Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #16
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
http://www.religion-online.org/
Has a lot of Christian (and other religious) texts. Being in Religious Studies I've found this site very useful from time to time (and much of writers like Tillich are interesting for people of any religious persuasion). I've contacted the owner of the site about editing some of the content for distribution in free ebooks and he has no problem with it, but I'm not certain he has the rights necessary to say that.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I know this is an old thread, but has anyone seen any Christian books on the market? I know my mother would LOVE a reader but she only reads Christian books (that's just her preference).
Yes, there are Christian books. Look under Religion on any of the eBook sites. Check my home page for more information.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #18
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Also the Internet Sacred Texts Archive has both Christian and other religious works (for free).
http://www.sacred-texts.com/
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:04 AM   #19
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Thanks for the replies. I've seen many of those sites. What I'm looking or is Christian fiction from Tyndale or Zondervan, for example.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't think I've ever come across the idea of "Christian fiction" before. What is it, other than books about Christianity? Would something like that exceedingly odd "Left Behind" series count?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #21
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, but that's a pretty far-off version of Christian fiction. I have only read a few titles myself, but Christian fiction can be considered stories (of different types) that perhaps center around a religious theme, or concept, or person who believes (or comes to believe).

Just like in all fiction, there are good stories and there are bad ones. I can't speak for all of Christian fiction, but the ones I have read are pretty good.

I have read a lot of Ted Dekker's work. He writes spiritual and supernatural thrillers in the vein of Stephen King and Dean Koontz. I have also read a lot of Frank Peretti's work.

These books typically contain little offensive content such as swearing, sex, etc. (part of the fun some books, I know).

They tend to offer hopeful messages and most of them are not preachy books. If you've never read a Christian novel, take a look at some of these sites. I am not an expert, but I visit them on occasion.

http://www.frankperetti.com/
http://www.teddekker.com/

I am sure that there are more (lots) of Christian authors out there besides these, but they are my two favorites Christian fiction authors (contemporary).

There's also a new book called Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt by Anne Rice that takes a look at what Christ's childhood might have been like. It's a great book and done very well (Anne Rice, of course!)

If you want more info, I can get you some emails for some people that know this Christian fiction stuff inside and out.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:28 PM   #22
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
For older Catholic fiction try our book upload section. There's some Robert Hugh Benson ( - 'The Lord of All' is about the coming of the antichrist etc) and some Huysmans.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #23
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
NIV on PRS 505 USELESS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I can't help wondering how useful something like a bible would be on the reader, given the lack of a search facility. Perhaps a decent TOC could be an acceptable substitute.
I tried taking my Sony PRS 505 with the NIV loaded to Bible Study. It was far too slow to get to any verses. I've gone back to my pBook Bible for that purpose.

I only use the 505 occasionally to read other books when away from my PC which is very rare. However, I do like the books available for eBook Library on the PC. I only read non-fiction for the most part.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #24
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

I've generally found Christian fiction to be pretty god-awful, but... I'm Jewish, so, you know... maybe the themes don't resonate with me.

Things that are made to "be" religious always strikes me a bit off (Christian Rock, for instance.) There's so many gorgeous hymns and operas, and then there's that garbage they keep advertising on the history channel late at night. I always find the quality to be terrible but people somehow let it go because Jesus is in there somewhere.

That being said... I'm a rather religious person myself, and I don't have any problems with Christianity either (in fact, I just presented a 13 page paper beating down on Sam Harris's "Letter to a Christian Nation") I just generally find things that are mediocre in the name of religion even more distasteful than mediocre things that aren't.

I'm sure there's some good stuff out there... each to their own. But I live in Oklahoma, and the "Christian" book stores here are pretty over the top - that may have biased me.

As for those "Left Behind" books.... cripes. What a wonderful combination of bad writing and bad theology.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:10 PM   #25
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Gideon. I'm with you 100 percent.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:37 AM   #26
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon
(in fact, I just presented a 13 page paper beating down on Sam Harris's "Letter to a Christian Nation")
Hi Gideon. Is your paper available online or would you be willing to share it? I'd be interested in reading it. I read Sam Harris' book not too long ago. Please PM me if you think that'd be more appropriate.

Thanks!
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:20 AM   #27
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
I think jplumey just asked if any of you knew *where* to find Christian fiction, not your opinions on it. Although I agree with what many of you said, I find it a bit odd to bash her mother's preference. If I asked if any of you knew a good website for, I dunno, erotic fiction, would you go and bash that genre too? Perhaps I'm being oversensitive today...
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:26 AM   #28
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Actually, I was responding to Harry's question.... Anyone's anybody can read whatever they like. I just personally don't get it or like it. Just makin' conversation....

---
Gatton - I can certainly make it available if you'd like a copy.
Now, right here:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf harris.pdf (173.6 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by Gideon; 01-31-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:44 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Actually, I was responding to Harry's question....
... and I, in turn, wasn't criticising anyone's choice of reading matter. Just asking what it was.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #30
astrodad
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I've generally found Christian fiction to be pretty god-awful...

As for those "Left Behind" books.... cripes. What a wonderful combination of bad writing and bad theology.
I'd be curious to know what you read that you found to be "god-awful", which is kind of an interesting way to express your opinion considering we're talking about religious fiction.

I think just like every kind of expressive art, you're going to find good and bad quality. I have found Christian music that I think is way better than what's playing on mainstream radio and then there are songs that make me cringe, in the same way that I cringe when I hear a bad song on mainstream radio. I think it would be foolish to label them bad just because they're Christian. If you're open to doing that, then it's probably based on your subjective opinion of Christianity, rather than an objective review of the piece (book or song, or whatever).

I agree on the Left Behind series. They're absolutely terrible from every perspective. I read a chapter from my mother and I nearly laughed. The same way I laughed when I read the DaVinci code or Eragon.