Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #1
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Cover not appearing correctly

Hi,

I've been creating ePubs with Atlantis Word Processor. I've been putting the book cover as the first page (of a word file) and it used to appear correctly on my Sony Reader T1. Recently, they've been appearing as the full first page of the word doc, so the cover size and proportions don't show up correctly. I have been modifying the ePubs to change margins, styles, and fonts but not sure how this could affect the cover. Maybe someone has an idea of how to make the cover a .jpg only instead of the first page?

The content.opf looks like this:

<meta name="cover" content="cover"/>
</metadata>
<manifest>
<item id="id001" href="001.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
<item id="cover" href="images/cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
</manifest>
<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="id001" linear="no"/>
</spine>
<guide>
<reference type="cover" title="Cover" href="001.html"/>
</guide>
</package>

I've tried removing the guide section that lists 001.html as the cover but that seems to not be it.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
There is no "proper cover" in ePUB, it's just the first page, and the first page cannot be a bare image, it must be wrapped in XHTML. The <meta name="cover"> element is often used by some programs to generate a cover thumbnail, and there you do reference an image file, but in the main book (the <spine>) you can only use XHTML documents.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: mac, ipad, nook, kindle
this is a pretty good resource regarding cover images

http://blog.threepress.org/2009/11/2...-cover-images/
SamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Thanks guys for the info.

I have looked at that link SamL.

What I couldn't figure out was why some books show the first page as cover (w/the wrong proportions) while others show only the image (those look ok). That's on my Sony Reader. Everything is fine in iBooks. Maybe some issue with the T1 and smaller image sizes. Who knows. Or if there was some way to fix it maybe scaling the image if the issue was the image size.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote