Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Buying eBooks from B&N

Hey all,,
I want to buy an eBook from B&N and was wondering if it would be viewable on my SONY PRS505 device or whether it would only work on a freakin' nook. Can anyone help me here?
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It will only be compatible with the Nook.

There are two issues:
  1. It might come in ePub or in eReader format
  2. If ePub, the DRM (encryption) is different to Adobe's standard scheme
If you buy (or download) with the Windows B&N Reader you maximize the odds of getting an ePub. Once downloaded, you will need to strip the DRM to use on your Sony. See Barnes & Noble DRM for EPUB circumvented. Note that doing this for personal use on an ebook you paid for is likely legal in the US.

If you get an eReader ebook (with extension .pdb) its DRM can also be stripped and Calibre can convert to ePub. However, this is a lot of work if the ebook is available elsewhere in ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Thank you Wallcraft,

Do you have any idea where I can buy non-drmed ebooks?
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
See https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-bo...rs_without_DRM
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
The frustrating thing about buying from B&N is that you never know what format you'll be getting. They carry eReader and ePub books. I think the best way to tell is to see if a sample is available, that should tell you what you're getting.

For either one, you can remove the DRM to install it on your reader. If you've decrypted a pdb file, you'll have a directory with the html and images. You can zip this, bring it into Calibre and convert from there. It's a hassle, but it's not too bad.

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There are two issues:
[LIST=1][*]It might come in ePub or in eReader format[*]If ePub, the DRM (encryption) is different to Adobe's standard scheme
Different to Adobe's current scheme. They're planning on rolling it out to ADE and other devices.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Note: I've got over 20 B&N books and samples I've downloaded with the Windows reader and have yet to hit an epub.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsky View Post
Note: I've got over 20 B&N books and samples I've downloaded with the Windows reader and have yet to hit an epub.
ePub seems to be the newer books.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote