Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-28-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
mp3's and music

Not really related to ebooks and all that.

I am wanting to buy some mp3's but itunes has them priced at $1.29, I can get them cheaper at amazon, but I was wondering if there are any other places you guys can suggest to buy mp3's online, for reasonable prices. I have used my library to get some of the music I want, but some of the recent stuff just isn't there yet.

Idea's? Suggestions?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:40 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Legally, I think only those two currently offer DRM-free downloads of popular music.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 03:51 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't think iTunes sells MP3 files, does it? Their files are in "m4a" format, which I think is MPEG 4. Amazon is pretty good, if they have what you want. I must admit that I generally just buy the CD and "rip" it myself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:15 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't think iTunes sells MP3 files, does it? Their files are in "m4a" format, which I think is MPEG 4. Amazon is pretty good, if they have what you want. I must admit that I generally just buy the CD and "rip" it myself.

and that is acceptable 'fair use'.....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:30 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

... although currently (believe it or not) it's technically illegal in the UK, although it's one of those laws which is never enforced.
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 05:32 AM   #6
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... although currently (believe it or not) it's technically illegal in the UK, although it's one of those laws which is never enforced.
I thought there had been a court ruling on this, unless I'm dreaming .... (probably)
Old 06-28-2009, 05:38 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You may very well be right, Geoff!
Old 06-28-2009, 05:48 AM   #8
GeoffC

The U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act is much more strict and deems copying of copyrighted music (with the exception of making a copy for your own use) as illegal. The U.S. Code protects copyright owners from the unauthorized reproduction, adaptation or distribution of sound recordings, as well as certain digital performances to the public. In more general terms, it is considered legal for you to purchase a music CD and record (rip) it to MP3 files for your own use. Uploading these files via peer-to-peer networks would constitute a breach of the law.

(not noticed any U.K. equivalent).
Old 06-28-2009, 05:53 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I thought there had been a court ruling on this, unless I'm dreaming .... (probably)
There's been a recommendation that the law should be changed, but it's still illegal to make copies of CDs, even just for personal use.

Software for copying CDs isn't illegal, because there is no encryption on CDs. But it is illegal (in the US as well as the UK) to provide software to copy DVDs, since they are encrypted. That's why iTunes will RIP CDs but not DVDs.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:55 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I think, Geoff, that this is one of those situations where you have to use your own common sense. While it is technically illegal in the UK to rip a CD that you have personally bought for use on your own personal MP3 player, it is one of those situations that does nobody any conceivable harm, and, to the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever been prosecuted for doing it.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Not really related to ebooks and all that.

I am wanting to buy some mp3's but itunes has them priced at $1.29, I can get them cheaper at amazon, but I was wondering if there are any other places you guys can suggest to buy mp3's online, for reasonable prices. I have used my library to get some of the music I want, but some of the recent stuff just isn't there yet.

Idea's? Suggestions?

Amy
There is a site called eMusic which has a video on the front page that touts DRM-free downloads for 50 cents or less. I've never used them but I received a coupon for 50 free downloads with a trial membership, so I may give it a try.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Actually, it's AAC (likely in MP4 container). Most players support it nowadays, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
There is a site called eMusic which has a video on the front page that touts DRM-free downloads for 50 cents or less. I've never used them but I received a coupon for 50 free downloads with a trial membership, so I may give it a try.
Last I checked, they really didn't have much in the way of music selection.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote