Notices

Old 03-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #1
spitfire_ch
Enthusiast
spitfire_ch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Question force full-book page numbers in kebubs

Hi,
there is one reason why I always use epubs instead of kepubs: I can't stand page numbers that depend on the font size. They don't tell me anything. I want to be able to compare the size of different books depending on their total page numbers. For that, I need a consistent way of page numbering.

So far, I always thought this is only possible in epubs but not in kepubs ... until I stumbled over this:

-- link removed --

"Page numbers show the number of page turns remaining in the current chapter instead of the estimated number of pages for the entire book. (If you don't want this, there is an option in the driver settings to force full-book page numbers.)"

But I can't find this option. There are no driver settings on my reader, nor are there any options regarding page numbers in the kobo plugin settings for Calibre (KoboTouch and KoboTouchExtended).

Does anybody know what settings they could be talking about or of any other way how to enforce proper page numbering in kepubs?

Thanks a lot for any help!

EDIT: Ah, darn, I was just blind!

The option is right here:

Calibre -> Plugins -> KoboTouchExtended Options -> Extended Tab -> Use full book page numbers

EDIT2: Alas, it doesn't work. At first, the font settings disappeared (font size etc.), but the total page number was the same as with the epub of the same book. When I switched to another book, the font settings reappeared, but the page numbers were back to kepub default (no longer stable but depending on the font). This remained that way when I switched back to the original book.

Too bad, back to epub for me, can't use kepub that way. Kobo should really make this a proper option.

EDIT3: Link removed

Last edited by spitfire_ch; 03-08-2020 at 05:02 AM. Reason: doesn't work
spitfire_ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:39 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The short answer to your question is that you can't. Kobo changed the way that it does full book page numbering in kepub, and there is no support for the old way in the recent firmware. If you really want that option, you need to downgrade the firmware.

As to the option in the extended driver, no, it doesn't do anything with the current firmware. But, it does with older firmware. And it wasn't strictly needed for a lot longer as it was added when Kobo added a hidden option for full book page numbering in kepubs which was a while before they added the option in the settings. But, the driver is compatible with all versions of the firmware. While this option doesn't do anything for current firmware, it also doesn't break anything, so there is no real reason to remove it. But, updating the tooltip might be a good idea.

And for the record, there is absolutely nothing on that page that is not well discussed in this forum. And it isn't a popular one to mention here as the tools they sell use the open source DRM removal tools with no credit given.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2020, 03:28 AM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's a word count plugin for Calibre. Comparing books for size with the word counts would be more accurate than the page counts since the books could have different line lengths, number of lines per page, and so forth.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:59 AM   #4
spitfire_ch
Enthusiast
spitfire_ch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thanks lot for the information, guys. At least I can stop searching, now. Yes, sorry, I was blind initially. During my search yesterday I have found the other discussions on that topic. There seems to be a little "war" between people that prefer fixed page numbers and those that prefer flexible page numbers. My side seems to be the loosing side. But I haven't found the info you just provided on the firmeware change, thx.

I am not using epubor, btw. Just stumbled over that page when googling for my problem. I have removed the link, now, in order to not direct people there.

The word count plugin is an old and trusty friend of mine

Last edited by spitfire_ch; 03-08-2020 at 05:03 AM.
spitfire_ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:48 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_ch View Post
Thanks lot for the information, guys. At least I can stop searching, now. Yes, sorry, I was blind initially. During my search yesterday I have found the other discussions on that topic. There seems to be a little "war" between people that prefer fixed page numbers and those that prefer flexible page numbers. My side seems to be the loosing side. But I haven't found the info you just provided on the firmeware change, thx.
I used to find the page count wars (not just here, but in other parts of the forum) amusing. But, they have gotten boring.
Quote:
The word count plugin is an old and trusty friend of mine
I use a metadata plugboard to put the word count and Adobe page count into the description. The latter is really habit and I don't have a good feel for how long a book is based on the word count. From memory, someone here appends it to the author. Another thing would be to put it in the subtitle. That would be seen in the book lists and not mess with sorting or the other lists.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
kepub, page numbers, settings