Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Strange Problem... can't read the whole book

Hello,

My girls and I just got back from vacation last night, and we had a great time! We didn't have any troubles traveling through security with my Pocket Pro, and we had a great time with my parents and grandparents! Mom really liked my Pocket Pro. Grandma has always been an avid reader, but unfortunately several years ago she lost her eye sight. So I had an opportunity to read to her from her favorite author. She was really impressed that I could have so many books on that little electronic device!

Anyway, to my problem... before I left I found a page with some Stargate SG1 fan fiction. I made ebooks with them using one of the new betas of Sigil, and loaded them onto my ebook. I was close to the end (or so I thought) on the plane home, when all of a sudden the book ended in the middle of a sentence! I thought maybe I hadn't copied the entire book, so when I got home last night I opened up the copy on my computer to see. Well, the whole book is there. I opened it both in Sigil, and in ADE, and both programs see the entire book. So I made another copy (with a slightly different name so it wouldn't override the previous copy) and put it on my SD card. I tried opening that one, and it ends in the same place. The PP says it is page 129 of 129, and it just quits. I've tried it in size 3 font, and in the original font. Not that that would make any difference, but I was grasping at straws. So this morning I popped the SD card into my computer to check the epub files, and I can read the entire book on my computer. It is very strange that I can see it on my computer, but not on my pocket pro. I also tried putting a copy of the book onto the internal memory of the Pocket Pro, but it still ends on page 129. This is the strangest thing, and I just cannot imagine why I can read the books on my computer, but not on my Pocket Pro. I don't think it has anything to do with sigil, since I can read the books in ADE. And since the copies from my card can be read on my computer, I don't think there's anything wrong with the file. But I am open to suggestions! I've gotta find out how the book ends! But I don't want to read it on my computer.

Oh, and my Pocket Pro is fully charged. I can read other books that are much longer with no problem. Also, this book is only 130 K, and I've got another book on there that is over 1MB, so the size shouldn't be the problem. Thanks for any advice!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Fincary
Fincary began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise-1150; Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro; Nook
I've had a similar problem, though not on my reader.

I had an EPUB file that I tried to edit in Sigil, but it wouldn't open because of some unrecognized tag. Calibre would view the file with no problem. To fix it, I used Calibre to convert the file to RTF, then converted back to EPUB. That wiped out the bad tag, and I was able to do my edits.

You may have something similar happening with your file. If it has some kind of "bad spot" in your EPUB file, the reader may just stop when it hits it while the programs on your computer ignore it. Try converting it to another format, and see what happens.
Fincary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Wow, thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincary View Post

I had an EPUB file that I tried to edit in Sigil, but it wouldn't open because of some unrecognized tag. Calibre would view the file with no problem. To fix it, I used Calibre to convert the file to RTF, then converted back to EPUB. That wiped out the bad tag, and I was able to do my edits.

You may have something similar happening with your file. If it has some kind of "bad spot" in your EPUB file, the reader may just stop when it hits it while the programs on your computer ignore it. Try converting it to another format, and see what happens.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! That did it! My book suddenly about doubled in size. Whew, now I can finish reading it! I see you're new here, and I hope you stick around the forums, because you seem to know what you're doing!

Now I'm off to read...
Old 03-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you have still have a faulty copy filed, you might try checking it
http://code.google.com/p/epubcheck/

It may tell you where the error is and you can use the code view of the new Sigil Beta to fix it without risking your other changes.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Thanks, TheDucks! If I get brave, I will try it. I don't think I'd understand what I'd be seeing in the code view.
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Thanks, TheDucks! If I get brave, I will try it. I don't think I'd understand what I'd be seeing in the code view.
Stare at a few pages and you will see that inside the
Code:
<body> the book page </body>
that tags, mostly are pairs with an open tag that may have (style...) arguments and a simple close of the tag that has the slash.
Scramble the nestings?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Some Unrecognized Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincary View Post

Dear Fincary:

PLEASE, post more often! Your answer really made someone's day!

I am very grateful that you own a Pocket PRO and I thank you for helping others!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #8
Fincary
Fincary began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise-1150; Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro; Nook
I'm glad to help when I can.

Lord knows I've learned a LOT from these boards myself! The great community here, and Robertb's involvement, went a long way with me in the choice to buy my PEz.
Fincary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Bonus points to any company that has people near the top, actively interact with the end users.

There are not many that do this, these days
Baen's Publisher, Toni actively participates on their Web Board: Baens Bar. Readers speak and answers come back quickly.
No pushing it up the chain and waiting.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If you have still have a faulty copy filed, you might try checking it
http://code.google.com/p/epubcheck/

It may tell you where the error is and you can use the code view of the new Sigil Beta to fix it without risking your other changes.
How does this work? I can't get epubcheck to do anything; it assumes huge amounts of knowledge from users.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
How does this work? I can't get epubcheck to do anything; it assumes huge amounts of knowledge from users.
From the web site where it was downloaded.

To run the tool you need java (1.5 or above). Any OS should do. Run it from the command line:

java -jar epubcheck-0.9.2.jar file.epub

All detected errors are simply printed to stderr.

Is that clear enough?

My guess would be that if it doesn't work you need to use the same numbers as the version you download. epubcheck-1.0.5.jar for example.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
From the web site where it was downloaded.

To run the tool you need java (1.5 or above). Any OS should do. Run it from the command line:

java -jar epubcheck-0.9.2.jar file.epub

All detected errors are simply printed to stderr.

Is that clear enough?

My guess would be that if it doesn't work you need to use the same numbers as the version you download. epubcheck-1.0.5.jar for example.

Dale
Dale, thanks for the response, but, errm...no, sorry, not clear enough for me

Do you need to put the full file location in there? What does "simply printed to stderr" mean (not that I'm getting that far yet)?
Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel
stderr is 'standard error'. It usually gets shown to the screen.
Joebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Dale, thanks for the response, but, errm...no, sorry, not clear enough for me

Do you need to put the full file location in there? What does "simply printed to stderr" mean (not that I'm getting that far yet)?
If the file is in the same folder as the program then you do not need to supply the pathname but otherwise you will. To get it working I suggest you put everything in the same folder. Open up a cmd window and CD to the folder that contains everything. Don't worry about standard error. This is only important if you want to put the output in a file instead of send it to the screen. You can read about command line in our wiki if you need to brush up.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #15
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Thanks again Dale, but still no joy

I guess I'll give up on this until somebody writes a user-friendly version, or just do without that one book.