View Poll Results: What keeps you from buying ebooks
I think that DRM is OK. 11 6.75%
I think that DRM is bad. 93 57.06%
I think that DRM books are harmful to the public interest. 76 46.63%
I would strip DRM from any book that I buy. 75 46.01%
I will not buy a book with DRM. 38 23.31%
I will not pay for a DRM book. 30 18.40%
I have frequently shared paper books, and do share ebooks. 29 17.79%
I have occasionally shared paper books, and would like to share ebooks. 47 28.83%
I rarely share books, but would like that option. 39 23.93%
I never share books. 11 6.75%
I would buy a non-DRM book for $10. 50 30.67%
I would buy a DRM book for less than $5. 35 21.47%
I would only buy a DRM book if it was much less than $5. 22 13.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #46
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
I think there should be a way to pay the author with one click at the moment when I'm totally immersed in the book, and thinking only "what a great read". This option was impossible in the past, but is quite doable on current ereaders. Then I would only regret some authors I read are already dead and my money won't do them much good.
This is one of the strengths of the Amazon bookstore and an under-appreciated perk of choosing the Kindle. Every title has a first chapter free sample that can be downloaded via Whispernet direct to your e-reader. If while reading it you remark "what a great read!" it's only a click or two away right on the device and the whole (now paid for) title magically appears without getting up out of your chair.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #47
cgk
Enthusiast
cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite Signature
Where is "I'm taking the books off the web for free and don't plan to spend a dime under any situation" option?

Note: *I'm* not doing that but it would be interesting to know how many are.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #48
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
This is one of the strengths of the Amazon bookstore and an under-appreciated perk of choosing the Kindle. Every title has a first chapter free sample that can be downloaded via Whispernet direct to your e-reader. If while reading it you remark "what a great read!" it's only a click or two away right on the device and the whole (now paid for) title magically appears without getting up out of your chair.
Yep, that's probably my favorite feature of the Kindle.

Saves having to write down names of books I hear about etc. I read a review or get a suggestion from a friend etc. and just log on to Amazon and send the sample to my Kindle and have it there to peruse when deciding what to read next.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #49
markr
markr doesn't littermarkr doesn't litter

Device: none
As much as I dislike DRM, I'll admit it's price that generally stops me when I go to Amazon to grab a book for my kindle. Just yesterday I went to get a book for my wife, $9.35 for the paperback, $11.35 for the kindle edition. And this is for a book over 10 years old. $9 and they would have had a sale. Frankly anything under $10 and I wouldn't even be looking at the prices.

Another thing is when I see that the US kindle version is one price and the Australian kindle version is $5 more, like it was for a novel recently, or they flat out won't sell it to me. I know it's the publishers and not Amazon forcing this on us, and I hope they realise it is costing sales.
markr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #50
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr View Post

Another thing is when I see that the US kindle version is one price and the Australian kindle version is $5 more, like it was for a novel recently, or they flat out won't sell it to me. I know it's the publishers and not Amazon forcing this on us, and I hope they realise it is costing sales.
Personally, I think that they're trying both to condition us and to discourage the growth of ebook readers.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #51
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That wouldn't shock me. Publishers have to be scared to death of e-books as piracy is so much easier than with paper books.

Much simpler to upload an e-book to a torrent site, e-mail it to friends and family etc. than to scan in a paper book, or make bootleg copies of paper books etc.

I think it's needless personally. Piracy was (and is) much more rampant in the music industry due to that being a much larger industry than books, and they've survived just fine--though the RIAA would have you believe otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, we need huge advances in ways to fight piracy as we move further into the area of digital media and less tangible product. But DRM that isn't even a speed bump for pirates while being a huge hassle for people who legitimately buy the content is not the way to go.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:09 AM   #52
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
What stops you from buying ebooks
My answer isn't in the list.

Geographic Restrictions is a lot worse than DRM. People are putting all DRM schemes in one pile, but there are various versions, some good, some less good, some horrible.

Social DRM (some of your information is added into the book, but you can read it on all devices): no problems there, if you really want DRM, take this one. It won't stop people from reading.

x amount of ID's can be registered: your device has an id, you enter that ID and you can download the book for that id. Mobipocket has it. You can register a few ID's for your account, and you can change the ID after x amount of time. Not good, not bad, you can update your device and still read your books.

I believe the adobe DRM works a bit like this, but it requires authentication (authorisation?) servers. Horrible idea. What if the server goes down? I can't read my book then. I've no idea how it exactly works, as I have never bought an epub book...

Naturally, the fact that there are several versions of DRM implementations out there is the worst of all.

But then GR. This will actually stop me from buying books, because I'm not even allowed to buy books! I need to lie and cheat before I can actually pay for a book.

I will still buy DRM'd books. But only if I can strip the DRM. I don't care how much a book is priced, it depends on the book, not the format and DRM. But, as I'm not allowed to buy the book, I won't. And I will go to the dark side again, when I'm done with my current to-read list, if a book I want is not available to me.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:29 AM   #53
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Geographic restrictions (not included in poll)

If I cannot be allowed to even buy the ebook based on where I reside, nothing else applies.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:48 AM   #54
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
DRM doesn't stop me buying a book, geo-restriction DOES.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:25 AM   #55
nikkers
tragic
nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ classic
You Yanks complain about price. Your expensive books are still cheap compared to Australian and British prices . If we can buy them due to Geo restrictions.
nikkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:39 AM   #56
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
we need huge advances in ways to fight piracy as we move further into the area of digital media and less tangible product
A fair price (~ $5) should be sufficient. If you increase the DRM technology then folks will just produce better software to remove it. I certainly wouldn't bother looking for badly formatted torrents if I could just buy the book for a fair price and in a format of my choosing. No DRM would also mean I'd own my copy. The idea of a button at the end of a book to pay the author sounds intelligent also.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #57
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
The new agency rules have curtailed my ebook purchases far more than DRM. Having to pay a much higher price for ebooks is much more destructive to my reading than DRM. (Most) DRM I can strip.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #58
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
A fair price (~ $5) should be sufficient. If you increase the DRM technology then folks will just produce better software to remove it. I certainly wouldn't bother looking for badly formatted torrents if I could just buy the book for a fair price and in a format of my choosing. No DRM would also mean I'd own my copy. The idea of a button at the end of a book to pay the author sounds intelligent also.
But is that a fair price to the publishers? Are e-books saving them enough in printing, shipping etc. that they make the same profit?

And is it a fair price to the author if they still get 10% of the price in royalties and now the price is lower despite their effort in writing the book being the same? Your donation idea is a good one, but the majority of people never donate to anything--at least in the US per some research I saw a while back.

So while I agree that fair pricing is important, it's still a touch issue. IMO fair pricing to me means an e-book with no DRM that costs the same (or a tad less) than the cheapest print version available at the time. Withtout DRM you're buying the same thing in the same format, and the creator put the same effort into making it regardless of format you bought it in--so price should be the same.

With DRM, I agree. You don't really, truly own the file so it shouldn't cost the same as the print version.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 06-22-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #59
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Isn't this entered automatically by the Smashwords converted or something? If so I wouldn't blame the book or the author. And it's just a polite(ish) request after all. I feel free to ignore it, generally, if I need to.
I believe it is auto-generated, but it's also one of the reasons I stopped publishing with Smashwords (there are others which are more to do with aesthetics and control). We all have choices to make, most of mine seem to end up with me missing out in one way or another.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #60
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I didn't vote because...

Even with all the options given you didn't really list my reason for not buying ebooks. I don't give a whit about sharing my books. I really don't care if a book has drm or not. What I do care about is my ability to use my book on any device of my choice now or in the future. A book I can't use is a book of no value to me. The book can have DRM if all it does is confirm I'm the person using the book. Anything beyond that is too restrictive.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote