Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which eBook do you want the Book Club read for March?
The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death 6 12.24%
Against Intellectual Monopoly 2 4.08%
The Origin of Species 9 18.37%
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking 2 4.08%
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make A Big Difference 6 12.24%
The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary 13 26.53%
A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains 11 22.45%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Single votes however make it very easy to see how many people are voting.

And we need The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death to get more votes. That's the one that sounds the most fun to read out of all the choices.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, dividing by two isn't to hard. But, you ran the nominations this month, so I have no problem with only one vote. And seeing as there are 7 selections is not a problem.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #18
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:

And we need The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death to get more votes. That's the one that sounds the most fun to read out of all the choices.
It was a lot of fun. I think I'm going to pick up another one of her books.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok... finally made my decision and placed my vote.

BOb

"shhh... closed balot"
Old 02-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #20
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:

Personally, I think Professor and The Madman needs more votes
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 10:57 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm just hoping that the Rocky Mountain book does not win. it seems (IMHO) to be rather dull. And after reading A Passage to India, I'm not looking for any books that are going to be dull.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:48 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm just hoping that the Rocky Mountain book does not win. it seems (IMHO) to be rather dull. And after reading A Passage to India, I'm not looking for any books that are going to be dull.
Jon, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

BOb
Old 02-24-2009, 01:43 AM   #23
Nickfdr
Enthusiast
Nickfdr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Seeing as Origin of The Species is out, I say everyone go for professor and the madman
Nickfdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:51 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Jon, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

BOb
Sometimes that's all we have for judging a book.

But seriously, if it wins, I'm going to redo the LRF edition because of the footnotes. And I will give it a read and hope I am wrong out it being boring.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sometimes that's all we have for judging a book.
True... but ebooks don't have covers.

BOb
Old 02-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #26
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
I just finished it last night, and it isn't dull at all. However, given that I have just read it, I hope the 'Professor and the madman' could get a few more votes. It was on my reading list anyway

Last edited by Ea; 02-24-2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: typos
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #27
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I went for the Rocky Mountain book, sounds very interesting (although I could be totally wrong, which I often am).
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
True... but ebooks don't have covers.

BOb
Well some do and Simon & Schuster eBooks don't.

The last two Star Trek eBooks I have purchased have both come without a cover. I've had to add in the cover when I've converted to LRF.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #29
stevejay
Enthusiast
stevejay doesn't litterstevejay doesn't litterstevejay doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500 prs
Is anyone else of the opinion that Fiction can make better fodder for discussion than Nonfiction? Not always though of course, and there are some nice choices there. Technical or reference type books may be a bit of a downer, a book like Origin of Species will go for pages and pages to deliver the conclusion of a species deriving from a common ancestor.
stevejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #30
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejay View Post
Is anyone else of the opinion that Fiction can make better fodder for discussion than Nonfiction? Not always though of course, and there are some nice choices there. Technical or reference type books may be a bit of a downer, a book like Origin of Species will go for pages and pages to deliver the conclusion of a species deriving from a common ancestor.
I've only just started it, but have skimmed as well - I can assure you that The Origin of Species is very different from technical books. It's not a text book, but about exploration. It's written for an educated, general reader.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote