Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
ereader PDB format and cover page images

I have tons of TXT files that I have recently run though Calibre and downloaded cover pages and metadata for most of them and eliminated the extra CR at the end of each line.

The next step is to convert them to PDB format in anticipation for the purchase of a B&N Nook in December.

When I convert from TXT to PDB I have specified to use the sources cover image and even pointed it directly to the cover image, however wehn I add the resultant PDB file to the B&N eReader software the cover image is no where to be found.

What am I doing wrong?
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Have you tried NOT telling it to use the Source cover page (on the basis that TXT does not have a cover page). I do not normally generate PDB format (I normally want EPUB and LRF) but they come through with the cover page I have downloaded as long as do NOT tell Calibre to use the source cover page.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Yep, just tried it. The cover art goes generic. Just to make sure the eReader wasn't at fault I moved the PDB file to my desktop and then deleted it from Calibre and then re-imported it backinto Calibre, all the metadata is gone.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Setting the cover images is broken in all released versions. It was brought to my attention not very long ago and I have corrected it. It will work properly in 0.6.20 when it is released.

If metadata is missing when you import than that is a different issue. Could you open a ticket and attach converted file and the reimported file. Also include any non default conversion options you used.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
Rootman
Groupie

Let me make sure I understand the metadata before I submit a ticket.

I have the title, author, author sort, publisher and ISBN number in the metatdata table in Calbre for the TXT file. I EXPORT the TXT as PDB. When I read it in B&N eReader I see no metadata (or cover as stated above).

As a test I copied te TXT file with it's JPG coverpage to a safe place and then deleted the book from Calibre. I then RE-added the book from the PDB file and indeed there is no metadata.

Do I understand correctly that a file format like PDB should actually CARRY the metadata with it or am I confused?
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
I have the title, author, author sort, publisher and ISBN number in the metatdata table in Calbre for the TXT file. I EXPORT the TXT as PDB. When I read it in B&N eReader I see no metadata (or cover as stated above).

As a test I copied te TXT file with it's JPG coverpage to a safe place and then deleted the book from Calibre. I then RE-added the book from the PDB file and indeed there is no metadata.

Do I understand correctly that a file format like PDB should actually CARRY the metadata with it or am I confused?
In the PDB output section what do you have the format set as? Only the eReader format supports metadata. The default is PalmDoc which does not support images at all nor does it support metadata.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
Rootman
Groupie

Aha! That was it! I had it set to PalmDOC format as you suggested.

Now all I have to do is wait for the next release of Calibre and hope I can convert with the cover image intact.

Last edited by Rootman; 10-29-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Setting the cover images is broken in all released versions. It was brought to my attention not very long ago and I have corrected it. It will work properly in 0.6.20 when it is released.

If metadata is missing when you import than that is a different issue. Could you open a ticket and attach converted file and the reimported file. Also include any non default conversion options you used.
Covers now work with version 20.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
gilgomez
gilgomez began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thank you all from a novice (me!) that was hoping to import book cover images to the Nook. I have preordered the Nook and the possibility of importing the covers really is cool!
gilgomez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, nook cover images