Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #16
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g, Kindle Paperwhite v1
Oh I forgot to mention it but I have really found myself loving http://www.crapimissedit.com/index.php They let you follow author's and get notifications when new releases or re-releases show up on amazon (and some other sites). It has really made it much easier to find out when new books from my favorite authors have been released.
tapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #17
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If I find a book I'm really interested in and it's over $9.99 then it goes on my wish list. I check back periodically to see if the price goes down. Even $9.99 is too much for most of my ebook purchases, I tend to purchase at well under $8.00.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 11:44 PM   #18
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
That is precisely what the cartel is hoping we will do. I will not.
Um I am not sure I'm quite that... ummm... ""

In any case I don't buy the paper books from Amazon either, for some reason their prices for used paper books has gone through the roof also.

I buy locally.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:33 AM   #19
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle 2
I download a lot of cheap or free books, but only if the story is one that interests me. But because there are a lot of them available, I take advantage of them. Thus, the majority of my books fall into this category, but it is an availability thing rather than a conscious decision to only get them if they are cheap or free.

I bought my K2 because I travel a lot and I got tired of carrying 6 paperbacks in my luggage on each trip. If I want a particular book, I'll buy it regardless of whether it is priced below or above $9.99 - that 'threshold' is meaningless to why I bought my K2. After spending $300 on the K2 itself I am not motivated to wait weeks for the price of a book I want to drop $5 or so - having it to read when I want it is worth more to me.

I will add that I believe that in theory e-books should not be more expensive than paperback versions. But the book companies pricing strategy is always aimed at maximizing their profits, so if there are more folks who buy when prices are lower they are ultimate apt to notice and respond accordingly.
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:43 AM   #20
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapar View Post
I still find myself buying books, but if they are over $10 or priced higher than the paperback...I get really annoyed and try hard to resist buying it....but if it is a book I am really interested in then I buy it anyway.

I want to fight and contribute to the movement by boycotting, but I have two problems with it. The first is I have to deny myself and I am awful at that. The second is that I strongly suspect most publishers WANT ebook boycotts. I think they want to delay the mass acceptance of ebooks as long as possible to retain their crumbling paper book empires. The longer it takes to really catch on, the longer they have before they face RIAA and MPA levels of piracy.

I think the one that annoys me the most though is when the paper book is cheaper than tebook. I didn't know how much I preferred ebook till I started reading a thick hard cover book and found myself switching to the ebook half way through.
this is a good point that I wish we could really explore... if we coukld make an impact with boycotting and let them know we are acheiving satisfaction elsewhere (doesn't that just sound like a good romance novel? [which I loathe]) by visiting the darknet...???
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #21
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapar View Post
...I want to fight and contribute to the movement by boycotting, but I have two problems with it. The first is I have to deny myself and I am awful at that. The second is that I strongly suspect most publishers WANT ebook boycotts... I think they want to delay the mass acceptance of ebooks as long as possible to retain their crumbling paper book empires. .
I have no problem with denying myself. I got ticked off at Dean Koontz once because he waited 4 years to publish the 3rd book in his Frankenstein series. Didn't buy any of his other books during that time either. That might seem like obsessive behavior to some but I don't need Dean Koontz. He's lost me. Someone finally gave me a copy of it and it's still sitting around, unread. Still haven't bought any new Koontz but have found other authors who have replaced him for me.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #22
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I haven't bought any ebooks that cost more than 9.99, and I don't plan to.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I just don't care. As long as the ebook isn't more expensive than the print book, I'll buy it (if it's something I really want). I didn't buy a Kindle so my books would be cheaper... I bought a Kindle because I'm a geek.

I understand where everyone is coming from, but I just can't support a boycott that punishes the authors (whose work I admire and love) along with the publishers. I also can't put a random ceiling on the price I'm willing to pay for a good story.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #24
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
No, I'm not participating and no, I don't think it's working. A boycott only works if you have a critical mass, and there's no sign of that.

I am also pretty price sensitive, but paying $12.99 for a new release where the hardback is $18 or $19 is something I'm occasionally willing to do. OTOH, nothing irritates me more than a backlist title that has a $6.99 paperback available and the ebook has a higher price.
I'm sort of participating. I'm finding myself reading a lot of free public domain classics that I've never read. (Next in que is David Copperfield which I have to admit in high school I only read the cliff notes!!) I started a thread a couple of weeks ago about ebook prices higher than their paperback counter parts. That irritates me more than 12.99 or 13.99 for an ebook of a new released hardback. I have a few of the Evanonvich Stephanie Plum paperbacks I bought at walmart for like 5 bucks. I really like them and considered starting to buy them in ebook. All are 8.99 or 7.99 so I passed. I found five more of the 15 out at a garage sale for .25 cents and scarfed them up. Had the ebook been 5.99 or less I probably would have over time bought them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
I have no problem with denying myself. I got ticked off at Dean Koontz once because he waited 4 years to publish the 3rd book in his Frankenstein series. Didn't buy any of his other books during that time either. That might seem like obsessive behavior to some but I don't need Dean Koontz. He's lost me. Someone finally gave me a copy of it and it's still sitting around, unread. Still haven't bought any new Koontz but have found other authors who have replaced him for me.
I have the same problem with George RR Martin. I read the first three books of the Song of Fire and Ice series and loved every word. Then book four came out and bam what a bummer. (Lousy) Now he's been doing everything under the sun but finishing book five. Book 5 has been about 5 years in the making and still no release date. Heaven forbid he doesn't finish it before football season or we'll wait even 6 more months (read his blog). I'm through with him. I had his first 4 books in large paperback, gave them away and won't bother with book 5 at all. As far as the pending HBO series, I'll boycott that as well.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #25
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post

I have the same problem with George RR Martin. I read the first three books of the Song of Fire and Ice series and loved every word. Then book four came out and bam what a bummer. (Lousy) Now he's been doing everything under the sun but finishing book five. Book 5 has been about 5 years in the making and still no release date. Heaven forbid he doesn't finish it before football season or we'll wait even 6 more months (read his blog). I'm through with him. I had his first 4 books in large paperback, gave them away and won't bother with book 5 at all. As far as the pending HBO series, I'll boycott that as well.
ha! I was about to bring him up! I read the first 3 when they came out, never expecting that it would be such a grueling wait! I can't believe his publisher hasn't taken him to task as he has been writing other things.

a series huh?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #26
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Speaking as a mere observer, to what sign would you be referring? I would like to see comparative results of actual ebook sales prior and post-agency model pricing. It might prove to be interesting.
Well, every time I look at the boycott thread at the Amazon forums, I see the same 20 or 30 people posting. Also, no significant media attention, no real action outside not buying to call attention to the "cause" (protests, op-ed campaigns, etc.). Is any of this required? No, but it does help a boycott's cause if more than a relatively insular group are even aware of it. I doubt that most Kindle users who don't visit the forums even know it exists.

I have no doubt that a small group of people -- maybe 100, heck, maybe even 500 -- take this very seriously. But Amazon has sold tens of thousands of Kindles by the most conservative estimates. Do the die-hards have some effect on the publisher's sales? Sure. Some effect. But personally, I see no critical mass that would force publishers to lower prices.

Also, it helps a boycott along if you are sure the sellers of the product really want to sell it. I'm not sure that's true here. I think at least one of the big six would be happy to see ebooks wither and die.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #27
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
ha! I was about to bring him up! I read the first 3 when they came out, never expecting that it would be such a grueling wait! I can't believe his publisher hasn't taken him to task as he has been writing other things.

a series huh?
Yea, from Wikpedia:

In March 2010, HBO greenlit a television series based on A Song of Ice and Fire, with David Benioff and Dan Weiss attached to write and executive produce.[37] Called Game of Thrones, it stars Sean Bean, Peter Dinklage, and Lena Headey.[7][38] The series will cover one novel's worth of material per season,[6] and is expected to debut in Spring 2011.[39]
Old 06-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #28
drofgnal
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post

a series huh?
I'm not sure he's even been doing that much 'other things' than glued to the tube during football season and travelling the globe. He's stated he has about 1300 pages of material for book 5 which parallels in time book 4 dealing with the characters not mentioned in 4. (eg. Tyrion, Danyerius sp?, The remaining Starks etc.)

I can only summize that book 4 was such a disaster that he's taking the time to correct the folly of book 4 and start bringing things along to some conclusion down the road.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #29
drofgnal
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Well, every time I look at the boycott thread at the Amazon forums, I see the same 20 or 30 people posting. Also, no significant media attention, no real action outside not buying to call attention to the "cause" (protests, op-ed campaigns, etc.). Is any of this required? No, but it does help a boycott's cause if more than a relatively insular group are even aware of it. I doubt that most Kindle users who don't visit the forums even know it exists.

I have no doubt that a small group of people -- maybe 100, heck, maybe even 500 -- take this very seriously. But Amazon has sold tens of thousands of Kindles by the most conservative estimates. Do the die-hards have some effect on the publisher's sales? Sure. Some effect. But personally, I see no critical mass that would force publishers to lower prices.

Also, it helps a boycott along if you are sure the sellers of the product really want to sell it. I'm not sure that's true here. I think at least one of the big six would be happy to see ebooks wither and die.
Hey, all we can do is try to have our voice heard. Better than sticking our heads in the sand. A movement has to start somewhere.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #30
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
No boycott here. I'm continuing to do what I always have and that's to decide on a book by book basis if the asking price is worth it to me and buying or not buying accordingly.
What he said. +1
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote