Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-12-2012, 03:04 AM   #16
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3 64Gb Black
How do you tell?
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #17
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops, got my daughter to look for the box....

I apologize it IS a 3GS

Does that impact why the contacts are not coming over?
Old 08-12-2012, 03:58 AM   #18
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I don't know if it impacts why the contacts are not coming over, sorry.

I just picked up the 3Gs and had my service provider transfer my contacts over while I was at the store. I wish that I hadn't. I ended up with duplicates and some triple ones. Apparently, those that were in favorites and other groups were carried over as separate entries and those with home and mobile numbers also transferred as separate entries.

I spent longer trying to fix it than it would have taken to just enter everything myself.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #19
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Can you export the contacts from the Nokia to your computer? I imagine you would then be able to import them to the iPhone through [software depends on your operating system, on a Mac I would import into Contacts].
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Are you sure its not a 3GS?
It would have to be a 3GS. I have a 3G and 5.1.1 is not available. I'm waiting for the new iPhone before I update.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louwin View Post
Oops, got my daughter to look for the box....

I apologize it IS a 3GS

Does that impact why the contacts are not coming over?
You might be better putting them in by hand depending on how they were setup before. With the iPhone, you can have a complete entry including multiple phone numbers, multiple email and addresses. So think of how you had things setup before vs how you can do it now and decide if the contacts would come over the way you would want them.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #22
louwin
Newbie Nerd

Thanks

I had slowly come to that conclusion too.

With my iPad Bluetooth keyboard paired to the iPhone it should be a less painfull job (and quicker(?)).

Only Windows 7 64bit laptop and desktop in the house (and all Windows family otherwise)....

I will be sticking with my free 3GS though as I imagine a new iPhone 5(?) will cost heaps MORE than my 64Gb New iPad

Thanks again
Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #23
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Since only the contacts you added are showing up for import, are you sure the original nokia contacts were not saved on the device itself? Then when you set it to save to sim it's only saving new ones to the sim?

Possible way to test that is pop someone else's sim into the nokia and see if you still have your contacts accessable.

The 3GS is fine btw. Much much better hardware than the 3G and still quite usable today imo.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #24
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
Doesn't your nokia have an export to outlook or export to xml or csv option? If it does you can just import the exported files to your outlook which your iTunes can get the contacts from when you perform a sync through iTunes.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You can upgrade a 3GS to a 4 for about $50. That's a reasonable upgrade to get a better battery life, better screen and a not crippled iOS 6.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:20 AM   #26
louwin
Newbie Nerd

JoeD, yes I'm sure.

My Nokia, old though it is, has options for SIM only, SIM and phone and only phone storage of contacts.

I had it set for the AND option and I had synced everything B4 putting the SIM in my iPhone.

No, there isn't an export facility, I told you it was OLD. It has a backup to PC but produces strange files.

I would love to transfer my contacts as I have been using them for a while and they are all valid etc. copying them may result in transcription errors etc.

I do realize the iPhone has far more fields available but they could be easily entered at leisure.

I would certainly be into the upgrade to 4 option but I suspect that is only available to you in the US. . I suspect us Ozzies will have to pay full price for a 4.

I will check but? The 3GS is still on sale here and it would be advantageous to buy a 3GS and pay the $50 as this would be cheaper that buying a 4 straight.

Anyway thanks for all the responses.

I thought the thread was just coming to an end

Old 08-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #27
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

If you can connect it to a computer then it is not old enough not to have a working backup to pc. What do you mean by strange files? I had old nokias too. Going back from 6600, 6630, and other models whose name I forgot. I always kept my contacts via phone memory, since I like keeping full names and details of my contacts. I export them to my pc, and they have survived to date, being used in both my iPod touch 3g, and my android devices. I have like 300+ entries going as far back as my first year of College. ^_^
I know its possible... somehow I managed to do it after all.

You're welcome to try your other options. I was just trying to explore this possibility with you.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by louwin View Post
It has a backup to PC but produces strange files.
What are the strange files, are they .vcf files? If so those files can be imported by the iPhone IIRC.

Perhaps this will help???
http://www.troublefixers.com/how-to-...sing-computer/

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #29
Delotte231
Connoisseur

While I like the idea of transferring without the computer, i prefer the computer method because that will keep my contacts database for future devices that may or may not support import from anything other than a computer. ^_^

Still, nice find.