Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #91
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
Modified the line spacing values, disabled the H/F height modifications, and commented out the wi-fi hack. The patch works wonderfully. Having finer control over font size, better increments of margins, and having the advanced font control available for all my fonts is absolutely fantastic. Making it a patch should mean that barring any major changes from Kobo, everything should work with subsequent updates -- although always wait for compatibility tests with new versions of the firmware. Although thanks to this, the stability of 2.8.1, and the better-ification of the KoboTouchExtended driver, I'm not sure I'll ever update again. I'll need convincing

If you can pass our thanks along in Russian, that'd be fantastic. This is really great work.
Heh, that's pretty much the same things I did. I left stock footer & wifi settings and modified line height and font sizes. I'll certainly pass on the thanks.

The patch should work as long as the libnickel file stays the same. If it changes, all bets are off.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #92
babadockia
Zealot
babadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kobo aura hd, trekstor pyrus maxi with texet 138 firmware
my deepest appreciation for all your replies. thank you all guys, you're all magnificent
babadockia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #93
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Bravo! What a fantastic and generous piece of work by Metazoa on the Russian forum!

The KoboAura/calibre combo is hard to beat.

jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #94
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
2.8.1 with Metazoas patch is pretty much perfect for me, it's basicly fullscreen readingmode for epubs.
Might be a good idea to split the part of this thread that talks about the mod into a new thread and move it into the dev forum.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #95
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've already added this into the Dev Sticky post on hacks and patches.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #96
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I've got the feeling this is a daft question, but I could not find the answer in the previous messages: does the patch apply to the EPUB renderer only, or are the various customizations available in the Kepub viewer, too?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #97
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I've got the feeling this is a daft question, but I could not find the answer in the previous messages: does the patch apply to the EPUB renderer only, or are the various customizations available in the Kepub viewer, too?
Playing with the 2.8.1 flavour of the patch, it applies to both epub variants and to a vanilla .mobi file I used for testing.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #98
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
5. Run kpg.exe (preferably in the console) and wait for it to finish.
Now I'm feeling stupid (it's too early in the morning for me...)... can I do this with OS X?

The patch sounds amazing.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #99
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It's windows only....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #100
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Well, bother. I thought that when I saw the .exe, but couldn't see it specified/discussed. Looking at the instructions though, I don't suppose a kind person could run the relevant app for me (the only thing I don't want is wifi insomnia) and offer me the resulting KoboRoot.tgz? I've a Glo on 2.8.1.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #101
JonnyXDA
Android Developer
JonnyXDA can eat soup with a fork.JonnyXDA can eat soup with a fork.JonnyXDA can eat soup with a fork.JonnyXDA can eat soup with a fork.JonnyXDA can eat soup with a fork.JonnyXDA can eat soup with a fork.JonnyXDA can eat soup with a fork.JonnyXDA can eat soup with a fork.JonnyXDA can eat soup with a fork.JonnyXDA can eat soup with a fork.JonnyXDA can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Well, bother. I thought that when I saw the .exe, but couldn't see it specified/discussed. Looking at the instructions though, I don't suppose a kind person could run the relevant app for me (the only thing I don't want is wifi insomnia) and offer me the resulting KoboRoot.tgz? I've a Glo on 2.8.1.
Here you go >>> http://darkforest-roms.co.uk/Misc/KoboRoot.tgz

JonnyXDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #102
babadockia
Zealot
babadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kobo aura hd, trekstor pyrus maxi with texet 138 firmware
i can confirm the patch is applying also on files "kepub"-ified with koboextended driver. geeeezuuuz, guys!!! you are simply amazing
babadockia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:44 AM   #103
JLuecking
JLuecking began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I mainly read kepubs, so I went back to release 2.6.1 and applied the patch. Version 2 of the patch had footer values of 50, 50, 20. I changed it to 60, 60, 20, which is half of Kobo's original value. Both values result in the same footer and number of lines per page wth my settings . So I am ok now. I also avoid the 2.8.1 bug with my kepubs showing a blank page. I have a workaround, but 2.6.1 works better in this aspect, too.

Joachim
JLuecking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #104
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by babadockia View Post
i can confirm the patch is applying also on files "kepub"-ified with koboextended driver. geeeezuuuz, guys!!! you are simply amazing
fantastic! time to add loadsafonts then :-)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:49 AM   #105
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuecking View Post
I also avoid the 2.8.1 bug with my kepubs showing a blank page. I have a workaround, but 2.6.1 works better in this aspect, too.

Joachim
I noticed the blank page issue too. I fooled around with the line height adjustments of the patch. The blank page issue only seems only to happen at small line heights: 1.2 (1.225?*) and lower. When I set the lowest line height to 1.25 it was gone. I was able to read at small font sizes. I still can be a combination of small line heights and small font sizes. Do some testing and share your experiences.

* My guess, and guess only, that is why Kobo set the lowest line height to 1.225.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote