, when I finish a book, it does appear at the top of the list, but will move down as I open other books (or my text files).
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If these are Amazon ebooks, deleting them only removes them from memory. They are still available on Amazon's server. In the Content Manager, they show up as "Amazon" and you can you can transfer them back to "Kindle" or "SD Card" at any time Whispernet is up. They can also be re-downloaded via a PC, and I typically save a copy on my PC anyway.

Most ebooks without DRM (Baen, FictionWise, FeedBooks, ...) can also be re-downloaded from the provider, but it is again a good idea to save a copy on your PC.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
go on to another.duh .
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I put my SD card in, move the book to the card, and then remove the card again. That way I have my whole library on the card if I want to reload a book (and not depend on Amazon's online library for me or my connection) but don't have to look at the book in my list all the time.

I am eager for the option to hide the SD card list and only see the "on the Kindle" list in the home screen so I don't have to keep putting the card in and removing it. (And BTW - I back up the card every once in a while to my PC.)
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If it is an eBook, I move the eBook into a directory on my computer called Read and there it stays so I know I've read it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I write down on my book database (an SGML file) that I have read the book and the date. For ebooks I move the book to a folder .read on my Cybook (the . is there so I do not see the read books in the library view).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post
I put my SD card in, move the book to the card, and then remove the card again. That way I have my whole library on the card if I want to reload a book (and not depend on Amazon's online library for me or my connection) but don't have to look at the book in my list all the time.

I am eager for the option to hide the SD card list and only see the "on the Kindle" list in the home screen so I don't have to keep putting the card in and removing it. (And BTW - I back up the card every once in a while to my PC.)
I hadn't thought of that idea. I do what JSWolf does; I put it in a Read folder.

I was thinking of burning the files [books] to CD [no DVD burner on my computer], but SD cards have gotten so cheap and ebooks are typically so small that I'm going to look into your method.

Thank you.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:43 AM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If it is an eBook, I move the eBook into a directory on my computer called Read and there it stays so I know I've read it.
But if it's called "Read" how do you know you don't still have to "read" it?!?

I just maintain copies of my e-books in an "e-books" folder on my PC. I only have to look at the name to tell me if I have or have not read it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #11
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I just take it off my device next time I sync up. I already have a backup archived. I now maintain a Master Read list on Google Doc and I also update and post reviews on Facebook (BooksIRead app) and LibrayThing.com ( for recommendations).
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEternalVortex View Post
After I finish a book, it just sits on the main screen, taking up potential space. I wish there was a way to mark a book as "done" where it would go into some separate section so I could still access it but it wouldn't show up right away. I don't really want to delete it, since I did pay $$ for it and I might want to refer to it again later.
I just go ahead and delete it from my ebook reader. After all, I always make a copy to my desktop pc. And one a month I gather all of the new (as of that month) ebooks onto two backup mini-dvd discs - along with all the new digital photos I've taken.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #13
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
1 - Delete it.
2 - Move to the next.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote