Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #16
emusan
Edge User

A wiki will help a lot, the boards are all a little to cluttered as is and it is getting hard to find things lol. If you need help setting it up just ask(preferably on mobileread in case this goes down before i can read anything...)

Old 05-31-2011, 02:13 PM   #17
Filark
Edge User

Thank you Zem and enTourage! I hate to see it end, especially registration, the forum, and hope for a finalized Ermine.

I'm still shopping for a big eDGe and will see you all on MobileRead.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #18
sarah11918
Edge User

I also want to give great thanks for the excellent customer service I received early on, for creating a device that was exactly what I was looking for at the time, and for providing a place where this community flourished. I have never once regretted my EE purchase and I'm thankful for a REAL stylus-oriented tablet that didn't require me to succumb to Windows. Even though I have my eye on a few different devices for the future, the edge will continue to be my go-to journal.

I look forward to seeing everyone soon on MR. We only just yesterday arrived home after months of traveling, so I may take a bit of a break to figure out where my house sitter has put everything and to enjoy being in a summer town just starting to coming to life, but I won't be gone long.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #19
NiaTrue
Edge User

So long, farewell, enTourage! I value my eDGe now more than ever and wish the best for former employees, who provided great feedback, technical support and occassional bouts of laughter on the forum.

Thanks, indeed, for all the fish, and don't forget your towel. See the rest of you on Mobileread.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #20
AbbyN0rmal
Edge User

Oh no, this is so sad! And my PE is out to them for repair, will I get it back, hopefully fixed?

Old 05-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #21
borisb
Edge User

I would think you will, even if it's literally the last thing they do

Old 05-31-2011, 05:33 PM   #22
sarah11918
Edge User

I hope you'll get it back! That would be just horrible if you didn't get it. They are still people there, after all. I don't know how at least someone wouldn't take the initiative to send it back to you, even if they had to do it unofficially or under the radar.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #23
lorenzoens
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
There will be no updates, downloads, website, support, warranty, service, etc.
Handle your eDGe with great care, because once it breaks, that'll be it.
That's why I can only feel rage against them. Two months ago I bought my eDGe. Before it was shipped to me, I asked the Support: "Is your company going to be shut down? I will only buy if I have support" And Customer Support answered me: "IN BEHALF OF ENTOURAGE, WE'RE NOT SHUTTING DOWN". I bought my eDGe, they were lying.

LIARS. Asghar Mostafa I will cover your name with dirt everytime I can.
---------------

Boris you've been of great help, more than the official Cust Supp. I wish to thank you too personally, together with Nia, Sarah, Donna and others. We'll meet on the other boards, I hope.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 05-31-2011 at 06:10 PM.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:05 PM   #24
netrobot
Edge User

We'll never know exactly how things happened, who was "to blame" or if anyone was. I've seen this happen FROM THE INSIDE, and I can tell you that reliable information -- predicting even the NEAR future, is often impossible, even high up in a company. You usually see phases of renewed enthusiasm as it winds down, but ultimately, when the money runs out, there is just no way to keep going.

If they could have stayed in business why would they have decided not to? If they couldn't, anyone's expectation that they do, just to continue supporting past buyers is a little unreasonable isn't it? I mean, are we suggesting everyone on staff is obligated to mortgage their homes to keep a company going that made products the market didn't validate? If every high tech start-up was forced to perpetuate even after it clearly failed, you'd see very little venture capital floating around because each venture would in effect be a huge anchor of debt.

As for the SDK, I hope one surfaces, but I doubt one will OFFICIALLY. If it was developed at Entourage, it's a corporate asset that has some value. If it was acquired, it is licensed and cannot be given away. I don't know exactly how the eInk panel is integrated into the unit and Android, but it seems likely that people will be forced to abandon eInk to move forward with Android, or leave their units alone. If the eInk panel is useless, I would think any number of lower-priced tablets would be better.

Users who want to move forward with Android will buy newer tablets with more memory, more resolution, faster processors... It would be nice to get Market and the other Google apps working on the eDGe though.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #25
emusan
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrobot View Post
We'll never know exactly how things happened, who was "to blame" or if anyone was. I've seen this happen FROM THE INSIDE, and I can tell you that reliable information -- predicting even the NEAR future, is often impossible, even high up in a company. You usually see phases of renewed enthusiasm as it winds down, but ultimately, when the money runs out, there is just no way to keep going.

If they could have stayed in business why would they have decided not to? If they couldn't, anyone's expectation that they do, just to continue supporting past buyers is a little unreasonable isn't it? I mean, are we suggesting everyone on staff is obligated to mortgage their homes to keep a company going that made products the market didn't validate? If every high tech start-up was forced to perpetuate even after it clearly failed, you'd see very little venture capital floating around because each venture would in effect be a huge anchor of debt.

As for the SDK, I hope one surfaces, but I doubt one will OFFICIALLY. If it was developed at Entourage, it's a corporate asset that has some value. If it was acquired, it is licensed and cannot be given away. I don't know exactly how the eInk panel is integrated into the unit and Android, but it seems likely that people will be forced to abandon eInk to move forward with Android, or leave their units alone. If the eInk panel is useless, I would think any number of lower-priced tablets would be better.

Users who want to move forward with Android will buy newer tablets with more memory, more resolution, faster processors... It would be nice to get Market and the other Google apps working on the eDGe though.
Actually, a few of us over at mobileread are beginning to understand how to communicate with the e-ink, so there is a good possibility that we will be able to use it in the future, SDK or not. Also, I(and I think a few others) am continuing work on the google apps, though I'm not sure how long it will take, and after my last failure its going to take more testing before i can promise anything...

Old 05-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #26
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
Boris . . . together with Nia, Sarah, Donna and others.
I'd say we were Boris' Angels, but I don't think there's a redhead among us.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #27
netrobot
Edge User

That would make Emusan Bosley? And who was the redhead? Or are you talking about Charlie's Angels II?

It's good to know work is still being done on the hacking side. I read on the XDA-Developer's site that someone recommended "un-signed" files and I've downloaded the GAP package. It makes sense that it might resolve the issues.

Another thing they mentioned is that you have to convert the apps from Personal apps to System apps, using Titanium Backup to do it. Emusan, have you been all through this stuff? (if this forum goes down, just continue it over on MobileRead)

Old 05-31-2011, 09:12 PM   #28
emusan
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrobot View Post
That would make Emusan Bosley? And who was the redhead? Or are you talking about Charlie's Angels II?

It's good to know work is still being done on the hacking side. I read on the XDA-Developer's site that someone recommended "un-signed" files and I've downloaded the GAP package. It makes sense that it might resolve the issues.

Another thing they mentioned is that you have to convert the apps from Personal apps to System apps, using Titanium Backup to do it. Emusan, have you been all through this stuff? (if this forum goes down, just continue it over on MobileRead)
Yup, that was how we started(back on the xda thread, which has been pretty quite recently), now we're looking at alternate methods, as those seem to be linked to the account that is used before the backup. Right now I'm looking into a few different alternatives, though I don't have too much time this week and next for working on it.

Also, I've seen one of the Charlies Angles movies, but it was awhile ago, is being Bosley a good thing?

If your interested in working on hacking the device, read through the thread with hardware and software technical specs on the mobileread forums and/or hit me up with a PM over there.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #29
netrobot
Edge User

Charlie's Angels was a movie? Jeez, where have I been?

Old 06-01-2011, 12:46 AM   #30
javese
Edge User

I can't say thank to entourage's customer service as I haven't got a chance to benefit from it.The company went out of business before I get my new purchased PE. Nevertheless I still want to thank entourage for leading me to this forum and meeting so many nice people here.