Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
eReaders doing Tax Returns-

TurboTax offers free tax filing on Android tablets this weekend only
30 March 2012 by Michael Crider

http://androidcommunity.com/turbotax...only-20120330/

This brings up a good question. Who uses their Android Tablet or Apple TAblet or PC Tablet eReader to do that thing we all must do on occasion which is called "REAL WORK" like your 2011 Tax Return?

Anyone?

Let us know if you avail yourself of this offer and how it went.

Please don't miss the "THIS WEEKEND ONLY!"

Last edited by frahse; 03-31-2012 at 06:51 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A tablet is not a reader. It's a multifunction device that can function as a reader if there is a suitable app installed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Eek! I have the android tablet but it seems like more trouble than it is worth. How to do the carry-over etc. from my PC. Haven't actually filed yet but it is all done.

Maybe next year. Suspect that if I did not have complicated taxes I would rather just telefile rather than tablet-file.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A tablet is not a reader. It's a multifunction device that can function as a reader if there is a suitable app installed.
If it can function as a reader it is a reader. Not a dedicated single-purpose reader but still a reader. If you cannot read on it is is not a reader.

Helen

Of course you can read web pages on all tablets that I know of. I should have said ereader and so should you.

Last edited by speakingtohe; 03-31-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: postscript
Old 03-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't call reading devices ereaders because that is an incorrect term. eReader is an old eBook format or the name of the software used to view eReader format eBooks.

I call the dedicated devices readers and the apps are reading apps.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
If it can function as a reader it is a reader. Not a dedicated single-purpose reader but still a reader. If you cannot read on it is is not a reader.

Helen

Of course you can read web pages on all tablets that I know of. I should have said ereader and so should you.

A tablet can be a reader but a reader can't be a tablet. I believe JS Wolf's point was that the OP's thread title is eReaders Doing Tax Returns then went on to post about tablets doing so. Hence the statement a tablet isn't a reader. The fact that you can read on a tablet is irrelevant to the topic.

It's extremely doubtful to me that you can use an ereader, rooted or not, to file your taxes the way you could on a tablet.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't call reading devices ereaders because that is an incorrect term. eReader is an old eBook format or the name of the software used to view eReader format eBooks.

I call the dedicated devices readers and the apps are reading apps.
Hmmm.. I call myself a reader and the device an ebook reader and could be I am wrong there. Maybe it should be digital character translater or something more esoteric.

I don't see your terminology as correct either though. Can you supply outside references for your choice of terminology? Did frahse violate an established terminology in such a way that he deserved a good reprimand. I plead ignorance in these matters and actually would like to know.

Helen
Old 03-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Now that I've got an Airprint printer, I'm going all in with my iPad as far as my primary computing device. Come next year, if I can do my taxes on it, I will. The one thing I don't do on it though, is read books. My KT is much better suited for that. Of course, I do read magazines on it. Magazines look beautiful on the retina screen.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
A tablet can be a reader but a reader can't be a tablet. I believe JS Wolf's point was that the OP's thread title is eReaders Doing Tax Returns then went on to post about tablets doing so. Hence the statement a tablet isn't a reader. The fact that you can read on a tablet is irrelevant to the topic.

It's extremely doubtful to me that you can use an ereader, rooted or not, to file your taxes the way you could on a tablet.
Murky area there. Is a rooted nook etc. a tablet and many people have argued that they are. And I have no idea whether an ereader can do a tax return.

I don't think that was JS wolf's point at all but who knows for sure.
Quote:
A tablet is not a reader. It's a multifunction device that can function as a reader if there is a suitable app installed
Just says a tablet is not a reader. And he is right by most definitions of readers although some tablet apps read books aloud which could be contrued as reading. I do not see anything in his post about ereaders doing tax returns and I am not privy to his innermost thoughts.

Helen
Old 04-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Murky area there. Is a rooted nook etc. a tablet and many people have argued that they are. And I have no idea whether an ereader can do a tax return.

I don't think that was JS wolf's point at all but who knows for sure.

Just says a tablet is not a reader. And he is right by most definitions of readers although some tablet apps read books aloud which could be contrued as reading. I do not see anything in his post about ereaders doing tax returns and I am not privy to his innermost thoughts.

Helen
The intent was there, and the actual inference was made "Who uses their Android Tablet or Apple TAblet or PC Tablet eReader" but still I see the confusion.

Actually implicit in my statement is the thought that eReaders have evolved. For example I could easily state that the older calculators and computing machines are not much like our current calculators and computers.

The same thing for the old eReaders and the new Fire, iPad, Sony, Kobo, etc. with whatever applications or modifications you wish.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I don't know what you're all going on about ! Open yer eyes, for heaven's sake....

Frahse has contravened every MR code going, surely, hasn't he ?

Where's the Mod's when we need 'em ???

He/she mentioned "TAX" !!!!

Madness, madness .........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
frahse
occasional author

Did anyone try out the tax program?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
When I saw the title of this thread, my initial thought was of an eink screen device like a Nook, Kindle or Sony ereader.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote