Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
alcina
alcina began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Kindle 2 locking up

I am not very impressed. The past two days my Kindle 2 has simply locked up in the middle of reading. I can't navigate with any of the buttons, it just stays on whatever page I was reading. Sometimes when it does this I can't even turn it off for a while, then suddenly I can, though sometimes it also simply goes to one of the "cover pages" and sits there.

Kindle is properly charged. Just bought it in March!

I'm overseas at the moment so I sure hope I don't have to fool with sending it back and paying the excessively high shipping rates both ways!

Anyone have similar problems and maybe a fix?
alcina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:29 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You can try resetting it. Slide the on/off switch to the right for 15-20 seconds and let go. The Kindle will reboot in a minute or two.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 02:55 AM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
It sounds like it's a problem specific to that book. You can report the problem book to Amazon; other than that you'll have to live with it (or return the book for a refund).
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
My K2 has started doing this while midway through the Hobbit - anyone else have this problem? Locking on a page - requiring a reset.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Hawking821
Hawking821 began at the beginning.

Device: none
report the problem to amazon.. they might be able to help..
Hawking821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
You can also do a factory reset. I was having problems where my K2 would randomly reboot itself. I called Amazon and they had me do a factory reset.

From the home screen:

Menu>Settings>Menu>Reset to Factory Defaults

Before you do this backup any older periodicals and personal content. *Everything* will be erased. You will be able to redownload your Amazon content through Whispernet.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
Danariel
Enthusiast
Danariel is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
I put a large chunk of books on mine, including one "Book" that was 54 Heinlein stories, and another that was 50+ Edgar Rice Burroughs stories, and had this problem. I also had major issues with the battery draining from full to nothing in a day. I ran across a thread regarding indexing, and what I think happened was the Kindle got stuck trying to index one of these large files. I took them off, and haven't had the problem since.

I might try loading one of these files at a time, though, and see if it's able to digest it alone.
Danariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Danariel,

Just out of interest, how large are these "large" files?

I have one file (giant collection of mystery stories) that is around 18 MB, plus a couple of others hovering on 10 MB. No problems with these so far, but who knows what might happen.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
Danariel
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, I don't have access to them here at work. However, I had also put over 20 other books on it, too. I think I just need to put them on the Kindle in smaller chunks. :-)

Edit: Ok, I just looked up the Edgar Rice Burroughs collection, and it's 13 MB.

Last edited by Danariel; 05-26-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Hmm. 13 MB seems to be above average, but then again, not all that big. Maybe there's something wrong with the actual files. Be interesting to see what happens if you try adding them back one at a time.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:29 PM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Danariel,

If I'm thinking of the same Heinlein book, then I suspect you got it the same place I did.

You should note that certain files in that "collection" are poorly formatted; they are monospaced fonts where almost every line ends in a hyphen, cut off mid-word. In my experience, Kindle has difficulty indexing those files and will spin and chew on them forever. You will need to delete those particular files from your Kindle to avoid problems.

I think the big Heinlein short story book is, by itself, not a problem.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:14 AM   #12
Danariel
Enthusiast

I managed to find the stories separate, which is better since the ToC didn't translate in the BIG one. So I'm probably not putting it back on. Though the Edgar Rice Burroughs one should be fine, since it's an actual Kindle edition I got from Amazon. I'll try it later, I'm already packed up for bed.

And I'm sure you're right about where I originally got the RAH collection, because some of the formatting DID suck.

I've managed to find so many of the books I own and cherish in ebook formats, and Calibre lets me convert. Since I already own them, I don't feel like I'm doing anything untoward.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:26 AM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur

Since all of the short stories were available seperately or in other collections I did the same, and deleted the big collection. That way I can easily access individual titles.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #14
dianepshuck
dianepshuck began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Angry Kindle Frozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcina View Post
I am not very impressed. The past two days my Kindle 2 has simply locked up in the middle of reading. I can't navigate with any of the buttons, it just stays on whatever page I was reading. Sometimes when it does this I can't even turn it off for a while, then suddenly I can, though sometimes it also simply goes to one of the "cover pages" and sits there.

Kindle is properly charged. Just bought it in March!

I'm overseas at the moment so I sure hope I don't have to fool with sending it back and paying the excessively high shipping rates both ways!

Anyone have similar problems and maybe a fix?
I am having the same problem. I also now cannot access my own library of books at all. I too was overseas and the problem was a big hassle as I had to buy a book to read after downloading several for vacation. I read the reply from service to reboot your Kindle. Duh!!! That was the first thing I tried.
dianepshuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I would encourage both Diane and alcina to contact kindle support, and tell then of your problems. If you didn't get get satisfaction from one rep, try again. Rep knowledge and helpfulness varies.

Repeated lockups are not 'the norm' and if your unit is defective, they will ship you a new unit, and you will not have to pay shipping either way.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote