Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 03:46 AM   #1
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite3
Transferring books from Kobo to T1

I am trying to get some ebooks from Kobo. Once paid for, the books end up in "My Library" at Kobo.com. How do I download them onto my Computer, so that I can Import them to the "Reader for PC" and then transfer them to the T1.?
This is my first eReader and am still finding my way.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Edit : oops, i just saw that you had the reader app already installed. What about digital editions ?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154200

Before anything, you need create an adobe account, authorized the T1 with it, and use ADE (after authorizing it to that account) to get the book. If ade is installed, the reader app will get the info from the ADE installation. If not, i have no clue.

First, if you havn't already, install Adobe digital editions.
http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

Then, create an adobe account (if you don't have one), and authorize digital edition with it.

Get the sony reader app and install it.
http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/

Plug T1 to PC, start Sony reader, authorize T1.

There should be a "download" link on the kobo web site. That should get a ".ascm" file.
Download it (using save as) .
Right clic on the .ascm file, open with / digital edition (Not the sony app).
Then, copy past to get the book on the reader.

And finally, read

Last edited by EowynCarter; 10-28-2011 at 04:16 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
On the T1 I buy the books at Kobo on my reader with the wireless turned on. After I've paid the books start to automatically download to my reader and Bob's your uncle!
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvduchovny View Post
On the T1 I buy the books at Kobo on my reader with the wireless turned on. After I've paid the books start to automatically download to my reader and Bob's your uncle!
What he said. Once your T1 is authorized, you can just download over wifi.

Pretty cool, huh?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Just beware, with DRM books tree times download limit !
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Just beware, with DRM books tree times download limit !
I'm sorry, what?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvduchovny View Post
Thanks. I guess that is one way to do it. On this occasion I purchased via my Desktop which is easier to use. Downloaded them ok. Kobo then puts them into "My Library" on their site. There must be some way to then put them from there into the T1.
I asked Kobo, but as I am using a T1 I guess they aren't interested as I didn't get a reply.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
DBrook
DBrook began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I'm having similar problems. Just got the Sony T1. I downloaded a free book from Kobo. I don't see a download link button to download it to my PC. I tried going to the Kobo store on the ereader with wifi turned on but it dowsn't seem to let me login. I can't see my Library where the book is sitting.

I'm new to this so any help would be appreciated.
DBrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
Nicko
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrook View Post
I'm having similar problems. Just got the Sony T1. I downloaded a free book from Kobo. I don't see a download link button to download it to my PC. I tried going to the Kobo store on the ereader with wifi turned on but it dowsn't seem to let me login. I can't see my Library where the book is sitting.

I'm new to this so any help would be appreciated.
If you go Kobo.com you will see along the top right: Help English MY LIBRARY etc. If you click on MY LIBRARY it should show the Book you downloaded. I presume you hit the BUY button and Registered. Although your book was Free you still have to go through the BUY procedure. If my memory is serving me correctly. Bear in mind I am also new to this and there a plenty of people on the Forum who should be able to help.?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
DBrook

I did buy it and it is in My Library. I just kind find a way to download it to my T1 or to my PC
Old 10-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I did buy it and it is in My Library. I just kind find a way to download it to my T1 or to my PC
In "My Library" at the Kobo web site there should be a button to the right of each ebook that says "ADOBE DRM EPUB". Click on this to download an .acsm file, which is a ticket to exchage with Adobe for the actual .epub ebook. For the T1 via a PC, you probably want to open the .acsm file in Sony's Reader app for the PC. Your web browser may already have a default program to open on ACSM files, either Sony Reader or Adobe Digital Editions. This same approach may work in the T1 via its web browser, i.e. it will download the .ascm file and exchange it for the associated .epub from Adobe if you select the "ADOBE DRM EPUB" button.

Some free (and a few not-free) ebooks at Kobo may only come with a KEPUB version, which is Kobo's super-secret private format that only works with their apps. Avoid all such ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #12
Nicko
Groupie

Thanks. I have 10 books in My Library. Three have the ADOBE DRM EPUB beside them and one just has DOWNLOAD. Have transferred these to the T1 ok. The others do not have anything next to them, I wonder why.? Not too worried about them as all of these are just for practice to make sure I know what I am doing before BUYING books. Will watch for KEPUB.
(I like your Avatar. I read it straight away, and it is a LONG time since I read tapes. I used to be able to read them going through the transmitter but don't think I would be fast enough these days.)
Old 10-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #13
DBrook

Thanks. That helps. It's a free book and I'm guessing that it must be a KEPUB because there is no button beside the book as you described. How can I tell which books are KEPUB?
Old 10-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #14
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
If you don't see the ADOBE DRM EPUB link then I believe that book will only work on the Kobo device. As said earlier, avoid those. Most of the KEPUB only versions are free books. I've never purchased one that I could not download to ADE and move to my device. Of course now I just use the T1 to make the purchases right on the device. That's the best way to go and it is very easy as khalleron said earlier.

EDIT: The books should see in the description - Download Options - usually at the bottom ADOBE DRM EPUB.

Last edited by jersysman; 10-28-2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to add how to see which are ADOBE DRM EPUB
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
How can I tell which books are KEPUB?
Look for the absence of
Quote:
Download options: Adobe DRM EPUB
Of the top 20 free downloads, the first 15 currently have ePubs but the next 5 do not (some Guttenberg, some not).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote