Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 05:02 AM   #16
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Attaching a hand strap with tiny screws into the speaker grille is a horrible idea and it won't be secure at all. The Kindle back plastic is soft and the screws will rip out the first time you use this hand strap. Pulling out the screws will mean the Kindle plastic will be damaged.

Your Kindle warranty will be void because of these changes. The sound quality of the speakers will be greatly affected by having a hand strap covering the speaker grilles.

If you really want a hand strap then find a case with one or modify a case to have one. I don't see anybody buying a kit which would require you to void the warranty, glue directly to the Kindle and screw directly into the back.

The Kindle isn't designed for one handed operation anyway. You might be able to get a position where you can click the prev/next buttons but you've got no way to use the keyboard or 5 way pad.
i have used it one handed.it is awkward but can be done.if the bezel was smaller/removed it would be more comfortable but the page turn buttons are in the way.

you forgot i also would add superglue for extra strength and strap will not fully cover the grilles.

ALTERNATIVELY a transparent at the front plastic wallet which is open at the bottom could be used and the hand inserted from below.thus the kindle will be a extension of your hand.Like a tennis racket.

you could even use it for swatting fillies.

plastic wallets will make your hands sweaty.

a sideways open wallet could also be used but the other side of the wallet should be cut of to allow your hand to poke thru.

another method is to open the back case of the kindle and thread 3 or 4 very thin child shoe laces so that it resembles a strapy dress at the back.

or very thin black cable ties which are very strong could be threaded through the back.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:26 AM   #17
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
another method is to open the back case of the kindle and thread 3 or 4 very thin child shoe laces so that it resembles a strapy dress at the back.
This is what you need to get full functionality in conjunction with your great idea:

Spoiler:

(For those with sensitive stomachs: don't view whilst eating)

All I ask is that we split the profits 50 / 50 when our machines swing into full production. PM me if you're interested.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #18
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
This general idea isn't completely out to lunch. I was wishing for a wrist safety leash (like a snapshot camera or cell phone) the other day. I actually looked to see if there were any available that fit into the upper case slot. Didn't find any.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #19
a042349
a042349 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.a042349 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.a042349 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.a042349 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.a042349 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Dude, you really need to spend more time reading and less time dreaming up stupid ideas, and even less time sharing those stupid ideas with us. If you want a Kindle buy one and might I suggest you use it for the purpose it was designed--READING! The Kindle is not a Swiss Army Knife with an eInk screen. Reading on your Kindle, what a novel idea (pun intended).
Now I'm new to this board, but not tech/geek forums by a long shot, but I have to say this is one of the rudest responses, to a reasonably good thought, that I've seen in a while.

Why doesn't jswinden stop criticizing other people's ideas for making READING his Kindle easier for himself and/or others!

There's only one stupid thing in this thread, and it's not the OP's idea.
a042349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by a042349 View Post
Why doesn't jswinden stop criticizing other people's ideas for making READING his Kindle easier for himself and/or others!
Perhaps you should read @vugtitan's other posts. He has a nack for stupid ideas. I criticize what I think is stupid or wrong, and this idea would not only void your warranty, it would probably result in the reader ripping loose from the strap and being damaged or destroyed. Obviously with as much karma as I have assigned, many people think I actually help out around here.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #21
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
I read in engadget that you can drill a hole in e-ink screens... provided that you put some silicon around it to prevent the e-ink from leaking....
with that in mind, I think a better idea is to drill a 3/4-inch hole in the bottom left corner* of the screen to put your thumb through it and hold it like a painter palette
alternatively, you can drill the whole in the keyboard area, but then you wouldn't be able to compose coherent tweets with your kindle, rendering it completely useless

* or bottom right corner, depending on what hand you use to hold your ereader
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #22
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a042349 View Post
Now I'm new to this board, but not tech/geek forums by a long shot, but I have to say this is one of the rudest responses, to a reasonably good thought, that I've seen in a while.

There's only one stupid thing in this thread, and it's not the OP's idea.

Thank you for forward thinking broad mindedness.

If you don't want to drill holes, etc then a very simple solution is to a get a reasonable strong elastic band and loop one end over the top right hand corner and the other end over the bottom left corner at the back and hey presto! you have a simple stick to your palm kindle answer with no tension or fear holding it.

i have tried this and it works.

you can also twist the elastic band in the middle for extra tightness in the band options and also use uhu glue under the elastic band corners.uhu glue is very safe and easy to peel off without damage unlike superglue.

you simply slip your hand between the elastic band on the back and the kindle and you have no fear of it falling.left handed person can use the opposite corners.

it really ,really works and i urge everyone try it.

i wish i could post a picture some how.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

You take him seriously?
I do. Read his other posts. He is like a kid who had grandiose ideas but always managed to blow himself to smithereens (sp?) in the high school chemistry lab. Big ideas but little sense!
Old 09-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #24
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
...Big ideas but little sense!
Hey, isn't what they said about Einstein while he was working in that patent office?

Seriously, vugtitan, don't ever listen to anyone who says your ideas are stupid. You never know when one of them is a diamond in the rough and will end up making you rich and famous!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #25
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Velcro
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #26
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Hey, isn't what they said about Einstein while he was working in that patent office?
Einstein didn't want to use a Kindle as a knife stab shield, incorrectly wired solar charger aka fire hazard, very fragile hand strap or a WiFi access point if WW3 destroyed the world and I'm sure other usages I didn't see.

Whilst most of Vugtitan's ideas have been a tad bizarre and impractical, the hand strap one does have some merit but his specific idea of how to implement it could be significantly improved. Like his current idea of using an elasticated band of some kind to hook around diagonally opposing corners of the Kindle. Using a case that does that for you already would be significantly more secure and you could carefully sew on a large handstrap to the back of the case without damaging the Kindle.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #27
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Einstein didn't want to use a Kindle as a knife stab shield, incorrectly wired solar charger aka fire hazard, very fragile hand strap or a WiFi access point if WW3 destroyed the world and I'm sure other usages I didn't see.

Whilst most of Vugtitan's ideas have been a tad bizarre and impractical, the hand strap one does have some merit but his specific idea of how to implement it could be significantly improved. Like his current idea of using an elasticated band of some kind to hook around diagonally opposing corners of the Kindle. Using a case that does that for you already would be significantly more secure and you could carefully sew on a large handstrap to the back of the case without damaging the Kindle.
Fact is many people lives have been saved by watches,diaries,books,medals,coins and medallions which have saved them from a bullet or being stabbed.

Why do you mercilessly attack me? Who are you working for?

Have you not an ounce of decency?

Wherever I go there you are.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #28
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Fact is many people lives have been saved by watches,diaries,books,medals,coins and medallions which have saved them from a bullet or being stabbed.
It is impractical to use a Kindle as any kind of shield considering it is very small and the components inside aren't particularly strong. Whilst many items may give you some measure of protection in certain situations, it is a fallacy to assume it will even work or rely on it to save your life.

If you're that worried about it then purchase and wear a stab proof vest which will actually give you nearly full torso protection which will work unlike the Kindle which will only give marginal at most protection for a very small area.

Quote:
Why do you mercilessly attack me? Who are you working for?

Have you not an ounce of decency?
I've replied on exactly the topics you've talked about and even tried to answer your questions. If you don't want criticism of your ideas then don't post them on a public forum.

Quote:
Wherever I go there you are.
I'm on the MobileRead Kindle forum and so are you.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #29
jswinden
Nameless Being

Vugtitan is either a kid, an immature adult, or he just loves to troll around. I bet he never even purchased a K3.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #30
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

What's going on here, folks? Is it a bad case of the Bieber fever? As a global moderator with associated privileges across all categories I'm closing this thread with immediate effect. I can only see it going downhill from here.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amputee, rubbery, sexy, slippery, strap, stupid ideas