Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
John123
Connoisseur
John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Samsung Note, Kindle, hudl2
InDesign help forums

Hi all,

First off, please don't bite my head off and say OMG why here!

"Why here?" - trust; the wise among you have helped me enormously over my pain in getting to where I am producing Ebooks on Sigil. For that I thank you all very much.

I am bringing myself squarely into the 21st century by ditching my trusty old typesetting software of 25 years and heading off down the InDesign road. The reason being this software has a hardware dongle which is no longer supported.

Okay, after this boring preamble, my question is: do any of you have any views on the best Forum (like this one), for InDesign queries? Bear in mind I will be back on here asking InDesign/Sigil queries

Many thanks in advance,

John.
John123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Well, you could drop down to the 'Suggestions' forum and 'suggest'
1) an in-design forum .
or
2)An 'Other book Design/Edit software' forum.

#2 could be split up as traffic builds.

Only Greenie Moderators can make forum structure decisions.

IMHO For now, ask here if you have post-indesign EDIT questions. Ask in Calibre for post-indesign->conversion issues
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Instead of InDesign a better choice if you are just now purchasing would be framemaker which include RoboHelp. RoboHelp is reported to make clean customized ePub and the latest can create ePub 3 as well.

Most InDesign threads are in the ePub forum. I suspect most users watch both of these forums but ePub is likely to be more on topic and there are already quite a few threads there.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Direct conversion from InDesign to eBook only work well if you restrict yourself to such a basic subset of InDesign's possibilities that it's hardly worth using InDesign at all! If you're producing books from scratch', there's a lot to be said for using InDesign for the printed version, pouring the raw text directly into Sigil for the eBook.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote