Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-18-2016, 12:00 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5y2SB View Post
When I started this thread, I had already watched countless review videos and what in hindsight amazes me is that those reviewers seemed to focus on points such as the quality of the screen (a valid point), but neglected the "closed" vs. "open" divide.
Probably because that divide can be expressed by simply mentioning which shop the device is attached to. And discussing it further in a video doesn't add anything. Showing how the device works, or compares to another is useful.

Oh, and a lot less people care about this than you think.
Quote:
What amazes me even more is that folks in Europe seem to be happy to pay twice for their e-books! They paid for them through their tax Euros (but are unable to actually read those books with their Kindles), so they pay Amazon to be able to read what is already "theirs". However, I believe in the US and Canada Amazon are seemingly more flexible when it comes to public libraries.
No, the choice is whether they want to use the public library, or buy a copy of their own. Yes, maybe some didn't realise they wouldn't be able to read books from the library on their Kindles, but my bet is that more people buy these devices to read books they buy, than books they borrow. Personally, use of public libraries was not a consideration at all when I bought my first ereader. Now, I'm OK with paying for a personal copy of a book rather than hoping the library has it available at the time I want to read it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5y2SB View Post
What amazes me even more is that folks in Europe seem to be happy to pay twice for their e-books! They paid for them through their tax Euros (but are unable to actually read those books with their Kindles), so they pay Amazon to be able to read what is already "theirs". However, I believe in the US and Canada Amazon are seemingly more flexible when it comes to public libraries.
Ummm.... I actually don't know of any Canadian public libraries that support Kindle ereaders other than the Android Kindles where you aren't locked to the Amazon formats.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
energy sistem, onyx, pocketbook, public library apps, tolino