Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you hoard ebooks for retirement?
Yes. I would have done (or do) so with paper books as well. 20 10.81%
Yes, but I would NOT have done so with paper books. 18 9.73%
No, not for retirement... but... uh... I hoard (e)books anyway. 113 61.08%
No, I don't hoard. Not ebooks, not paper books. 34 18.38%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2014, 03:27 AM   #61
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I don't hoard at all. I put a lot on my TBR list to keep track of all the good books I wan't to read. But if I buy, I read it immediately.
Retirement is loooooooong way from now, but I don't think that will change. I don't like to be in hoarder's environment (it feels suffocating) and prefer to keep my own environment in minimalist style. This is for things of physical nature. I don't think ebook hoarding is "true" hoarding.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:10 AM   #62
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
I remember the first time I looked around our local small town library (it was tiny but to me it was heaven after the one room school's "library" which was in a wardrobe that had six shelves added) and said to myself I wanted to read every book in it.

I collect ebooks. I used to buy a great number of used books (a bag or three of them at a time) as I tend to like to read all of a new to me author's works if I can get them. Thank goodness I don't need to have room for all those "physical" books with my digital collection.

I wonder how the online stores will handle ebook sales in the future. Paperbacks and hard cover books go out of print, will ebooks also go out of print? The format has not been around long enough to really see it happen yet but one has to wonder.

I would be so out of luck if there was no electricity though, I only have a very few physical books these days.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #63
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Call me crazy but if you're hoarding ebooks for retirement then wouldn't it be smarter to take that money and invest it and then when you retire buy all the books you want with the money you've saved and interest earned? As far as I know, ebooks sitting on your hard drive don't accumulate any interest.
It might be smarter for some, depending on a) when they are retiring, and b) the price of the book they're buying. In my case, no.

I'm retiring soonish. I buy full price books if I want to read them now, but only buy books for retirement if they're on a great sale. Otherwise, it pays to wait until a sale, or until the price drops, which is usually does, after a year or two.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:07 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
I wonder how the online stores will handle ebook sales in the future. Paperbacks and hard cover books go out of print, will ebooks also go out of print? The format has not been around long enough to really see it happen yet but one has to wonder.
Ebooks already do go out of print. Eg look for ebook editions of Ellis Peters' "Brother Cadfael" series today and you won't find them, but you could have bought them a couple of months ago. That's why, if I come across a book or a series which interests me, I buy it. If I don't, there's no guarantee it'll be available when I want to read it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #65
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ebooks already do go out of print. Eg look for ebook editions of Ellis Peters' "Brother Cadfael" series today and you won't find them, but you could have bought them a couple of months ago. That's why, if I come across a book or a series which interests me, I buy it. If I don't, there's no guarantee it'll be available when I want to read it.
Here, here HarryT. Cordwainer Smith was the same way. You could buy his complete works (in two volumes) a couple of years ago, now you can't.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #66
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've never been worried about having books to read in retirement. The books have always been there. In retrospect, now that I'm noticing a difference, I should have been more worried about being able to read tiny, tiny print.

However, in nods to posts by Katsunami and montalex, I also think that even with Alf etc., there are formats undreamed of, and that today's ebooks could easily seem like those shelves full of videotaped movies which now reside at the dump. And those books which were bought for retirement in an earlier format, which are crumbling away anyway even if I were willing to try to focus on the aforementioned tiny, tiny font, have joined them.

I don't see the point in buying for more than ten years out, and even that's a long time. I figure that by then, ebooks will still be readable, but will have been superceded by something even better.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I don't see the point in buying for more than ten years out, and even that's a long time. I figure that by then, ebooks will still be readable, but will have been superceded by something even better.
I'm currently reading ebooks that I bought in 2000, so a 10 year plus lifetime is definitely feasible.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #68
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
However, in nods to posts by Katsunami and montalex, I also think that even with Alf etc., there are formats undreamed of, and that today's ebooks could easily seem like those shelves full of videotaped movies which now reside at the dump.

I actually can't think of anything better, except for improving the reading experience itself, by more customization options, such as a front-light you can set from white all the way to yellow. (Maybe even by Kelvin scale, like a computer monitor.)

Personally I don't consider things such as animations, video's, sounds and smells in e-books an improvement. In that case it's not a book anymore. It becomes multimedia, and a tablet can already do that if needed.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #69
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Same with the Elswyth Thane Williamsburg series. I was able to buy the first two on Amazon, and was waiting for the publisher to bring out more. Not only were there no more, the first two are no longer available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Here, here HarryT. Cordwainer Smith was the same way. You could buy his complete works (in two volumes) a couple of years ago, now you can't.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Same with the Elswyth Thane Williamsburg series. I was able to buy the first two on Amazon, and was waiting for the publisher to bring out more. Not only were there no more, the first two are no longer available.
There are seven shown as being available on Amazon UK, if that's of any interest. Pretty cheap, too - two priced at 79p and the other five at £2.39.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #71
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I buy books because I want to read them, and I have a hard time passing up good sales. So my TBR list continues to grow, and I can't read that fast. I don't consider it hoarding. The same was true for me with the discount tables of paperbacks when Borders was around. I used to stop by Borders every Friday afternoon for a coffee and book browse on my commute home as a relaxing transition from the hectic work-week into the weekend. I have no desire to do that with B&N since their setup is less appealing. It's even more irresistible to pass up a good deal with ebooks since you don't need space in boxes and on bookshelves to store them. However, I am now more discriminatory than I used to be. I ignore most of the freebies. I only buy books that I really want and plan to read in the future. If I find a book that looks interesting but isn't on sale, then I wishlist it for future reference.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #72
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I look forward to having more time to read after retirement. By that time, I will probably have accumulated so many books, I'm not sure it will make a dent in the TBR anyway. I don't purposefully "hoard" them for retirement. Mostly if I see a good deal, I like to snap it up. I read most of my books from the library so I don't fear not having enough income to buy books.

My father, a life-long reader, developed Alzheimer's a few years after retirement. After a while, he was unable to follow plot and character names in books well enough to enjoy them. Remember that episode of the Twilight Zone, with the guy who just wanted to be alone with his books, and when he finally is, he breaks his glasses???

I also love to travel, never have the time, and I really hope I have the means and the health to travel in my retirement.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #73
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I buy books because I want to read them, and I have a hard time passing up good sales. So my TBR list continues to grow, and I can't read that fast.
I know the feeling. I buy the ones that are offered as freebee's because you never know when you might want something different to read and it's not like they take up shelf space. lol. So I have a very large library of ebooks mostly via Amazon and Smashwords that I may never reach the end of.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #74
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
However, in nods to posts by Katsunami and montalex, I also think that even with Alf etc., there are formats undreamed of, and that today's ebooks could easily seem like those shelves full of videotaped movies which now reside at the dump. And those books which were bought for retirement in an earlier format, which are crumbling away anyway even if I were willing to try to focus on the aforementioned tiny, tiny font, have joined them.
Epub, unlike videotapes or print, is in a very readily convertable format already, which makes it a fair bit more future-proof. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that The Next Format, when it comes along, will have tools available to convert my current epubs into it as a batch without any particular trouble.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:35 PM   #75
forcheville
Zealot
forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs650, Boox M92, Samsung Slate 7
I'm hoarding ebooks against the day when DRM (+CrimeStop) is empowered to reach into your brain.
forcheville is offline   Reply With Quote