Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Don't you hate to have a good book end?

Ice Limit by Preston & Child

I'm having separation anxiety. I wanted the book to go on forever!

Is this why people read serials?

Are my feelings evidence of a well written enjoyable book or do I become too involved ... sensitive ... obsessed with the plot and characters? I am not liking this sadness I am feeling.

I need to watch an episode of I Love Lucy.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
When I saw the title, I was wondering what was wrong with book-ends. They're quite useful to stop things falling off the end of the shelf ...

Anyway, yes. It's particularly bad when the author has died, so there's no hope of more. Don't serials just put off the inevitable? Once you get to the last one, you'll get end of serial anxiety, which is worse.

What we need is computer-generated books that never end.

Here's my first offering:

10 PRINT "It was a dark and stormy night, and the captain said to his mate - 'tell us a story'; so the mate began. ";
20 GOTO 10

Now all we need to do is improve the algorithm a bit.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I definitely have that feeling when I finish a great book. Sometimes I'll even get despondent enough to think I'll *never* find another book that good... Such drama!
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Yes. Yes. Yes. For me, it's not often that I find such a book, but when I do...I want it to on and on and on forever :-)
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Definitely. I was that way with the Harry Potter stories, and a few others, as well. I think I will probably read anything Jo Rowling puts out. She plans things out so much, and slips in details that make you want to reread to make sure you got all the nuances.
mrscoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
Definitely. I was that way with the Harry Potter stories...
well, then you shouldn't have much trouble finding ANOTHER book to love to pieces if that is your baseline ;-)

I don't know if I have ever come across a book I didn't want to end. I've come across series where I wanted more stories from that world, but a specific book, nothing springs to mind...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I don't hate it, for me I find I get a rather good feeling that a good book has reached a conclusion of the story, for me it brings it all together. What I do hate is a good book that has in comparison to the entire story a rather bad ending.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
No words can convey the sorrow of a masterpiece run its course. Like losing a dear friend, its impact will resonate within you long after you've set the book down.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
MartinParish
Author of 2184
MartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Yep, that's how I felt when I read Lord of the Rings for the first time in middle school...
MartinParish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
...What I do hate is a good book that has in comparison to the entire story a rather bad ending.
I hear ya!

I always hate to come to the end of a good book; more so if it's a really good series. What I really hate is when an author has a series going or has promised a sequel and dies before the series end or the sequel can happen. Robert Jordon milked the snot out of the Wheel of Time series then died before he could finish it. Fortunately, his wife had his notes and a pretty good idea where he wanted to go with it and has hired a ghost writer to finish it (but even he is milking it ). Louis Lamour promised a sequel to The Walking Drum but wrote umpteen other books instead, then died. How rude!
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Yes, its sometimes sad for me to come to the end of a book that I've really enjoyed.

Sometimes, I get so into a book that I find myself thinking in the style of the book (grammar, syntax, etc) for a little bit as I slowly exit the world the author built. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's as if the author's words and the story have altered my mental patterns for just a little bit...

Anyone else have that happen to them ... or is it just me?

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
Sometimes, I get so into a book that I find myself thinking in the style of the book (grammar, syntax, etc) for a little bit as I slowly exit the world the author built. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's as if the author's words and the story have altered my mental patterns for just a little bit...

Anyone else have that happen to them ... or is it just me?

Marilyn
Children do that all the time - whenever we finish a story or watch a film, my son wants to play whatever it was - "I'll be Indiana Jones" or whatever. As we get older the influence that books have on us changes, but I certainly recognise the feeling you're describing. I think that most of what I read is pretty safe, but my wife likes reading thrillers about psycho killers ...
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
I think that most of what I read is pretty safe, but my wife likes reading thrillers about psycho killers ...
Ben, look out behind you!

Ben!
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Is this why people read serials?
Well, it's why I prefer to read series. I like serials too, but the point is still for the story to come to a climax and end.... and then go on to the next story.

(Actually, in the days of silent movies, serials often did work more like a regular series - with a full story in each episode.)

But yes, nothing pleases me more than to discover some series that has ten books or so in it - so that I can indulge myself until satisfied.

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #15
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
no. I need the closure.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote