Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #16
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Mine's been intermittently doing this since after the very first update back in November, but I had always figured it was because I'm rooted.

Didn't realize it was happening to others as well.

Weird/interesting...
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
I have this happen once in a while and have noticed it since the 6.2.1 update came out. Sometimes when this happens if I go into apps, the bookshelves are blank unless I change the sort order.

I thought it was related to some app I loaded - maybe sucking up too much RAM for the carousel or something. Doesn't matter much since I never expect to find anything in particular in the carousel.
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #18
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Mine went back to showing the apps in the carousek after doing a hold power down 30 seconds shutdown / reboot.
Strange.
runs faster now.
a good idea to do a major reboot every 2 weeks
Cleans up the residual junk
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #19
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I know I do not have that many apps or books and news print on my fire but my fire shows them all and has never just shown just the books.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #20
Ramer84015
Ramer84015 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Happens to me as well. I find that if I click on the "App" button at the top and then click "Home" they re-populate.
Ramer84015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #21
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Its back to no apps in the carousel
gotta be a bug

Just tried the Apps / Home trick and they are back now!

Last edited by salsaguy; 01-27-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #22
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

If someone figures out how to keep the "bug" in place so I don't have to repeatedly clean out the carousel of apps that I have run, please post the solution. It seems to me that the "bug" in which the carousel actually represents things you might want to return to on a frequent basis, like a book you're reading, is far better than putting in your face the last thing you did and are now finished doing.

P.S. I'm very fond of the KF. But I find the carousel to be a constant source of annoyance.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #23
salsaguy
Addict

Do you think they switched the logic in the code to use frequency of use to select what goes in the carousel? If so that wouldn't make sense with this "bug" since i use apps a lot more than read books or listen to music
Old 02-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #24
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
Do you think they switched the logic in the code to use frequency of use to select what goes in the carousel? If so that wouldn't make sense with this "bug" since i use apps a lot more than read books or listen to music
No, I don't think they did anything like that.

I noticed if I use Gemini App manager's '1-click optimize' (which basically kills off all your background apps to free up memory, which should not really be needed but that's not the point) all the stuff in my carousel shows up again. So it really seems to me to be a memory related bug in the launcher.
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #25
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduck View Post
No, I don't think they did anything like that.

I noticed if I use Gemini App manager's '1-click optimize' (which basically kills off all your background apps to free up memory, which should not really be needed but that's not the point) all the stuff in my carousel shows up again. So it really seems to me to be a memory related bug in the launcher.
Good guess. Now if I can figure out how to fake out Android memory management to overwhelm the OS, I can get rid of the unwanted apps on the Carousel.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #26
jsh1120
Connoisseur

Well, I'm sure if I'd never read this thread it would never have happened to me but as luck would have it, it did today. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with a "dimmer" app I installed that is running in the background earlier in the day.

As noted above, I think it's a memory overload issue of some sort. Rebooting eliminated the behavior.

Anyone else who has experienced running an app to control screen dimming? I'm suspecting that an app running in background may be the culprit (or hero depending on how attached you are to the overpopulated carousel.)
Old 02-05-2012, 01:59 AM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
Well, I'm sure if I'd never read this thread it would never have happened to me but as luck would have it, it did today. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with a "dimmer" app I installed that is running in the background earlier in the day.

As noted above, I think it's a memory overload issue of some sort. Rebooting eliminated the behavior.

Anyone else who has experienced running an app to control screen dimming? I'm suspecting that an app running in background may be the culprit (or hero depending on how attached you are to the overpopulated carousel.)
I use Screen Dimm all the time. Never had this bug happen.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #28
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Mine has done it 5 or 6 times since the latest update. However, if I hit Apps and then Home it repopulates immediately.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #29
jsh1120
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I use Screen Dimm all the time. Never had this bug happen.
Thanks for the info, Blossom. Obviously, this is not a major problem since it's easily resolved by selecting apps or rebooting. It's almost certainly a RAM issue; I'm just curious about what might trigger it reliably. I suspect it's a combination of background apps.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
Thanks for the info, Blossom. Obviously, this is not a major problem since it's easily resolved by selecting apps or rebooting. It's almost certainly a RAM issue; I'm just curious about what might trigger it reliably. I suspect it's a combination of background apps.
It seems to be the shelf isn't refreshing correctly. I don't have much at all installed on my replacement fire. My first one I used it for everything, my replacement I use for reading. I don't even have my email set up yet. My guess is there could be an app running the background that may be causing it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote