Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2014, 03:56 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
User experience: KPV Booklet vs KUAL?

I've been considering an option to allow me to read epub books on my Kindle without prior conversion. I think KOReader looks like the best solution, though I'm not sure which launcher I'd rather use. Unfortunately the documentation seems more focused on HOW that WHAT (especially for KPV booklet), so I can't really get a good feel for the usability.

It appears (with much inference) that the KPV Booklet launcher creates a book entry in the Kindle homepage for each epub file that is an active app launcher that launches KoReader in the epub file that it represents, basically creating what appears to be an integrated experience. Is this correct, or am I completely off base? Does anybody have a YouTube video of this? [I can't seem to find one]

KUAL seems to require me to launch KUAL and then go through a few navigation steps. Correct?

Which gives the most seamless and integrated feel?

Also... should I be considering a different reader program if I want seamless? Maybe Duokan would be more seamless?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twowheels: Yup, go with KPV if you want a seamless integration. (Although I have no idea how book metadata is handled and presented on the Homescreen in that case, you'd have to ask chrox or see for yourself).

That said, I have no idea if KPV Booklet handles KPV and legacy devices. chrox? IIRC, it's K5 & KOReader only.

KUAL is a simple launcher, meaning you'll rely on KOReader's internal filemanager, whose motto is KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid), so don't expect anything fancy (namely, no metadata support, so I'd recommend a strict naming scheme).

Duokan is evil and I'll just pretend I didn't hear you.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-29-2014 at 04:23 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
That said, I have no idea if KPV Booklet handles KPV and legacy devices. chrox? IIRC, it's K5 & KOReader only.
I should have clarified. We use a variety of devices, but I'm looking into a solution for the PW1.

Quote:
KUAL is a simple launcher, meaning you'll rely on KOReader's internal filemanager, whose motto is KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid), so don't expect anything fancy (namely, no metadata support, so I'd recommend a strict naming scheme).
Ah, so all it does it launch KOReader? Is there an "even simpler launcher" that just gives me a "book cover" type icon to just launch KOReader and that's it? That would work for me. Maybe that's what KVP launcher actually does?

Quote:
Duokan is evil and I'll just pretend I didn't hear you.
At one time everybody seemed really excited about it. What happened? I've not been following along too closely. :-)
Old 07-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@twowheels:

With KPVBooklet, you get books on the Homescreen (I think? ).
With KUAL, you get KOReaer's file manager or your last opened document in 3 clicks (KUAL > KOReader > Start KOReader).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-29-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
There is also Kindle Menu (K5 only).
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@eureka: Ah! Thanks, forgot there was a KOReader entry there .
Old 07-30-2014, 03:13 AM   #7
chrox
Zealot
chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 KPW PB840
@twowheels The KPVBooklet has a more seamless way to integrate Koreader into the native system, that's to say tapping on the EPUB title on the homescreen will open that document with Koreader just like the native MOBI reader opening a mobi document. It does it not by mimicking the native MOBI reader with an active app but by really registering Koreader as an EPUB document handler. Source code of KPVBooklet can be found here. And there is also a screenshot of the homescreen on KPW with KPVBooklet here.
chrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@chrox: Ha, missed the screenshots, thanks .
Old 07-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
twowheels
Wizard

Thanks @chrox, that looks like exactly what I wanted. I think I'll give it a try.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #10
twowheels
Wizard

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and installed KOReader with KPV Launcher and it works exactly as I hoped -- completely seamless.

I initially installed the stable version and was very unhappy with the ghosting and was close to uninstalling it, but decided to try the nightly. Wow, what an improvement! I set it to every screen refresh (which is what I use for the native reader too) and it works great now! Thanks!

Another quick question... can one safely install both KUAL and KPV at the same time? Is there any negative to that? I'd like to try them both.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@twowheels: Of course, they're completely orthogonal .

The ghosting comment is fairly interesting, because the improvements were mostly aimed at the PW2. The impact on the Touch and PW1 exists (it more closely matches what the stock reader does), but on those devices, it shouldn't be drastically different from what the stable version did.

... except if you used the 'flash on every page' setting from the start, in which case, yeah, if you turn pages like a madman, the flash would not necessarily have been as helpful as expected.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-30-2014 at 05:19 PM.