Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Astabeth
Member who wants a reader
Astabeth began at the beginning.

Device: none
On trip forgot charger

I read where someone used a go charger & a samsung one but all I could find was a walmart one to fit Santo & audiovox. The plug fits but I am afraid to use it because I don't want to fry my kindle 1. Any suggestions?
Astabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
What you need is 5.0V ~2Amp with perhaps 1Amp being enough. If the charger you have says it is compatible with the Palm Tungsten E or Zire 31 or 72 or Sprint phones then it is almost certainly ok.

Since the socket seems to be the same as "most Sprint phones", you could try to find a Sprint charger.

Assuming it is 5V, my guess is that the charger you have is ok but that is only a guess. If you try it, I suggest unplugging it before the battery fully charges.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I believe (and someone should correct me if I'm wrong) that the micro-USB port that the Kindle 2 uses for charging is a standard for both the shape and the amount of power coming through it. So anything that uses the micro-USB charger is going to be just fine.

If you're talking about a Kindle 1, I think that uses a mini-USB not a micro-USB, though I don't know as much about that because I just have the K2.

You could also charge from a computer with a USB port by just getting a USB->micro-USB adapter, which might be cheaper, but would take longer to charge.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The mini-USB charging for the Kindle 1 is extremely slow; takes 24 hours. Better off using the power cord and the wall.

The micro-USB charging for the Kindle 2 is much fast (about 4 hours, compared to 2 if you plug it into the wall.)
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
sl33py
sl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with otherssl33py plays well with others

Device: K2i, K3, PW
i just got a used Kindle 1 for a friend. Cleaning it out and was trying to do the full factory reset (Alt-Shft-R, etc) - battery died.

No biggie i plugged in the mini-usb... no joy. I don't have the small circular charger, and didn't think i'd need it. So trying to find some way to charge this today so i can finish resetting this to re-gift it.

any ideas? The USB (mini usb) won't charge it at all. I've tried off the computer (PC and Mac), and with a mini usb wall charger for motorola phone - same = no amber charging light.

any ideas? Maybe a trip to grab a sprint phone charger? Any model you guys know works?

thanks - hope this isn't a total hijack!
sl33py is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl33py View Post
i just got a used Kindle 1 for a friend. Cleaning it out and was trying to do the full factory reset (Alt-Shft-R, etc) - battery died.

No biggie i plugged in the mini-usb... no joy. I don't have the small circular charger, and didn't think i'd need it. So trying to find some way to charge this today so i can finish resetting this to re-gift it.

any ideas? The USB (mini usb) won't charge it at all. I've tried off the computer (PC and Mac), and with a mini usb wall charger for motorola phone - same = no amber charging light.

any ideas? Maybe a trip to grab a sprint phone charger? Any model you guys know works?

thanks - hope this isn't a total hijack!
You don't have the wall charger?

I have a Palm Zire USB cable that will charge the Kindle 1 from a computer. I bought mine on eBay and I'm not sure if one could be purchased locally.

The only other thing I can think of is that Radio Shack was selling a compatible replacement battery at one time (not sure if they still are), they may have a wall charger that you can use. I've purchased replacement chargers from them in the past with good results. Take the K1 into the store and see what they say.

BTW, the K1 does not use the same USB cable as K2.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote