Old 03-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
rubikscube99
Enthusiast
rubikscube99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle Login

hey
i dont live in the US but i am getting a kindle,
the work around is to make a US account and fund it with a non us account, simple procedure. Then i can download books through the media library and upload them to my kindle via USB, right?
ok now my major question is regarding the DRM issue, amazon wont let you read books that were NOT purchased on your account. How do i login on the kindle without having the wireless capability? so i can read my content
thankkkks!
rubikscube99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubikscube99 View Post
ok now my major question is regarding the DRM issue, amazon wont let you read books that were NOT purchased on your account. How do i login on the kindle without having the wireless capability? so i can read my content
thankkkks!
I don't know what you mean by this. Do you mean you can't read Kindle books that were bought by someone else? If so, that is true.

What content are you talking about that you want to read? Perhaps if you clarify that I can help. This is no way to "login on the kindle" without whispernet access.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Quote:
hey
i dont live in the US but i am getting a kindle,
the work around is to make a US account and fund it with a non us account, simple procedure. Then i can download books through the media library and upload them to my kindle via USB, right?
thankkkks!
You don't need to log in from the device...

Your device serial number will be registered with Amazon when you purchase them on your computer and download them from Amazon they'll already be set for your Kindle.
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
thankkkks!
Sure you can read books not purchased from Amazon. Click on the Kindle Myths and Partial Truths link in my sig and read Sections #4 and 5 (about what formats you can buy and how the Kindle still works without Whispernet).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
rubikscube99
Enthusiast

umm sorry i should have clarified what i meant:
My friend is bringing me a kindle from the US with his US kindle account. I do NOT live in the US. When he gives me the kindle:
- How do i deregister his account and put in my (US account) details without whispernet connectivity?
so that i can transfer via USB and read content bought via the kindle store on amazon.com?
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
My friend is bringing me a kindle from the US with his US kindle account. I do NOT live in the US. When he gives me the kindle:
- How do i deregister his account and put in my (US account) details without whispernet connectivity?
so that i can transfer via USB and read content bought via the kindle store on amazon.com?
There is a register a Kindle link in the Manage Kindle part of your account page.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Go to your Amazon Account, and under "manage your kindle" you'll find a link that says 'register your kindle"

Try it now and see if you have that option.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Are you sure this is going to work? You have to have a US based credit card to buy Kindle books, if I'm not mistaken.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Are you sure this is going to work? You have to have a US based credit card to buy Kindle books, if I'm not mistaken.

Not if he has GC's on his US account.....
Old 03-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Not if he has GC's on his US account.....
He said he was going to fund it with a non-us account, so I assumed he'd be using a non-us credit card.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:50 AM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
He has a US account.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
He has a US account.
I'm so confuzzled, *sigh*
Old 03-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'm so confuzzled, *sigh*
I believe he'll be buying gift cards with his non-US credit card (tied to a non-US Amazon account) and cashing them in with his US Amazon account to buy Kindle Books.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
I believe he'll be buying gift cards with his non-US credit card (tied to a non-US Amazon account) and cashing them in with his US Amazon account to buy Kindle Books.
Well, THAT makes it all clear!

Seriously, I have to admire the tenacity of those who want the Kindle out of the US.........Go people!
Old 03-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #15
rubikscube99
Enthusiast

lol...
yea! i really want a kindle (still planning to buy it), but this whole international issue is VERY annoying. I really should clarify me question:
I heard that the amazon content is DRM protected, so if i buy the content on my computer, download it, and transfer to my kindle- how will it be able to read it?? Because keep in mind that i have NO wireless connectivity with the kindle whatsoever, so even if i register it on amazon- will it know that it has been registered? and how will it read content purchased with my US amazon account? i dont get it, i can register my kindle on the computer, but isnt this a two way process? doesnt the kindle have to know that it has been registered? It has no wireless connectivity. I am NOT ordering with my amazon account, a friend is getting it for me and i am paying him back.
please help,
thanks